• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian Primal/Paleo Meals

Yes, it can be done! Share yours

Eggs + cabbage cooked in EVCO:

Vegetarian Paleo Meals: Eggs and Cabbage | Jenn's Menu & Lifestyle Blog
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

if you eat eggs and dairy, i think it's easy to do vegetarian paleo. no problem. you're going to have a hard time putting on muscle without adding in whey protein, but health-wise: no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
      if you eat eggs and dairy, i think it's easy to do vegetarian paleo. no problem. you're going to have a hard time putting on muscle without adding in whey protein, but health-wise: no issues.
      Oh, I eat meat/seafood but also love plants. Just thought a thread dedicated to vegetarian meals/recipes could be handy.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I used to make a vegetable casserole that was delicious back in the bad old days. Thinking back, it was actually pretty healthy.

Start with browning an onion in a pan and add whatever veges you like - we us to have carrots, turnip (swede), parsnip, green beans, mushrooms, cauliflower etc. As each batch is browned put into a casserole dish. At this stage I use to add a can of some soup, now it would be some home made stock or broth. It was topped by mashed potato (cauli or sweet potato could be substitute) an bake for 40 mins on medium heat, then add grated cheese for a golden top and bake a further 15 mins. Very filling and yummy.
        Odille
        F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
        following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

I love:
          Poached eggs served with a kale and sweet potato saute
          Omelets
          Fritata with goat cheese, sweet potato and spinach (an old pre-primal fave!)
          I do a lot of salads topped with poached eggs- good combos include:
          spinach, sweet potatoes, maple vinegarette
          Arugula, slow roasted tomatoes, garlic vinegarette

Beet and sweet potato hash with eggs
          Fried eggs on a bed of sauted zucchini

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
            This is true in my experience. I usually only eat fish in one meal per day and I don't eat meat. I have been able to put on muscle easily without adding whey protein. However, most of the dairy I eat comes from goats cheese, which is made from whey. I prefer to eat a more natural, traditional and tasty product.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

While I don't understand how people who claim to be vegetarian can eat eggs or dairy , I have a few "vegetarian" friends that I'd like to be able to offer them some paleo/primal ideas for meals.

When I think primal, I start first by removing things: grains, legumes, etc. The problem is, this is most of what these guys eat! I might be able to get them to eat some fish (like I said, "vegetarians"), but the only solution I see is a lot of eggs.

What are some good primal protein sources that might be agreeable to a vegetarian? Thanks.

Comment

'meatless' is probably a better word than vegetarian. I like:
                eggwhite and sweet potato o banana souffles once in a while
                eggplant caviar with dehydrated veggie chips
                eggplant and peppers lecho (or antipasti)

my folks adore squasheroni and cheese.... Normally, though, we always have meat of some sort.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinous View Post
                  While I don't understand how people who claim to be vegetarian can eat eggs or dairy
                  You're probably confusing vegetarian and vegan. Vegetarian generally means eggs and dairy (at least as far as labelling in the UK is concerned). Vegan means plant only, although strictness varies a bit when it comes to stuff like honey for example.

Eggs and dairy are obvious. Vegan primal proteins are quite limited. Nuts and nut flours, and if you are willing to stretch the definition of primal a lot, lentils and traditional soy products, like tofu. But yeah, there's a reason vegans and paleo/primal are generally regarded as opposites.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyRoots View Post
                    You're probably confusing vegetarian and vegan.
                    No, I get the vegetarian/vegan difference. Eating eggs and dairy just seems counter to the actual definition of "vegetarian."

I hadn't thought of nut flour. I'll look into it.

Comment

I would say that most vegetarians see eggs/milk as the cast-off of the animal that doesn't harm them in the production (per se, depends upon method). My friend lived in rural india for years, where lacto-ovo vegetarianism was widely practiced, but different people (based on their station in life, class, etc) might be vegan or might even consume meat. It just depended.

When I was vegetarian, I would often make frittata bakes (big ones) which I could eat most of the week, as well as a lot of soups (pre-bone broth, but lots of diverse veggie broths), various salads, etc. I didn't eat a lot of grains/legumes because I didn't care for them.

Comment

Looks gorgeous.

Comment

Great thread - more inspiration is always good!

At the moment I'm favouring simple dishes that can be made super quickly, and are pretty fresh and green.

- Omlettes with mushrooms, olives, cheese (either feta or Camobere), and parsley (amazing vitamin C source).

- Cooked spinach with olive oil, salt and crumbled feta cheese.

- Fresh Mozzarella ball sliced and drizzled with olive oil, salt and basil leaves (served with lots of veggies).

- Salad of parsley, tomato and avocado (super foods galore).
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I know i sound repetitive but: the cauliflower crust pizza is so good and does not need to include meat! Just grated cauliflower, egg and herbs for the crust. As a topping i use artichok hearts, fruited onions, tomatoes, raw (goat) cheese and spinach. See for the crust: Cauliflower Crust Pizza | RecipeGirl.com The grated cauli only needs 3 minutes to be done on 400mw.

- Dipping mushrooms in egg & herbs than bake = a nice filling snack!
                            - Mushed tayer leafs & root (arrowleaf elephants' ear) in pepperbells. You can buy tayer in almost every tiny ethnic store or market, its cheap and super good! The root is used as a (carb) staple but the leafs are highly nutricious and include protein in relatively large amount (depending on quality).

Comment

Oh man, most of these suggestions have been a little depressing, but that cauliflower pizza idea sounds great! I'm going to have to try that out. Mine will be covered in meats and sausages, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X