Steak and Kidney Stew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak and Kidney Stew

Here it is! I adapted this from a recipe in The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American. It was orginially made as a pot pie. Serve with a green salad.

-3+ slices of bacon, cut into a large dice

-1 1/2 pounds of chuck steak cut into 1/2 inch dice

-about 1 1/2 cups beef stock or 1 cup stock + 1/2 cup red wine

-3 TBS soy sauce (wheat free)

-2+ garlic cloves, crushed

-2 - 4 lamb or veal kidneys, cleaned of inner fat and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (2 medium or 4 small kidneys)

-10 oz mushrooms, sliced

-1/2 yellow onion, chopped

-3 TBS chopped fresh parsley

-1 tsp dried thyme (or to taste)

-1/2 tsp dried sage (or to taste)

-cornstarch to thicken (optional)

-salt and pepper to taste

Heat a heavy dutch oven and lightly brown the bacon. Turn up the heat and brown the beef well. Add enough stock to barely cover and put a lid on the pot. Simmer the meat until tender, about a half an hour.

Add the remaining ingredients, except the cornstarch. Save a bit of the liquid to mix with the cornstarch (you can always use water, too). Simmer for another 15 minutes. Decide if you want to thicken the stew.

To thicken: for every cup of liquid in the pot combine 1 TBS cornstarch with the reserved stock. Mix well and add to the pot, stirring as you add. Continue stirring until thick. Don't boil or the thickening may "break".

You can make this into a pot pie by putting the stew into a 10" deep dish pie pan and covering with a crust of your choice. Bake accordingly (about 40 minutes at 375 degrees F for the traditional flour crust).

Awesome! I'll have to get my ingredients together so I can make this. Gotta figure out which packages in the freezer are kidney...

Comment

Okay Deb, I think I'll be able to try the kidneys with this...I'm still a little nervous though!!!

You are what you eat,
      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

what do kidneys taste like?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

To me... they're more livery than liver. :P

Comment

Kidneys are kinda smokey tasting and I think they have a better texture than liver. Make sure you get the inner memberane out as that part's really tough. The smaller the kidneys, the more milder they are, too.

Believe it or not, this is one of my 9 year old's favorite dishes!

Comment

bump....any more descriptions on beef kidney taste? i have one thawing currently. if it is similar to liver ill be in heaven b/c thats my favorite but any help and cooking tips appreciated!
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Parboil it first for a few minutes to get out the gunk. Then cut it up and take out that tough membrane as others have said. Then either saute cook quickly, just a few minutes; or put in some kind of steak/kidney pie which is medium heat in oven for a while.

Comment

how do you get the tough membrane out? is it in the middle? mine just looks like a big dark red blob
                  Get on my Level

Comment

yup, i liked kidney haha go figure
                    Get on my Level

Comment

Yes, it is the white stuff in the middle. Unless you have kidneys from a very young animal (like baby lamb or veal) then the white stuff is inedible and will not sit too well in your stomach. The red meaty parts around the white membrane are what you want. So once you parboil it, slice it in half and you should see what I am talking about. Then slice each half in half (4 pieces) and cut out the center membrane. Then you can cut up the red pieces and use in a recipe.

Comment

I had a recipe that said to soak them in salted water for a while, & that would mild the flavour a bit. I had some lamb kidneys which I diced & added to a skillet of onions & bacon. oh my it was heavenly. I still have some bison kidneys to cook up in a pie/stew...

Comment

When I was a lad and working in my pop's butcher shop, if I wasn't careful breaking down whatever was on the hook and cut the kidneys, the beast would actually piss on me.

When people asked about how to prepare kidneys, the stock answer was, "First you boil the piss out of them." I could eat kidney if it was served, but I didn't enjoy the smell when you start to cook them.
                          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Just made the steak & kidney stew in the PB cookbook. I used bison meat & a bison kidney. I didn't have any fresh carrots, but I had a can of mushrooms, & I added frozen veg mix at the end (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). Turned out lovely. I made quinoa flour buttermilk biscuits to go with. Interesting flavour!

Comment

Working...
                            X