Chicken hearts and Gizzards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken hearts and Gizzards

Cooked with cilantro, carrots, cayenne pepper, minced ginger and garlic, coconut oil; served alongside asparagus dusted in a black truffle salt.

IMG_0360.jpg
    ad astra per aspera

That sounds goooood. I've never been much of a gizzards fan, but I'm going to have to try that. Love fried chicken hearts though.

Comment

Have you ever tried cooking gizzards in a pressure cooker? I'm wondering how they would be in a stew and if the pressure would soften them up.

I LOVE gizzards but the only way I've ever had them is breaded and fried. I'm looking at all my primal gizzard options.
      "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Try this?

Duck gizzard with mushroom wine sauce « The Clean Palate

I've also tried chicken hearts and gizzards in a stew. They make really, really delicious broth too. I add some green onion and ginger because I'm Asian
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

gizzards are great, particularly with liver, but damn are they a pain in the butt! just to get 'em soft enough you gotta boil the crap out of them first.

Comment

Ha ha!

This is the first time I had gizzards and the texture is definitely very cartilage-like. To be honest though I actually liked it! It is a texture that I have never experienced before! I don't think I would like it as much if it chewed the same as muscle meat. The flavor is different than muscle or liver but what I actually enjoyed most about it was the chewiness. The girl I cooked it for wasn't the same though and said polite things like "next time I wan't to experiment cooking it in a pressure cooker or slow cooker"

/shrug

me simple cat
            ad astra per aspera

Comment

I hurt my teeth trying to chew gizzards. Can they be made soft? Does the long boil really work?
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I always simmer my gizzards in my bone broth when I'm making a batch.
                I just put them into mesh (not too fine) strainer and set them on top until they become soft. (Yes they do soften.)
                They help to flavor the broth and give up some of their collagen/cartilage, so it's a two birds with one stone kind of deal.
                I do the dame with chicken hearts. since I usually end u wit a mixed pack of heats and gizzards.

LOVE me some gizzards!
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Will try that next time!
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Oh yes... after they are soft you can finish them as you please... a quick toss/sizzle in some tasty fat and herbs/spices is good. =)
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I am jones-ing for some gizzards now. I'm going to try this recipe and soak them in the buttermilk/onions for a day then fry some with arrowroot/almond flour and some in pressure cooker stew. I don't want them to be too tender. The chewiness is part of the attraction.

But they're like conch. Usually conch is tough as hell but I had it one time on dive trip in the Bahamas when we dove to collect some then pounded the meat with a mallet to tenderize it, breaded it, and fried it. Man it was like tough veal. Soooooo good. If I can do the same with gizzards I'll be eating them every week.
                      Last edited by denasqu; 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM.
                      "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Originally posted by thefastcat View Post
                        cooked with cilantro, carrots, cayenne pepper, minced ginger and garlic, coconut oil; served alongside asparagus dusted in a black truffle salt.

[ATTACH]6060[/ATTACH]

yummm!!!!!!
                        SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Comment

I was raised on gizzards, my gramma always slow cooked them with peppers and mushrooms, broth and white wine. Never tried to make them myself, I'll hafta give them a go one of these days. They are delicious
                          SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Comment

I tried cooking gizzards for a little while in some duck fat. They were chewy and delicious. I'll definitely go for them again. For me, the chewiness was part of the appeal, but I'm sure that they would soften more if you cooked them for long enough.

Same thing with chicken hearts; although they're not as chewy, they still have a fun texture to them. Stick 'em on a skewer with some marinade and pop 'em in the broiler.

Comment

I've got two pounds of gizzards doing a 24 hour soak in buttermilk and onions. T mins 23:35:18 till fried gizzards and gizzard stew!

Comment

Working...
                              X