Favorite sea vegetables?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite sea vegetables?

What is your favorite type of seaweed? Nori is always a solid choice, and I've tried dulse (tasty, but very briny) and laver (the Atlantic version of nori- so-so taste, and way too chewy and rubbery IMHO). Any other suggestions? I usually chop or crumble some into salmon or tuna, or throw some into soup.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

I wanted a snack before bed the other night, so ripped open a bag of nori sheets and ate it like a cracker, lol. It was so good I added some veggies and plain tuna to another sheet with some fresh pico de gallo and nom nommed.

Sorry, I'm not being helpful, just had to share. I have some kelp noodles that I am dying to try and also ordered some dulse on amazon the other night after my epic snack. Sea veggies are trending hard! They're so good for you.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

ďIt does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.Ē - Samuel Adams

Comment

I like wakame.

Comment

I love nori and will eat dead loads of it if I'm allowed.

I also like the crunchy seaweed salad that you get from the Japanese restaurants, but I don't know how to make it at home. I bought some dried seaweed and reconstituted it because I keep reading everywhere that you make seaweed salad with dried seaweed, but it was just a gooey black mess and tasted awful - it wasn't the brilliant green crunchy stuff that I was expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Spubba View Post
          I love nori and will eat dead loads of it if I'm allowed.

I also like the crunchy seaweed salad that you get from the Japanese restaurants, but I don't know how to make it at home. I bought some dried seaweed and reconstituted it because I keep reading everywhere that you make seaweed salad with dried seaweed, but it was just a gooey black mess and tasted awful - it wasn't the brilliant green crunchy stuff that I was expecting.
          Damn, I forgot about that stuff- delicious. A quick google search for recipes does not turn up much... might have to buddy up with a local sushi chef.
          "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            I like wakame.
            I love wakame too. I put it in my chicken soup or just in broth with some scallions. So good!!

I'll have to give some nori a try next.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I really like Irish Moss. I get it from Mountain Rose Herbs (link on my blog if you're interested), and it comes dried and in flakes. Very easy to mix into scrambled eggs or sprinkle into soups/stews.

I'll also snack on some dulse if I'm in the mood for something salty. It cures salt cravings pretty quickly
              Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
              www.forgottendomesticarts.com

Comment

I actually JUST came home with a package of kelp sheets. I could snap/cut off "chips" of it. It's kind of good to just eat - like really chewy almost crispy, very satisfying. The taste is weird though - some bites were oddly sweet and some were insanely salty (I expected salty, but this was kind of painful). FWIW.
                carl's cave

Comment

SeaSnax are my heart sea green right now.
                  Doesn't say what it is, just "Seaweed" - but it sure is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
                    SeaSnax are my heart sea green right now.
                    Doesn't say what it is, just "Seaweed" - but it sure is good.
                    I love Sea Snax! I just wish they didn't cost so much... over here it was like 2 bucks for one package. :/ The little nori snacks cost less, I try to find the ones with the fewest additives.

Comment

kombu
                      wakame
                      hijiki
                      nori
                      aosa
                      ao nori
                      mozuku
                      umi budo

all fantastic when prepared and used correctly
                      Primal food in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Faumdano View Post
                        kombu
                        wakame
                        hijiki
                        nori
                        aosa
                        ao nori
                        mozuku
                        umi budo

all fantastic when prepared and used correctly
                        Can you share some tips? I like wakame with my sardines and maybe some sesame oil and tamari. I tried some hijiki today and it is interesting. Totally different from what I was expecting. Little seed-like pieces almost.

Comment

Sea beans! Also called samphire. I don't know if they grow in the water exactly but they are only found in coastal areas so I assume so. Very popular in the Mediterranean region, simply boiled then served cold with olive oil and lemon juice. I've seen them a few times at Whole Foods.
                          My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

I tried organic Dulse and could not eat more than a bite. Any recipies to use up the rest of the package, folks? Would be grateful to make something edible of it!
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I get some from my local Asian market, no idea what the hell they actually are. Will make impromptu seaweed salads, or throw into the pot with bone broths.

Two notes of caution. I love the seaweed salad from sushi joints, but it's all loaded with sugar. Also, bought some seaweed snacks from Costco, tasty things, but after eating half of them saw vegetable oil on the ingredients list. Just be aware that some snacks may hide nasty cargo.

Comment

Working...
                              X