Offal Success!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offal Success!

My first foray into offal was well...awful...liver and I did not get along! After buying a side of grass-fed beef last October, including a majority of all the organ meats from the animal, however, it was time to try once again.

It started with about 3 pounds of Beef Heart (how appropriate for the day before Valentine's Day :

Then I had to trim some of those arteries off the meat:

Next came the best part...wrapping the entire thing in one pound of bacon:

And now it is tied up with cooking twine, ready to go into the dutch oven:

Once in the dutch oven, I added sliced carrots, sliced yellow onion, 3/4 cup red wine, 3/4 cup hot beef stock, thyme/oregano/parsley/black pepper/bay leaves. After bringing the liquid to a boil on the stove, the entire thing went into the oven (lid on) for 4 hours at 350 degrees fahrenheit:

It looked and smelled AMAZING after four hours! :

I sliced it thinly, and this is the final plate:

It tasted great! Similar to any other roast, but the meat was a little bit...smoother I guess is the word I'd use. Very tender, and tasted much more like a roast or steak than like liver (which was a good thing). The bacon was a bit carmelized and delicious, and the sweetness of the carrots and onions permeated the entire dish. I only had one beef heart to work with, so I'm really glad it turned out so well! The leftovers will be amazing

It seems like a tough cut, so I think it really needs the long cooking time to help make the meat tender. I would definitely recommend it as an introduction to organ meats!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

looks GOOD.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Hannah-

That looks YUMMILICIOUS!!!

Comment

SCORE! Way to go hannah. Looks quite tasty.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Thank you!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

YAY! I'm glad to hear it's better than liver (ew).

Comment

Seriously DC, hubs and I hated the liver...we still have a lot of it though, so I'm thinking of making fried patties a la DR sometime. Maybe enough garlic will help!

You are what you eat,

Comment

Can't stand liver, myself, though I hear beef liver and calf liver are two entirely different beasties.

And oh my goodness - great camera work and DELICIOUS looking food.

Comment

Good call. Low heat, long cooking.

I love liver, in fact, thinking of doing it for tonight. The trick is the sear it on both sides (as someone said in another post) and then cook it in liquid. You can use plain water, or broth, add carrots and onions, just experiment.

Comment

*DROOL* Great camera work Hannah!

Comment

OTB are you talking about beef liver or "young calf" liver? I have a TON of beef liver from the cow I just got (1/4 cow but I got the whole liver) and have no clue how to cook/eat it ... never had it before and would like a positive first experience.

More tips = much appreciated!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Came back to this thread as I'm eating my liver....well, a calf's. The difference between calf and beef isn't great, some stronger flavor in the latter.

My mother didn't liquid cook the liver, which I ate as "OK", but my mother-in-law did the liquid cook and I loved it.

Slice the liver thin, 1/4" or so.

Brown in butter on each side so that when the blood shows on the upper side, flip it.

I used a can of beef broth and added an onion, sliced, let it simmer. Near the end I added mushrooms.

Traditionally, one would make the liquid into gravy, do as you wish. It's good even thin.

Works for me!

Comment

Ah OTB that makes sense, our liver is from an older cow too, it was about 18 months at slaughter I think. The liver definitely had a strong flavor. Braising in beef broth sounds like it would help a lot though, it would be worth a try! I just seared on both sides the first time, which left the flavor way too potent...thanks for your version though!

You are what you eat,

Comment

Oh and just to give credit where credit is due, hubby took all the pictures! He's doing great in his photgraphy class, which is good for me

You are what you eat,

Comment

thanks OTB.

I have read about soaking liver for a couple hours in milk before cooking it to make the flavor mellow a bit... have you ever tried that?

How long do you let it simmer in the broth?

Comment

Working...
                              X