Storing cooked food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing cooked food

Reading here and on other websites about Paleo, it seems alot of people do a big cook-up one day a week to make things easier.

I've been taught that meat, either raw or cooked, should be stored in the fridge for no more than 2-3 days.

Do any of you manage to stretch it out for longer? If so, how?

And if the meat has been thawed from frozen, then cooked, can it be re-frozen in meal sized portions without affecting the nutrients?

Thanks!
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I freeze stuff if I'm not going to use it "soon" but generally use the sniff test.

Yes it's fine to refreeze the cooked meat in terms of safety, and I can't see it harming the nutrition.

Comment

Once cooked, most foods will last seven days. I am one that preps ahead of time, generally on Sundays. Anything left by Saturday morning gets used up in a big stir fry for breakfast or into soup which is cooled and frozen for later.

Comment

The freezer is definitely your friend here. I'm cooking for just myself 90% of the time, so when I do a big batch meal like chili, stew, pot roast, etc. I freeze portions so I have an extra 2 or 3 meals that I have ready to reheat when I'm pressed for time but still want real food. Or as something I can throw in the microwave at work and have for lunch as an alternative to the cafeteria.

I also travel quite a bit for work, so the freezer is also a good place to have a ready-made meal at home when I've just gotten off the plane and am tired, but really just want to get home and relax without having to worry about shopping for another day or so.

*note that some foods freeze/thaw/reheat better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
          I freeze stuff if I'm not going to use it "soon" but generally use the sniff test.

Yes it's fine to refreeze the cooked meat in terms of safety, and I can't see it harming the nutrition.
          sniff test x2
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

I usually cook several big meals on the weekends, enjoy a little with the fam, and freeze the rest. so my freezer is full of individual portions of cooked meats, stews, etc.

very easy to just grab a couple portions in the morning on the way out the door, or even if you dont feel like cooking after work.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input- I've had food poisoning a couple of times in the past so I guess I've been hyper-vigilant about such things. In saying that, both times have been from eating out and have involved rice, which apparently is one of the worst foods to keep warm. Whole family chucking on a 6hr drive home from Christchurch after eating in a mall food court!

Anyway, I've had a rummage and found lots of small containers with lids which will surely work better than dipping into one big dish daily. I've put the bone broth into jars in the freezer and am having a big cook-up today which will be divided up too.

And just to sure I've reduced the temperature in my fridge

Comment

Oh btw, can you successfully freeze chicken liver pate?

Comment

Seems anything stored while hot with a layer of hard fat on the top as it cools stays good indefinitely, weeks at least.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    Seems anything stored while hot with a layer of hard fat on the top as it cools stays good indefinitely, weeks at least.
                    Thanks, what sort of fat would you recommend? Would ghee be ok, I don't use lard and coconut oil is too pricey

Comment

Never tried ghee. Just using beef tallow. It's the cheapest fat I've found. Just chop and boil suet.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Pish!

With modern refrigeration, this really isn't a big deal.

I do my cookups on Sunday. Whatever I cook then if it's not out of the frig by Saturday, I eat it all then. I've not gotten food poisoning yet. Now, I'm pretty careful about using airtight containers, trying to remove as much air as possible, using the right sized container so you don't have 3 pieces of chicken and a cubic foot of air, taking the containers out only long enough to get what I need and then right back in the frig, so if you are more cavalier with your food handling, you might have problems.
                        Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                        Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
                          Pish!

I certainly won't be cavalier: very cautious more likely!

And I could be friends with someone who says pish..

Comment

Cook volume on Sunday, clean fridge on Friday, be sure to sniff before eating--my general habit.

My only concern is when there's a large amount of very hot, dense liquid--stew, hearty soup, braising liquid with pulled meat. Then I am often in a quandary--leave it out to cool, then to fridge (keeps fridge from warming up; once room temp, cools quickly in fridge).... or, put in fridge to cool (leaving out for the time required to cool is too long in the danger-zone temps).

I've tried putting the cooked item in a sink of ice, to cool more quickly before going in to fridge--but it requires a hell of a lot of ice, I have a refrigerator without an ice maker, and I'll be damned if I'll pay for frozen water (unless it's to keep beer cold at a good party).

Anyway.

Honest question--Do you all feel comfortable freezing items in glass containers? Provided there is sufficient space at the top for expansion. For some reason, this makes me nervous enough that I have not tried it, despite a hoarders' worth supply of various sized of glass containers.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvalab View Post
                              Cook volume on Sunday, clean fridge on Friday, be sure to sniff before eating--my general habit.

My only concern is when there's a large amount of very hot, dense liquid--stew, hearty soup, braising liquid with pulled meat. Then I am often in a quandary--leave it out to cool, then to fridge (keeps fridge from warming up; once room temp, cools quickly in fridge).... or, put in fridge to cool (leaving out for the time required to cool is too long in the danger-zone temps).

I've tried putting the cooked item in a sink of ice, to cool more quickly before going in to fridge--but it requires a hell of a lot of ice, I have a refrigerator without an ice maker, and I'll be damned if I'll pay for frozen water (unless it's to keep beer cold at a good party).

Anyway.

Honest question--Do you all feel comfortable freezing items in glass containers? Provided there is sufficient space at the top for expansion. For some reason, this makes me nervous enough that I have not tried it, despite a hoarders' worth supply of various sized of glass containers.
                              I've used jars for years without problems- don't really like plastic with it being porous, it degrades over time when washed in really hot water which is necessary to get stains and grease off. Never been a fan of aluminium either being a toxic material; why pay for containers when you can recycle?

A small mayo or jam jar is just the right size for one serving of soup or stock (I live alone).

I just put a huge jug of hot chicken stock in the fridge and a dish of the cooked chicken- the fridge is cold enough to cope since the vegetable drawer is seperate.

Comment

Working...
                              X