What's In Your Spice Rack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's In Your Spice Rack?

So...as spices make life so much better, what spices and combinations of spices do you find yourself using?

I do a lot of South Asian cooking, but would love to branch out a little. I buy all my spices in bulk at the Indian Market right now, but I also go to all kinds of other small stores, as well. I see a lot of things I would like to buy...but don't really know how to use them.

Anybody do Moroccan/Persian/Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese/

Portuguese???

I have probably a hundred things in my spice rack, having been very seriously into Chinese, Thai, Indian, Spanish, and classical French cuisines at various times over the years. Penzey's is a wonderful source.

Comment

I cook a lot of Mexican-ish stuff ... so I go through a TON of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.

Fried some pork chops a while ago in the above combo and ate them with scrambled eggs and green chili, and it was awesome.

I would like to do more Indian cooking, but I usually talk myself out of it because I think it will take too much time. Still though, I have curry powder and an assortment of other Indian spices (tumeric, garam masala, etc) on hand that I like to add to sauteed vegetables now and then

I definitely would like to experiment more with cooking food from other cultures, especially the Middle East and the Himalayan region.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh, I would love to hear what spices everybody else uses! I have such a HUGE spice collection...LOL...right now they're all in little baggies, but once we move to our new house I'm going to get magnetic containers to keep them all in and keep them magneted on the fridge or a magnetic whiteboard. I usually use:

red pepper

black pepper

parsley

basil

oregano

tarragon

fennel

rosemary

garlic powder

chili powder

cinnamon

cardamom

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
        *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Comment

I do Moroccan: Ras el Hanout and Harissa mixes are excellent in a tagine (lamb or chicken stew with olives, chickpeas and dried apricots or raisins) . If you can't get the pre-mixed spices, you can make do with ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, pinch of cloves and saffron, orange water and dried rose petals (or rosewater). Yum! Hot pepper too, for Harissa.

Saffron is also good in a Spanish rice-free paella (chicken thighs, chorizo chunks, king prawns and baby octopus) with smoked paprika (pimento), possibly hot if you like it.

I also love Indian mixtures like Garam Masala (for a Karahi type curry with tinned tomatoes) and Tandoori (just sprinkled on chicken wings before grilling, yum!)

Thai: lemongrass, ginger or galangal, onions, garlic, hot red chillies and fish sauce form a base for a red curry (with coconut milk) or a hot and sour soup (with lemon juice and kaffir lime leaves). Mmmm, I feel like some soup now!

What kind of spices were you looking at?

Comment

I'm new to primal, but I've always been an adventurous cook, so FWIW, here are some of my favs:

For lots Morrocan/Middle Eastern dishes, I use harrisa (sp?) it's a hot sauce. Also preserved lemon and rosewater, and cinnamon.

I've learned to buy whole black (or yellow) mustard seeds and cumin seeds as the basis for a good, quick curry.

I grow all kinds of herbs in my summer garden, and it sure livens up a salad to throw in fresh mint, basil, dill, oregano.

If I want something to taste Italian, I use basil, garlic and tomatoes.

If I want something to taste Asian, I use ginger, garlic, soy or fish sauce, sesame oil.

If I want something to taste Caribbean, I use ginger, garlic, hot pepper sauce, mangoes, cilantro.

If I want something to taste sort Mexican-y mole, I use cumin, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.

I always have a jar of kim chee (fermented vegetables) in the frig. These can really liven up a salad or a soup.

Great question!

PWG

Comment

I do some persian, thai and japanese!

Here are my top spices:

SAVORY (Used weekly, at least):

turmeric

cumin

chili powder

black pepper

white pepper

garam masala

fennel pollen

taco seasoning (on eggs in the morn)

fennel seed

caraway

smoked paprika

SWEET (Used weekly, at least):

cardamom!!!

cinnamon

anise

lavender

rose (and rose water)

vanilla BEANS

HERBS(Also used weekly):

lemongrass

cilantro

thyme

GARLIC x9287340273

dill

herbs de provence

mint (used as a savory too in a lot of persian food)

OTHER flavor enhancers (Used a lot but not as often as the above suff!):

tarragon

fish sauce

bonito

wakame/furikake (Okay I lie I eat seaweed like every other day)

saffron

harissa

capers

fresh curry leaves (occasionally)

gochujang (red pepper paste and *SO GOOD*)

tamarind

THINGS I WANT

Galangal

File

Zatar

Szechuan buttons

Im prob forgetting some but I DO use all these! I have quite a developed spice cabinet!!!

I saw someone posted preseved lemons!!! I have a jar "cooking" right now of my own!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Sherissima - could you share some tagine recipes? I'd love to try them but am intimidated by the one's I've come across so far.

Favorite Spices:

Garam Masala

Lemon and Orange Zests

Curry

Cumin

Chili Powder

Garlic (YUM!)

Cinnimon

Fresh italian herbs, especially basil and parsley

Comment

My go-to spice blend is thyme/oregano/parsley/salt/black pepper It goes with everything! I love thyme the most though. It's a fairly "French" combo, but then again that's most of what I cook. I also use a lot of red chili flakes, fennel if I want something to taste Italian (like in meatballs), and sometimes I'll throw in marjoram/tarragon/sage/bay leaf for variety (not together necessarily). I love spices though, I use almost everything I have in my cupboard (too many more to list!).

You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Dang, you guys. This is AWESOME!!!

Here's what I currently have:

Turmeric

Cumin (ground and seeds)

Coriander

Chile Powder

Kalonji seeds

Cloves

Bay Leaves

Ground Cardamom

Whole Cardomom

Cinnamon sticks

Hot Madras Curry Powder

Mild Curry Powder with Fenugreek

Garam Masala blend

Sounds like I need a shopping trip, though ;-)

Comment

There's nothing better than a hamburger dosed up with a good amount of onion powder. Love that stuff.

I also use alot of curry, cinnamon, oregano, basil, garlic powder, & ginger powder.

Comment

I'm pretty eclectic and the contents of my spice rack vary from time to time. Right now:

Allspice (ground)

Asofetida

Bay Leaves

Caraway (seed)

Cayenne

Chili Powder

Cinnamon (stick and powdered)

Cloves (ground)

Corriander (seed)

Cumin (seed and powdered)

Fennel (seed)

Garam Masala

Garlic powder (never used - can't stand it. Bought it for a recipe but couldn't pull the trigger when it was time to cook.)

Ginger (ground)

Nutmeg (ground - yeah, I suck for not grinding fresh)

Mustard (seed, black and yellow)

Peppercorns (black)

Sambhar Powder

Sesame Seeds

Turmeric (though I hate how it turns my all of my plates and utensils yellow)

Comment

Tara - what do you use your wakame in? I enjoyed a stew with it which was chickpeas and millet...obviously needs severe modification, haha!

Otherwise I tend to be drawn to traditional continental herbs -

sage

bay leaves

oregano

basil

rosemary

mixed "Italian"

lemon thyme

also-

paprika

cumin

turmeric

garlic powder

garam masala

hot chilli powder (a blend)

cloves

cardomon pods - probably ancient and useless

coriander powder

coriander dried leaves

pepper (not actually too fond of pepper!)

sweet-

cinnamon (I did have sticks of the actual bark but they went funny)

ginger

mixed spice

nutmeg powder

whole nutmeg (blonde moment - bought them the week after buying the powder!)

vanilla pods

So er yeah not exactly asian inspired! I'd recommend going to ethnic grocers though, in my experience bigger packs, at lower cost, of more pungent goodies.

Comment

Tara,

What exactly IS a Szechuan Button? I'm kinda feeling like I need some if YOU want some :-D

Could you post your favorite Persian recipe?

Thanks for all the awesome tips, Groks and Grokettes <3

Currently I have two turkey legs roasting in the oven; "Shake N Baked" them in a spice mixture, 1/2 tsp each:

Turmeric

Cumin

Coriander

Chile Powder

Garam Masala

Black Pepper

Garlic Powder

Sea Salt

Comment

For Musajen:

Lamb tagine

Fry 1-2 chopped onion and garlic in a couple of Tbs primal fat of choice (olive oil is traditional). Dust pieces of lamb (neck, shank, chops or mixed, 400-600g) with Ras el Hanout and push through the softened onion to brown on both/all sides. Add a tin of chickpeas (drained), a handful (dozen?) of dried apricots, halved, and a handful of black olives. Add water or chicken/lamb stock, more Ras el Hanout and some Harissa. Cover and cook on low heat for 2-3 hrs, until the meat is falling off the bones.

Chicken tagine

Fry 6-8 chicken thighs (and/or drumsticks) skin side down in olive oil (goose fat is nice!), add chopped onions (1-2) and garlic and cover until they&#39;ve softened. Turn the chicken skin side up, add Ras el Hanout (or a mixture of coriander, cumin, cinnamon and saffron), extra cinnamon, 1 Tbs honey, black olives and 1 preserved lemon (in salt), quartered. (You can substitute 3/4 of a raw lemon) Add water or stock to almost cover the meat, and this needs only another 40mins cooking.

These can be done in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan with lid, though a ceramic tagine (or tadjine) dish is traditional.

Comment

Working...
                              X