Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make your own Beef Jerky Maker (Aka dehydrator)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own Beef Jerky Maker (Aka dehydrator)

here's a pdf on how to make your own dehydrator for $10 or so - http://bit.ly/HZKD8

About all I'd change would be adding a small fan to move the air around a bit more.

From this link: http://tinyurl.com/pe4pyb posted by @dannyroddy

This is really cool. I've been thinking about beef jerky the past few days. I actually have a dehydrator and was thinking about giving it a go- would like some jerky to take on a road trip with me beginning July 5 but don't want the sugar laden crap. Thanks for this info!

Comment

I've bought the materials and will try it out tomorrow haha thanks for the link.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and make pemmican while your at it. Carnivore Health has all the info in the above link. I now see jerky as an ingredient for pemmican, not so much a snack itself. Seems a shame to eat jerky that could be in pemmican!

Comment

You don't need a dehydrator to make jerky, just use your oven. Hang your meat strips on the top oven rack, set the oven to 135 degrees, and use a pencil to prop the door open for air circulation. You might want to line the lower rack with foil to catch any drips.

My husband used to use this method for venison jerky and it worked well.

Comment

Ditto on the truckergirl. I recently posted how I made buffalo jerky using my electric oven. Even though the temp wouldn't go below 200 degrees, on average, it worked just great. In fact, I'd say that the 200 degrees helped to actually slow cook the meat, not just dry it out. Even the 1/2" plus thick portions are very edible.

Comment

@Acmebike

What fat do you render for pemmican. I bought beef pemmican from US Wellness Meats and I have to say it was honestly disgusting. Have you tried it?

Comment

I also went out and bought most of the material last night. I'm going to give it a whirl very soon! The one thing I haven't touched since going primal is store-bought jerky cuz there's so much crap in it. If I can make my own without having to spend lots of $$$ on a dehydrator, perfect!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

@fidelity

I couldn't agree more. US Wellness has great meat, but their fat tastes... "wrong".

If you're going to make pemmican for the first time, I would suggest rendering your own fat. Sounds daunting, but its really fun.

Also, spend the extra cash for grass-fed. It tastes a lot better.

www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

For all those living in warmer climes, here's a DIY solar dehydrator:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sola...ydrator-Dryer/

Comment

There's a website (where "Madmuhh" directed me to with his "Bee's Drink" recipe), where they even talk about the cheap/ easy way to make it with ground beef. I was kind of curious and thought I'd try it this week. Seems like a fast and easy way to put in the desired spices and herbs, liquid smoke, etc. without the pain of halfway freezing a large cut of beef and then slicing the pieces 'just right'.

Basically, you'd just mash the meat down to size after adding the flavorings and then dry it in your oven.

Comment

Only a week ago I posted how to make jerky E-Z: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ded-Beef-Jerky

Use cubed steak, that's the trick. Very easy to chew. If you use ground beef, def get the 7% fat (leanest) type.

Comment

I'm doing that!! I have a perfect lamp for it...

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Working...
                          X