Talk to me about lard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about lard

I was at the local farmers market today. loading up for the week, and I noticed they had a bucket of lard. First time I've seen it, and they only had one. It was a small bucket, maybe half gallon, for 6 bucks. is it worth it and what does one do with it?

Just in case I decide to go back and see if they still have it.

If it's from pastured pigs, then I'd say get it.

Properly rendered lard is flavorless and has a high smoke point. In my kitchen, lard replaces any oil in a recipe. I absolutely love it.

I paid 15 dollars for 4 lbs. I just keep it in my freezer and dig a out a bit anytime I need some. FYI, 1 cup of lard weighs 7oz. Just so you don't need to melt it down to measure it.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Comment

I fry with it, dropping small slivers into a pan as and when I need them.

It's an extremely cheap fat that is ideal for high frying.
      Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Thanks for the replays, I think I'll run back out and get it if it's still there. I think I can make it while everyone's still at work. Glad I got the day off.

Comment

Blimey! That's a lot of lard! Lard is good! Ask about the source of the fat first, though.
          You could have a go at making your own: living in the ice age: Rendering Fat <<<<< this is pretty much what lard is!
          Paul
          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Lard is great. I use it for everything. I can't buy lard ready made, sadly, but I am given free range organic pork fat from my butcher and render it down into lard and I use it to cook EVERYTHING! If you like roast potatoes - they are delicious done in pork lard!

Comment

Quite jealous that you are able to find rendered lard at your farmers market! I have to buy the leaf fat at $6/lb. and render my own.

Comment

I use lard since I haven't been able to find any grass fed beef fat. There doesn't seem to be enough to cut any off when processing the cows.

Comment

Who Killed Lard? : Planet Money : NPR
                  Knowledge is power, but Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Well, I went back and bought the lard, so tomorrow I'll start cooking with it. It'll be my first try with it, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Which would you use as an every day cooking oil, lard or coconut oil ?

Comment

Originally posted by RobPhoboS View Post
                        Which would you use as an every day cooking oil, lard or coconut oil ?
                        I'm hoping people recommend lard. I've been cooking a lot lately with coconut oil and I really don't like the taste. I buy mostly the refined type so the flavor is a lot less, but still there a little. I'm gonna start experimenting with this lard, maybe it will become my new all purpose cooking oil.

Comment

Originally posted by cave-e8r View Post
                          I'm hoping people recommend lard. I've been cooking a lot lately with coconut oil and I really don't like the taste. I buy mostly the refined type so the flavor is a lot less, but still there a little. I'm gonna start experimenting with this lard, maybe it will become my new all purpose cooking oil.
                          Lard is easier for me to find in the main supermarket I go to, so I'll start with that and when I get a chance I'll grab a bottle of coconut oil to see how it is.

Comment

Is beef dripping better, worse or much the same as lard for cooking? I much prefer the taste of dripping!
                            I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

I like the taste of lard for most things better than coconut oil, and sometimes I prefer it to butter. Root veggies gently sauteed (or roasted) in lard with sea salt and maybe a spice or two is an excellent, cheap, and delicious staple in my house.

Historically, lard was the "standard" cooking fat.

http://www.eatliver.com/img/2008/3635.jpg
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X