No announcement yet.

substitue for fries ( chips in the uk)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substitue for fries ( chips in the uk)

anyone have any good primal substitutes for french fries?
    cheers
    grockette in uk

That question will lead to another question...Why?
    But if you want a substitute you could try sweet potato chips
    cut into chips
    coat in olive oil or coconut oil
    sprinkle with salt pepper and chilli powder
    bake
    eat
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

i was under the impression that potatoes were a no no in primal diet. Are they primal? Not sure about sweet potatoes. I head they have a high carb count as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GrokinUK View Post
        i was under the impression that potatoes were a no no in primal diet. Are they primal? Not sure about sweet potatoes. I head they have a high carb count as well.
        Depends (greatly) on your goals.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

If you are in a regiment (such as I, training for a half-marathon in April) where you want to add a little bit of carbs post-run/workout and you are not sensitive to nightshades, fries shouldn't be a problem -- in theory. Yes, sweet potato fries are preferable and I have them a lot, but sometimes I just want good old FRIES ya know?

The bigger problem with fries is generally not the nightshades, but rather the oil they were cooked in. Unless you are doing them yourself, odds are they are cooked in some kind of franken-fat/partially hydrogenated/high in O6 PUFA type of sludge.

So, my solution is to cook them on my own. I use a skillet and lard/tallow from pastured animal to cook them up. Small batches and It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's the only way to be sure that what you're getting is clean and with oils that's VERY important. Another thing I do is fry a bunch of thinly sliced potatoes up until crisp and store them away in a ziploc bag and then eat them like chips post-workout. That way, I can cook a lot at once and only have to deal with the frying mess once.
          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Green Plantains. Google tostones.
            kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

I love oven roasted sweet potatoes and turnips. Better than fries!
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
                If you are in a regiment (such as I, training for a half-marathon in April) where you want to add a little bit of carbs post-run/workout and you are not sensitive to nightshades, fries shouldn't be a problem -- in theory. Yes, sweet potato fries are preferable and I have them a lot, but sometimes I just want good old FRIES ya know?

The bigger problem with fries is generally not the nightshades, but rather the oil they were cooked in. Unless you are doing them yourself, odds are they are cooked in some kind of franken-fat/partially hydrogenated/high in O6 PUFA type of sludge.

So, my solution is to cook them on my own. I use a skillet and lard/tallow from pastured animal to cook them up. Small batches and It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's the only way to be sure that what you're getting is clean and with oils that's VERY important. Another thing I do is fry a bunch of thinly sliced potatoes up until crisp and store them away in a ziploc bag and then eat them like chips post-workout. That way, I can cook a lot at once and only have to deal with the frying mess once.
                Agreed. I do like plain old oven fries..made myself with olive oil...from time to time.
                I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Parsnip fries are also good

Comment

..... A salad?
                    Eggplant fries?
                    Any other side you could possibly imagine?

Comment

Originally posted by Credodisi View Post
                      Parsnip fries are also good
                      Totally seconded. Slice them up thin, and after boiling to soften them a bit pan fry with olive oil or tasty butter, a little salt and pepper and tah-dah! Delicious.

Parsnip and carrot fries are my go-to snack. Also good with dipping sauces, like hollendaise and other cream bases.
                      If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
                      If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
                      If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
                      Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
                      Current weight: 212.8
                      Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Comment

Hi.I'm in the UK too and make my own chips. Using either pork or beef lard. I avoided potatoes religiously for the 1st year of eating primal / pale, but read so many people saying they ate potatoes and that they were actually really good for you (lots of nice nutrients) so I added them back in. Not every day by any means, but my weight loss continued (now a shade over 10 stone) and digestive problems that I'd had were much relieved.

In my opinion, the only bad things about chips (fries) is that ones from a fish and chip shop / McDonalds etc use oils that are loaded with omega 6 - and probably used over and over until thoroughly rancid too!

I don't use a traditional chip pan - I fry them briefly in melted lard to cover them well, then tip onto an oven dish and finish in the oven. 20 /25 minutes on high, shaking /turning half way through.

If you can be bothered to boil them for 2 minutes first, then into melted lard, then into the oven, they do come out better - but I can't be bothered usually to go through 3 steps!

Comment

Any root/tuber fried in dripping! Dripping has a high smoke point and strong resistance to oxidisation.
                          You can also read up on how fat lowers the glycemic index - so, eat your chips fried in fat and enjoy them. If you don't need the carbs, keep such helpings to a minimum in quantity and frequency.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Here is a suggestion that goes in a completely different direction. I just make baked green beans (more typically haricot verts which are thinner). My family adores them. I just made myself a burger (no bun of course!) and green bean fries today and didn't miss the regular fries one bit. I usually get haricot verts from Whole Foods but regular green beans (frozen or fresh) work fine. If they are frozen I let them thaw. Then throw them in a ziploc bag with some coconut oil or melted butter. I personally prefer the butter - my coconut oil tastes very much like coconut and it's not an appealing flavor TO ME with the other flavors. Anyway - beans n butter in a bag. Shake until all are covered. Spill onto flat sheet pan (I use a large cookie sheet with sides) and season with sea salt and garlic powder and a dash of pepper and stir up a bit. Spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. This is TOTALLY up to your personal taste. You have to continue mixing them up about every 5 minutes after the first 15 or 20 or the ones on the outside edges start to burn. The longer you let them go, the chewier and more carmelized they are. I like them slightly browned and caramelized but totally shriveled. Seriously - I ate 3/4 of a bag myself so make plenty! They cook faster if you don't overcrowd the pan so only one bag/pound to a baking sheet works best. Did I mention I love these? lol

Comment

No fries.

Comment

Working...
                              X