Marmite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmite?

It's yeast extract. Is it primal? If this is in the blueprint or online, feel free to shame me in your answer.

What the hell do you do with it? The bottle says "I like a good squeeze... between some bread and cheese!" Sounds like fun stuff.

i have no clue if it's primal, but have you tried it? stuff is nasty!! i can't stomach it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
      i have no clue if it's primal, but have you tried it? stuff is nasty!! i can't stomach it.
      lol i've heard it's an acquired taste, and that you either love or hate it. i've only seen it being eaten on toast--have never tried it myself. maybe if it was primal you could put it on veggies if you wanted?

Comment

Hmm. Artificial MSG, huh? "Burn it", "kill it with fire" and "don't even feed it to vermin" all come to mind.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Hmm. Artificial MSG, huh? "Burn it", "kill it with fire" and "don't even feed it to vermin" all come to mind.
          The ingredients on my bottle say yeast extract, salt, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamin, spice extracts (contains celery), riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin b12. You know somethin' I don't?

Comment

How do you not know what yeast extract is?
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Frankly, i stay away from processed food that is processed such that i can't tell physically what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                How do you not know what yeast extract is?
                I can't say

Comment

Google it.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

If it's anything like Vegemite, it's a by-product of the beer brewing industry. Sediment scraped off the bottom of vats. I'd say it's ultra-processed. Vegemite is touted in Australia as a good source of B Vitamins, but it's also verrrry salty. But since it's generally used in such small quantities, if ya like it, use it.

Comment

Ok, I'm educated now. I didn't really know what msg was. It would of course be more obvious to the consumer that it's an ultra-processed product if the ingredient was listed 'autolyzed' yeast extract, but I didn't really know all that was involved in 'extracts' either. Kinda wild.

Comment

I love Vegemite! I am a Kiwi living in the US, but it is so not-primal! Way over processed, but that is one thing I still dream about, some nice toast with drippy butter and vegemite! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

From Wiki: "While the process is secret, the general method for making yeast extract on a commercial scale is to add salt to a suspension of yeast, making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up; this triggers "autolysis", in which the yeast self-destructs. The dying yeast cells are then heated to complete their breakdown, and since yeast cells have thick hull walls which would detract from the smoothness of the end product, the husks are sieved out. As with other yeast extracts, Marmite contains free glutamic acids, which are analogous to monosodium glutamate (MSG). Today, the main ingredients of Marmite manufactured in the UK are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride (table salt), vegetable extract, niacin, thiamine, spice extracts, riboflavin, folic acid, and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret."

Whether its got MSG in or not, it's heavily processed - drinking the yeast sediment from a bottle of live beer would be preferable.

I love Marmite, but don't eat it at all now. It's one of those things that has to be partnered with bread - spreading it on lettuce leaves is not the same.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

The older brother of a friend of mine lived on toast and Marmite from about the age of eleven until eighteen. Anything else made him feel sick and very weak. It didn't seem to do him any harm long term. Today he is a professor of music at Jesus Collage, Cambridge. So I suspect Marmite cannot be all bad, even though it is clearly a non-traditional food. I count peanut butter in the same way - lots of people almost live on peanut butter seemingly without ill effect.

Comment

Ick! Wouldn't go near the stuff. Talk about manufactured crap!

Your mate, Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory. On the label, Marmite calls it ‘yeast extract’. Nowhere in all their literature does the word ‘glutamate’ appear. I asked Unilever why they were so shy about their spread’s key ingredient, and their PR told me that it was because it was ‘naturally occurring … the glutamate occurs naturally in the yeast’. Taken from:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.features3
                              Last edited by thaijinx; 01-25-2012, 03:40 AM.
                              SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                              “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Working...
                              X