Looking for Breakfast Bar Recipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Breakfast Bar Recipe

I'm gradually transitioning into the primal lifestyle but am having a tough time giving up my morning bagel. I'm looking for a breakfast bar replacement that I can make in bulk. I want to take one out of the freezer everyday for breakfast.

Anyone have any good recipe recommendations?

George

How about cake?!

Seriously, I dont know exactly what you want from a breakfast, but my Mum is losing weight and wanted a tasty, yet low carb meal to satisfy her.

I developed protein cake which she makes in a mug every morning, takes 2 mins.... but I supose you could match bake it

One egg, in a mug with one 30g scoop of whatever protein flavour you like, microwave for a minute or so will make a cake alternative.

However this will be a little dry, I prefer to go 50% protein powder, and 50% almond flour. By increase teh fat content you make the cake less dry.

Feel free to add cocoa, sweetener, a mashed banana or whatever! The principle is always one egg plus flour replacement in a mug heres one I amde earlier:

www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

How about a big ol' sausage? That would be better...

But if you instist. I haven't made any breakfast bars myself, really...but there are quite a few recipes online. Here are two that sounds delicious: Mutritious Nuffins: Nourishing Protein Bars 1.1 and Almond Butter Breakfast / Energy Bars; Paleo/Primal-friendly, Grain free, Gluten free « primalprairiecupboard
      Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

I've tried a ton of different combinations of the "cake" rockstareddy mentioned and now I have it pretty much every day. My favorite is to mix chocolate protein powder with 1 egg, 1/2 banana and 1- 2 tbsp of coconut milk. To top it, I cover it with just a little bit of melted butter & honey. Oh my goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine0325 View Post
          I've tried a ton of different combinations of the "cake" rockstareddy mentioned and now I have it pretty much every day. My favorite is to mix chocolate protein powder with 1 egg, 1/2 banana and 1- 2 tbsp of coconut milk. To top it, I cover it with just a little bit of melted butter & honey. Oh my goodness!
          That sounds so gross ... chocolate eggs? But I'll have to give it a try.

Comment

Here is a protein bar I occasionally make for a breakfast replacement.

Base:
            16oz jar of peanut butter, almond butter or any of the nut butters.
            3/4 cup of whey protein (I use vanilla but what ever flavor you like)
            2 tsp honey

Extras:
            I use about 1/2 cup, mix and match!
            dried fruits (cranberries, strawberries, cherries, etc)
            cacao nibs
            dark choco chips

Drain the excess oil from the top of the peanut butter. Empty into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until the peanut butter is nice and warm and melted. Usually 1-2 min.

Stir 1/2 cup of protein powder and all the honey in to the peanut butter. It should start to thicken up and become dough like. Add the last 1/4 cup of protein powder and knead by hand to work in. It should have the consistency of a dry dough. You might need to add a bit more protein powder depending on how you like it.

Let the mixture rest until it is cool to the touch. If the mixture is too warm, the chocolate will melt and the dried fruit might get a bit slimy.

Fold in your extras.

Cover a cutting board with wax paper and press the mixture down until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
            Place in the fridge for a few hours until cold, then remove and cut into whatever size you like. I use a pizza cutter and cut into 1 inch by 4 inch bars and then individually wrap them in saran wrap. Store in the fridge.

Bob

Comment

I made the "protein cake" with vanilla protein powder, egg and fresh strawberries, it was actually really good!

Comment

Originally posted by BobthePhotoGuy View Post
                Here is a protein bar I occasionally make for a breakfast replacement.
                That sounds good but isn't it a gooey mess when finished?
                "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Originally posted by denasqu View Post
                  That sounds good but isn't it a gooey mess when finished?
                  Add more protein powder.

It is get a bit greasy/oily feeling. Maybe rolling it in coconut or almond flour (just thought of that, have to try it)?

Bob

Comment

Maybe rolling it in coconut or almond flour (just thought of that, have to try it)?

Bob
                    I'm going to try it rolled in shredded coconut. Sound like an afternoon snack to me!
                    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Is baking or heating up whey protein powder safe? I thought I recalled Chocotaco saying it was not a good idea, but can't remember the reason he gave.

Comment

I like to make a nut bar, that is not 100% paleo, but hey this is not a religion. I make bars, that are like no bake cookies, but they use nuts seeds, and dried berries instead of oats, and splenda instead of sugar. I love them. and I suppose you could use a bit of honey if you want to make them strict paleo.

Comment

Add more protein powder.

It is get a bit greasy/oily feeling. Maybe rolling it in coconut or almond flour (just thought of that, have to try it)?

Bob
                          I made them and they are AWESOME! I keep them in the freezer though and I did smoosh coconut all over them.

Out of curiosity I plugged the recipe in at livestrong.com and came up with the following per bar:

Calories: 462
                          Protein: 17g
                          Fat: 37g
                          Carb: 9 g

Looks pretty primal to me. This will be a regular snack in my future!

Comment

Originally posted by denasqu View Post
                            I made them and they are AWESOME! I keep them in the freezer though and I did smoosh coconut all over them.

Out of curiosity I plugged the recipe in at livestrong.com and came up with the following per bar:

Calories: 462
                            Protein: 17g
                            Fat: 37g
                            Carb: 9 g

Looks pretty primal to me. This will be a regular snack in my future!
                            Glad you liked them!

What goodies did you mix in?

How many bars did you get from the batch? I usually get about 20.

Bob

Comment

Glad you liked them!

What goodies did you mix in?

How many bars did you get from the batch? I usually get about 20.

Bob
                              Wow you must roll them really thin or maybe I made them a little too big. I rolled it out to about 1/2" thick and cut them about an 1-1/2" wide and about 3" long and I yielded 10. Of course I ate all the stuff that I trimmed off the edges.

When they're frozen they're pretty sturdy too. Just like eating a commercial protein bar.

Comment

Working...
                              X