Make your own chocolate bars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's sweetened with stevia, extracts, spices and liquors/liqueurs. You'd never know it was sugar free. It comes out tasting in the 70-80% range. Sometimes I'll throw in a handful of semisweet chocolate chips if I want something sweeter. I also cut it with fat, so it comes out very velvety. I've had Lindt, Ghirardelli, Theo, Valrhona, Trader Joe's...they all taste like garbage compared to what I make with a much lower sugar content than that of 85+% chocolate.

I made my friend's girlfriend a dozen chocolates as a thank you for being my DD for a Christmas party. She went so ape shit bonkers over them, her boyfriend paid me $80 to make what I made above. Which btw was barely above break even because making chocolates is EXPENSIVE.
    Really? I eat 100% Ghirardelli by the pound and I've always gagged every time I try a Baker's Chocolate bar. I've given up trying it

But you're right - the other flavors probably do well to mask the chocolate to begin with.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Choco: liquid stevia or powder and what is the ratio of choc to sweetener? I have black Hawaiian salt I'd love to sprinkle on a bit of chocolate.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

I use powdered as it's much easier to use with making chocolate than a dropper. I sweeten to taste - generally chocolate gets sweeter as it cools, so while it's hot I make it about 2/3 as sweet as I'd like it. When it cools, it always tastes sweeter.

I always add a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and hot chili powder to my chocolate.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          I always add a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and hot chili powder to my chocolate.
          Lol, judging by your pictures and ingredients list, I'd say you're a Trader Joes junkie xP
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

id love to do this with a green and blacks 85% bar ... macadamias, shredded coconut, perhaps a lil dried fruit, a little bacon .. make 1 chocolate bar into the equivelant of 3 ... damn that sounds good ..

perhaps this will be my next gift to myself when i hit another goal!
            started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Same here, the green and blacks 85% is my absolute favorite. I ordered some of the molds choco mentioned already
              -Chuck

Comment

I made chocolate bars with the following ingredients:

85g of 88% dark chocolate (I prefer Endangered Species over G&B)
                60g of unsweetened bakers chocolate (100%)
                15g of shredded coconut
                15g of coconut oil
                15g of shredded organic flax

mmm!
                Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Well, I mostly don’t like to take risk when it comes to cooking, so I buy chocolates and eat them up.

Comment

Chocolate Recipe:
                    Method:
                    Take water and sugar in a saucepan and allow it to boil until it reaches 1 string consistency.
                    Remove from fire and add butter to it.
                    Once it melts down, add the milk powder, cocoa powder and vanilla essence.
                    Mix really well until everything blends.
                    Allow it to cool down for few minutes.
                    Grease your hands slightly with butter.
                    Pinch small portions of the chocolate and roll them into balls.
                    Refrigerate for a while and wrap them in colored papers or arrange them in gift boxes
                    This quantity would make around 35 small chocolate balls.
                    Anyways it depends on the size and shape you make.
                    Tips:
                    1. You can also roll a ball, press it flat and place raisins, almond or pistachio in the center and roll it again to make nutty chocolates.
                    2. Roll balls of chocolate and screw in a tooth pic or skewer to make lolly pops
                    3. Roll chocolate balls and dip them in almond powder and coat it well.
                    4. Make chocolate balls and roll them on cocoa powder or sugar powder.
                    5. Or simply pour the chocolate mixture on a greased plate and cut them into squares.

Recipe courtesy: 4th sense cooking

Comment

Are non-salted Macademia nuts available on the mainland? All I can find are the Mauna Loa that are loaded with salt?

Comment

Originally posted by ehawaiihawaii View Post
                        Are non-salted Macademia nuts available on the mainland? All I can find are the Mauna Loa that are loaded with salt?
                        I think so; the bulk bins in better grocery stores might have them, otherwise you can get them online
                        Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Originally posted by Wulf View Post
                          I think so; the bulk bins in better grocery stores might have them, otherwise you can get them online
                          They have them in the bulk bins at Sprouts.

Comment

Working...
                          X