Pakistani-Style Beef Stew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistani-Style Beef Stew

Making this overnight tonight in the slow cooker, using Ghee instead of vegetable oil.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotbeefstew/r/bl91c4.htm

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, I'm kinda jazzed ;-)

kuno what does cardamom taste like?? I've never used it before. Well, not that I can remember anyway.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

hanna,

Think "Waffle Cone"??? They use ground Cardamom in that. Of course it is a lot different in a savory stew...but it still gives a sweet aroma, along with the cloves. It might sound weird, but they do this a lot in South Asian cuisine.

Comment

I like it. A fun recipe to play with, though I'd probably go with lamb over beef as my protein "Waffle cone" is a great metaphor for the aroma of cardamon.

Kuno - what do you use to eat this if rice and flatbread are out of bounds?

Comment

Kuno, I made something similar last night with ground beef. Added some swiss chard to it for extra nutrients. I thought of you when I made fresh garam masala last night.

Comment

Geoff,

Coupla things. I agree with you on the Lamb, or even Goat---just a little pricey for me at the Halal store down the hill, so I went with Beef.

It's for a dinner party, so I'm going to make rice for them, and Cauliflower "Rice" for me. (If I made Naan...I would HAVE to eat Naan!)

I know the recipe looks a little daunting, but most of the ingredients are just spices. I'll be hella short of time tomorrow, so I'm putting it in the Slow Cooker tonight.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Cardamom <3

Comment

maba,

I bow down before Thee...

Thanks for thinking of me! We have to figure out a way to get together and cook sometime <3

Comment

Goat&#39;s a strong call. 10 years in Miami gave me much respect for Caribbean curried goat.

Cauliflower "rice" is a great idea. Thanx.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm....next Crock Pot Night is gonna be Goat Ribs (I might not even share it). And Geoff---I wish I could take credit for the Cauliflower idea. I think it was maba????

Comment

Just had some Buffalo ribs from the slow cooker tonight. Fabulous even unseasoned. Will the halal butcher cut you a deal on the goat ribs?

Comment

At this store, they always seem to hook me up ;-)

They&#39;ll weigh out and price a piece of meat, and then throw on another piece for free. I also end up with all kinds of spices and teas as extras in my bag.

I LOVE these guys!

Comment

You&#39;re making me jealous....Here the meat is weighed (and priced) by the ounce.

Comment

Oh, I made a trip to the Halal store today. Got some chicken for the hubs and goat for myself. I asked the butcher for brain + liver but he&#39;s given me heart + liver. I also got some bones. Have you had Paaya? The Boy would know about it, it&#39;s a broth made with bones and spices and it&#39;s lip-smackingly delicious. Kuno, I think I&#39;ll make my mum&#39;s goat pepper chops for you when we meet. I got the cauliflower rice idea from a South Beach Diet site.

Comment

Sorry...maybe they&#39;re just being nice to me because I amuse them by attempting Urdu ;-)

Comment

@maba: I&#39;ll be sure to ask him about Paaya- that sounds fantastic.

Ohhhhhhh... Pepper Goat Chops <drool>.

Comment

Working...
                              X