Rendering Fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering Fat

Draining off fats that are released from frying meat or pouring off roasting fats into a bowl gives a slightly burned, dirty fat, full of all sorts from the cooking process - this is "dripping".

You can make a purer fat by rendering slices of fat.

Ask your butcher for some fat - it will almost certainly be free if you also buy some meat, pennies of you don't.

I had a load left over from some belly pork I had cooked just for the meat - the fat was not required in the recipe:

Simply dice and drop into a frying pan on a medium heat.

Clear liquid fat will render out, so periodically pour that off through a sieve into a ramekin.

Repeat a number of times, even pressing down the fat to fully release any final juices.

You will be left with a clear, slightly off white liquid which will cool to a solid, but soft texture.

Here's the gold:

Paul
    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

I do mine in water, but looks easy enough to do a small amount in a pan. Do you heat it to a sizzle or keep it as cool as you can to prevent unnecessary oxidization?

Teflon? Tell me it's not teflon.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Teflon? Tell me it's not teflon.
      OMG! Silicone, too! The horror! I can't use cast iron on my hob ... in my next house, I can, so roll on March.

I keep the heat down. Slow and steady ...
      Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Right on. But you could also use stainless steel for now to reduce your exposure to nerve gas. Just sayin'.

Pan aside, this is a fine idea and a great way to quickly render some lard/tallow. Nice post!
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have 30kg to render this afternoon....

Comment

Recommending a huge cooking pot!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm more worried about meeting a neighbour as I wheelbarrow it up the path... :O

Comment

You're absolutely right, Knifegill ... point taken. I know the risks, and when I can do things properly I will ... I do.
                NorthernMonkeyGirl - what exactly are you going to do with 30 kg of the stuff? Bath in it? What you render from that should last the year!
                Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Electric slow cooker for a few hours..... perfect :-)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                    I'm guessing it's going to take a lot longer than one afternoon. 2 kg in my crockpot takes 5-6 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                      You're absolutely right, Knifegill ... point taken. I know the risks, and when I can do things properly I will ... I do.
                      NorthernMonkeyGirl - what exactly are you going to do with 30 kg of the stuff? Bath in it? What you render from that should last the year!
                      If you mix that with 30kg of dehydrated beef you have enough pemmican to last you the initial onslaught of the zombie apocalypse.
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Right on. But you could also use stainless steel for now to reduce your exposure to nerve gas. Just sayin'.
                        Is ceramic evil too???

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                          Did that a couple of weeks ago, "trimmings" off my hogs. Used a large (60 liter) pot that I normally use for mashing grains (for whiskey) and a high output propane burner that usually fries turkeys or sits under one of my stills.

Patience is a virtue with quantities of this size. Took about 14 hours, all told. Netted out a year's supply of "butter", so well worth the effort.
                          Last edited by DeeDub; 12-17-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeferjon View Post
                            Electric slow cooker for a few hours..... perfect :-)
                            This is how I do mine too. I put about 3 kg of fat through an electric mincer (grinder), straight into a slow cooker, then switch it on for about 3 hours. Lovely! It is so easy, and something I can do every five or six weeks.

Northern Monkey Girl, are you rendering all of that in one go, or freezing the bulk of it in 3 Kg bags??!!

Comment

Haha, I think I've got my system sorted after a few hours yesterday. The small cast iron casserole isn't worth trying (heat wan't right); the large stock pot takes the non-back-fat okay in huge chunks; leaving the cubed back fat in the (small!) slow cooker that I was meaning to throw out.
                              I need sharper knives.
                              I did manage to sort into back fat, non-back fat, and scraps for the dog; it's sat in the porch while awaiting processing.

I'm also looking up soap recipes and scrabbling around for jars and tubs!

Comment

Working...
                              X