Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone broth geletin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bone broth geletin

    I made chicken bone broth last night and I noticed, this morning, after it had been in the refrigerator all night, the gelatin wasn't as firm as it normally becomes. When I poured it out it did "glop" and mound somewhat. Since I drink this for health, I want to know if I can expect the same vitamin and mineral etc. benefits as when I get a firmer gelatin. If not, I'll freeze it in some quart bags and use it for cooking and make a new pot. I'm try to get back to walking after breaking my thigh bone. Healing took longer than expected and I need to build strength besides. I feel like my energy has increased a great deal since I started about 2 months ago plus I simply feel better. (also noticed I misspelled gelatin in the title, don't know how to fix it)
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM.

  • #2
    What makes chicken stock gel? I usually make it from roasted chicken carcasses and it has never, ever gelled up. Should I be adding raw parts? Something else?
    My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ajax View Post
      What makes chicken stock gel? I usually make it from roasted chicken carcasses and it has never, ever gelled up. Should I be adding raw parts? Something else?
      Don't you put too much water for too little chicken? And how long do you let your broth simmer?

      Comment


      • #4
        Since I started drinking bone broth I've made it from roasted chicken carcasses. It has always gelled beautifully. Did you add about 2 Tbls of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water? I don't know if that helps it gel but it's supposed to help draw all the good stuff out of the bones. I usually chop up an onion, add a couple of garlic cloves, chopped up a little and a stalk or two of celery. The vegetables are just for flavor and you don't have to add them at all. Considering how expensive the roasted chickens are, about $8, I am seriously going to learn how to roast a chicken correctly so it's moist and tender. I love the convenience of getting a hot one from the store but it is pricey.

        Comment


        • #5
          For whatever it is worth, I almost always use raw bones and meat, and my broth is always delicious and beautifully gelatinous. I don't think vinegar helps it gel - I started adding it a couple of weeks ago because I read about it here, but there's no change in this respect.

          Off to set up another broth - this time with 1/4 of a hen (if you use just chicken, you don't know what you are missing out on) and one turkey upper leg bone. And root vegetables, as usual.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Farfalla View Post
            Don't you put too much water for too little chicken? And how long do you let your broth simmer?
            I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
            My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ajax View Post
              I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
              I never cover the chicken all the way with water. I cook it in about 1.5 cups of water until the chicken in all cooked through. I pull off the meat and then put the bones and skin back in the pot with 1-2 cups more water and then cook for 4-12 hours. Sometimes I add some onions and veggies too.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

              http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

              Comment


              • #8
                I let one batch go in the crockpot overnight and it didn't gel much. The second batch I did at least 24 hours and it gelled up great in the fridge! The ACV is to help leach minerals and vitamins out of the bones.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i simmer mine for 10 hours minimum with apple cider vinegar. i finally got it right! but yeah, i let the last batch evaporate pretty low and poured it into a mason jar, when it cooled it wound up being all gelatin
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

                  Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                    I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
                    Yes, I would try doubling the time. Or, if you have a crockpot, try 10-12 hours on low. And I would definitely add some raw meaty parts (can be from another animal) like necks, stomachs, hearts, but not liver - it's kind of gross when it is overcooked.

                    To sum up: bones, meat, one carrot, one celery stick, a slice from the celeriac root, one parsley root, one average-sized unpeeled (but clean) onion, one unpeeled garlic clove, the dark green leafy top of a leek, a couple of parsley stems, water, salt, a splash of apple cider vinegar, at least five hours.

                    I've just strained the broth I made overnight. Although it's still hot, it is visibly thick and kind of gelatinous.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                      I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
                      Have you tried using a pressure cooker? Or about 18 hours in a slow cooker. If the chicken is too young I don't think they make such good rich stock. If you can get a pigs trotter, that is a great addition to chicken stock. Or a bunch of chicken feet. Anything that is super rich in gelatin will do it. The cartilage, sinew etc renders down into gelatin.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                        Have you tried using a pressure cooker? Or about 18 hours in a slow cooker. If the chicken is too young I don't think they make such good rich stock. If you can get a pigs trotter, that is a great addition to chicken stock. Or a bunch of chicken feet. Anything that is super rich in gelatin will do it. The cartilage, sinew etc renders down into gelatin.
                        I do use a pressure cooker. Once it's up to full steam I cook it for an hour and an half. Normally I get a good looking broth, gelled. Is that enough time?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                          I do use a pressure cooker. Once it's up to full steam I cook it for an hour and an half. Normally I get a good looking broth, gelled. Is that enough time?
                          That sounds heaps of time to me. I usually use the slow cooker, but when I do use the Pressure Cooker, I give it about 45 minutes and it seems to work just fine!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                            That sounds heaps of time to me. I usually use the slow cooker, but when I do use the Pressure Cooker, I give it about 45 minutes and it seems to work just fine!
                            How would you do it in a slowcooker? I live on campus and my broth always gets ruined because people take it out/turn it off/change the temperature. A slowcooker would probably prevent this.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by charli View Post
                              How would you do it in a slowcooker? I live on campus and my broth always gets ruined because people take it out/turn it off/change the temperature. A slowcooker would probably prevent this.
                              You put everything (see post 10 for my definition of everything) in the slowcooker and cook it on low for 12 hours or so.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X