Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eggs ... anyone else do this?

occasionally i find myself eating eggs an odd way

ill throw the whites away and over easy kinda cook 4 yolks ...

i love over easy eggs or fried eggs, but i get sick of the whites ...

anyone else do this?

from what i understand the whites have about 55% of the protien, but the yolks have the fat as well .. so it doesnt bother me to have that gooey richness running over my bacon, sausage, beef, whatever meat im eating ..

am i crazy? LOL
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

If I have to separate eggs for something I'll sometimes enjoy just the yolk, but I can't stand to waste food. Even egg whites. Whisk those babies up into meringue!

Comment

or make macarroons -- just with palm sugar, coconut, and the egg whites. good stuff. add chocolate, raspberries, whatever. all good.

Comment

how long can i "keep" the whites do you guys/gals think?

macarroons could be good, but i try to avoid any sugars at all costs, and i dont even have any familiarity with palm sugar ...

i just dont know of anything to do with the whites ... and DAMN those yolks are awesome
        started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Do everything with whites. Throw them into soups and stews and you won't even notice they're there. Dredge chicken and fish in them before coating with crushed pork rinds or coconut flour. Whip them for meringue in a primal pie. Don't waste such a great food!
          carl's cave

Comment

I agree...don't waste 'em. They have too many uses, both as an ingredient, and a food source.

I wouldn't keep them for more than a few days outside the shell. They will congeal and get viscous as more air comes into contact with them. If you save them, seal them up tight with as little air inside as possible and store in the forward part of your fridge. They could get frozen in the back if your fridge runs cooler. Also, putting them in the back means you may not see them, they go bad...and you wasted yet another great food! =P

Comment

Cook the whites and use them in egg salad (4 whites two yolks is almost as good as whole eggs).
              There's always egg drop soup.
              I use egg whites to clarify homemade broth.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I NEVER throw food away! I cook the egg whites and pour over raw yolks. With a little gluten free soy sauce and a dash of black pepper (nattou is good here, too!) = yum!

Comment

I get the whites out of the way by eating them first, leaving nice little sealed runny yolks waiting to be ingested whole and then squished to liquid in my mouth!
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have trouble eating the yolks! I know they're the best part but I have to force 'em down. No problem hardboiled- but runny or hard on a fried egg grosses me out.

Comment

My eggs cost a small fortune! No way I would throw anything out. I had to buy some Trader Joes eggs when I run out of my pastured eggs. The ones I got had really thin shells. I dropped one accidentally and it still did not go into the trash, I called my trusty floor cleaner to the rescue. I will say, when one feeds a bearded dog a raw egg one should be prepared to wash his face afterward. He had bits of shell and yoke all over his little schnauzer face. I did not stop for a photo. I took him straight to the hand held sprayer in the utility tub.

Nothing goes to waste here!

If I did happen to have a bunch of unwanted egg white on hand, I would make meringue cookies or an angel food cake, using the appropriate flour of course.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieBird View Post
                        I have trouble eating the yolks! I know they're the best part but I have to force 'em down. No problem hardboiled- but runny or hard on a fried egg grosses me out.
                        I used to feel that way. I always scrambled my eggs. For some reason lately I've become a total over easy convert. I love the runny yolks on my bacon for my weekend breakfasts. I wish I had time to cook them that way every morning!

Comment

i loooooooooove warm, runny, barely cooked yolks. i cut the whites away and eat those first too, they're almost too rubbery to like now. then carefully scoop yolk on fork, put in mouth, bite down and all of a sudden my mouth tastes delicious
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

Can you use the whites as food wrappers or crepes?
                            In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

Comment

i'd always thought about doing that! I go through phases where the whites gross me out

Comment

Working...
                              X