No announcement yet.

25 dollar mayonai$e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found one at whole foods with flaxseed oil .. is it ok ? expensive but good made by spectrum

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
      .50 per egg? I've never paid that much and I live in NYC! here's 32 oz of top grade avo oil for $20 (it's a two pack x 16 oz)> La Tourangelle Avocado Oil, 16.9-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Just sounds like you're shopping at the wrong store (and have champagne tastes in mayo!)
      The pastured eggs at my local Whole Foods are $7-$8 per dozen. The local CSA that has eggs wanted $6 per half dozen. But yeah, it's not hard to do better on the oil.

Comment

OH my goodness. Most of the folks I know here in south Texas and in southern Missouri sell yard eggs for $2 a dozen. You guys need to drive out of town more often!

Comment

to prevent runny mayo, drizzle the oil in SLOWLY. it should take a few minutes to drizzle in 1 cup. i don't know why you couldn't make coconut oil mayo; i've made bacon fat mayo and that's solid at higher temperatures. just melted the coconut oil and then let it cool to the point that it's not hot but still liquid. then use it in a regular recipe with room temp ingredients.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Buy avocado oil online. Problem solved.

Just use a regular egg yolk. You're not going to notice any difference in nutrition using one CAFO egg. I go through dozens of mediocre grade eggs a month and I'm still alive. The benefits of pastured eggs vs a standard cage free egg that costs $2/dozen aren't much anyway AFAIK. Yes there's more omega 3, but the omega 3 quantity is low in pastured eggs, too. Just eat an extra serving of salmon during the week and call it a day.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
              OH my goodness. Most of the folks I know here in south Texas and in southern Missouri sell yard eggs for $2 a dozen. You guys need to drive out of town more often!
              The savings aren't quite enough to offset the time and gas for me. Mostly the time. I spend entirely too much for my food and I know it. I'm paying a premium for convenience. Same reason I pay people to clean my house and take care of my yard. I view it as buying my weekend back.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                Buy avocado oil online. Problem solved.

Just use a regular egg yolk. You're not going to notice any difference in nutrition using one CAFO egg. I go through dozens of mediocre grade eggs a month and I'm still alive. The benefits of pastured eggs vs a standard cage free egg that costs $2/dozen aren't much anyway AFAIK. Yes there's more omega 3, but the omega 3 quantity is low in pastured eggs, too. Just eat an extra serving of salmon during the week and call it a day.
                Yeah, it wasn't really the nutritional aspects of the egg I was concerned about. I only use pastured, local eggs when we're going to eat them raw, because I have small children and as a diabetic, I also have a compromised immune system, and good eggs are significantly less likely to be contaminated with disease. A lot of people mistakenly think that salmonella in eggs is just on the shell, but the most recent outbreaks have been in the eggs themselves.

But, I finally made a mayo I am happy with! I still want to get to making a duck fat mayo, but in the meantime I used light olive oil and ghee and it worked like a charm, for only about $6 for a cup and a half, which I'm happy with
                junebu8's journ@l

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                  The savings aren't quite enough to offset the time and gas for me. Mostly the time. I spend entirely too much for my food and I know it. I'm paying a premium for convenience. Same reason I pay people to clean my house and take care of my yard. I view it as buying my weekend back.
                  Yeah, the farmers here know what eggs are worth in town. They charge slightly less, but you have to go WAY out to get cheap eggs here. All the more reason to keep a flock at home, which is on the menu for next year.
                  junebu8's journ@l

Comment

I've struggled with the same problem... Extra-virgin olive oil, which is the only kind I keep at home, is too expensive and makes the mayo taste almost bitter.
                    Coconut oil mayo is just vile - coconut is not a taste I necessarily want in my salads or on my roasted veg.
                    Bacon fat would be an option if I ate pork, but I don't.
                    I did find a 3$ tub of duck fat at the store the other day and am looking forward to trying that.
                    Keep the suggestions coming people! I know cheap and PB-approved mayo must be out there somewhere

ETA: Those of you who have been struggling with emulsifying your mayo, having EVERYTHING room temperature is key. That includes the lemon and mustard, take those out of the fridge an hour before you plan to make the mayo.
                    Last edited by Ajax; 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM.
                    My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

Working...
                    X