Kahlua?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahlua?

So...how would one make a (mostly) primal version of Kahlua? Just use a different sweetener? Obviously it's going to have alcohol (which I'm totally ok with), but I'd like to eliminate the sugar. Thoughts?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Raw honey is good for you in moderation...
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

I'd go with honey... Here's a bunch of homemade ones for a base. Happy testing!!

Cooks.com - Recipes - Homemade Kahlua

Comment

Thanks guys
        --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
        --Hyperlithic

Comment

To go a different route, I would try soaking some espresso beans in vodka (google making [coffee] infused vodkas), maybe experiment with adding some liquid vanilla stevia? Perhaps with a little bit of honey or agave? Make a cocktail with coconut or almond milk, on the rocks...

Sounds kind of tasty, I might have to give it a try; I miss kahlua.

Comment

Originally posted by raney View Post
            To go a different route, I would try soaking some espresso beans in vodka (google making [coffee] infused vodkas), maybe experiment with adding some liquid vanilla stevia? Perhaps with a little bit of honey or agave? Make a cocktail with coconut or almond milk, on the rocks...

Sounds kind of tasty, I might have to give it a try; I miss kahlua.
            I use to make kahlua drinks with almond milk to cut down on the calories. Coconut would probably be good, too. Even adding a splash of heavy cream would be good, too.

I used chocolate and some coffee flavored vodkas to the mix and added a sweetener of choice.

Comment

Don't even bother, Clymb. Do you really drink that much kahlua that it would matter?
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I once saw Clymb drink a gallon jug of kahlua for breakfast

Comment

Maybe this will point you in the right direction.

Kahlua Nutrition Information | LIVESTRONG.COM
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I vote with Grumpy Caveman: unless you are going through tons of it, it's part of your 20%. Don't sweat it.
                    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnk View Post
                      I vote with Grumpy Caveman: unless you are going through tons of it, it's part of your 20%. Don't sweat it.
                      I was going to say the same thing until I actually read the nutrition info on Kahlua. I am effing blown away.

CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Calories in Kahlua, Liqueurs: Original (20% alc.)

Nutrition Facts (1 oz)
                      Calories 91 (380 kJ)
                      % Daily Value 1
                      Total Fat 0g 0%
                      Sat. Fat 0g 0%
                      Trans Fat 0g
                      Cholesterol 0mg 0%
                      Sodium 3mg 0%
                      Total Carbs. 14.7g 5%
                      Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
                      Sugars 14.7g
                      Protein 0g
                      Alcohol 4.6g

I am absolutely stunned that there is 14.7g of sugar in a single 1oz shot of Kahlua. That's nearly 4 teaspoons of sugar. I don't even know how you fit that much sugar in such a little drop of liqueur! I don't know about you, but when I drink, I go through 7 or 8 drinks pretty easily. 8 shots of Kahlua equate to 4 shots of a hard liqueur, and that ain't enough to get my 133lb ass anywhere near drunk. So, those 8 Kahlua's have 117.6g of straight sugar, plus 36.8g of alcohol. That's like having 3 entire cans of Coke, a 6 pack of Miller Lite and you're barely buzzed. That's scary shit. Maybe it really is in your best interest to find out how to make a coffee liqueur. I figure buy a bottle of vodka, throw in a couple split vanilla beans, a bunch of coffee beans, let it sit under the counter for 2 or 3 months, then sweeten with stevia. It may actually be worth it.

Unless you only want 1 or 2 drinks. In which case I don't want to drink with you because you're no fun.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

You're right! It's a lot. Then again, I don't think of anyone drinking Kahlua in quantity -- you add it to flavor other drinks. In that regard, I think you might be surprised by many (if not most) mixed drinks. I mix drinks as a hobby. "Simple syrup" is a bar staple. HEAVY syrup. It's a supersaturated solution of 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Best in small doses, but used in many, many drinks.

When it comes to Kahlua, I'd use it as Kahlua and Cream (you won't drink too many of those) or as a flavoring in specialty martinis. There I would probably only use 1/2 oz per drink, but there might be 3 oz of vodka (no, I don't make those theme-restaurant "drinks" -- I mix the real stuff). You'd be feeling it pretty strongly by the end of your second drink, but you'd only have consumed 1 oz of Kahlua along the way.

And *hopefully* you wouldn't be tossing those back nightly anyway!

For me, I figure I'll not worry about the sugar contents of drinks at parties. I don't go out that often, and I don't tend to have the snacks and desserts as they are generally wheat-filled (my body has zero tolerance for wheat -- it gives me asthma attacks). The sugar content of drinks isn't good (nor is that alcohol!), but it falls easily within my 20% since I'm 100% wheat-free always.
                        Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

adding coconut milk to kahlua is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                            I once saw Clymb drink a gallon jug of kahlua for breakfast

Lol I haven't even talked to you in forever on here OR on FB, and this is our reunion??? (Although it's a very plausible statement haha)

And for the record, everyone--Kahlua with coconut milk is NOT good, tried it yesterday. Drank some today, along with some whiskey (not mixed!)...I actually found out how to make whiskey sours without buying that nasty sweet and sour mix, so I may have to try that!
                            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

Have you ever tried Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka? It is not as sweet as kahlua but it is absolutely delicious. Very strong coffee flavor.

I can't seem to find any nutritional information on line for it.....but I think it must have less sugar.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X