Sauerkraut questions????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerkraut questions????

So I wanted to get in on the whole fermented foods kick. I have been very aware of my stomach for the last 10 years or so, it always has a way of letting me know it is around. I have a Komboochs SCOBY growing right now and I also decided to make some Kraut like Mark wrote about here.

How to Make Sauerkraut - Make Sauerkraut at Home | Mark's Daily Apple

Has anyone done this? I put it all together on Wed, and today is Sunday. I tasted it for the first time this morning and it tasted nothing like store bought Sauerkraut. So I guess my first question would be, what is home made Sauerkraut supposed to taste like? If you have made it, how long did you let it ferment?

Thanks
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Give it a few weeks and then taste.

Comment

I didn't start tasting it until about a week or so in and then waited another week before I started including it in my meals. I considered the flavor of the kraut I made to be extremely different from store bought kraut (which I found to be limp in comparison). It was somewhat tangy, a bit salty (I think I ended up adding too much as I was trying a bit too hard to get it to make its own liquid) and very crunchy.
      turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by Grafter View Post
        I didn't start tasting it until about a week or so in and then waited another week before I started including it in my meals. I considered the flavor of the kraut I made to be extremely different from store bought kraut (which I found to be limp in comparison). It was somewhat tangy, a bit salty (I think I ended up adding too much as I was trying a bit too hard to get it to make its own liquid) and very crunchy.
        Crunchy it still is...... I was expecting more of a vinegar taste to it.

My Journal
        My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
          Crunchy it still is...... I was expecting more of a vinegar taste to it.
          I think a lot of commercial stuff is more like "pickled cabbage" i.e. cabbage pickled in vinegar. My fermented kraut also tastes nothing like that, and I love it because of that.

Comment

Mine's been sat in the porch for a week-ish, at about 10-12 deg C.
            I did try some and got mainly "odd cabbage with salt"; another little spoon tasted "fizzy" which I gather is the fermentation in progress.
            I hope it doesn't always taste so salty!
            No mould etc at the moment.

Have you heard about kefirkraut? Sounds interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
              I did try some and got mainly "odd cabbage with salt"; another little spoon tasted "fizzy" which I gather is the fermentation in progress.

"odd cabbage with salt" love it, that is pretty much what mine tasted like too. Got to give it some more time.... I'll probably wait one week and try again.

My Journal
              My Journal

Comment

I do mine in my kitchen... in the summer it's tangy enough in about 7 days, but in the fall/winter it takes more like 2 weeks. We get fresh cabbages year-round here so I don't "need" to make it, but I love it. I find the key to good-tasting kraut is a really, really fresh cabbage - ideally picked that day. It sours nicely, you have nearly zero risk of mold so you can use a little less salt, and the flavour is amazing.

If you can find a copy of Sandor Katz's "Wild Fermentation" it's got great guidelines for making sauerkraut.

Comment

I don't know much about making it, but I do know that if you do decide to make your own please pace yourself while eating. If you eat, for example, six pounds of it in a three day period you will not be happy with that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                    I don't know much about making it, but I do know that if you do decide to make your own please pace yourself while eating. If you eat, for example, six pounds of it in a three day period you will not be happy with that decision.
                    LMAO.... Sounds like you speak from experience.....

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post

I reckon the kefirkraut will be similar to Sally Fallen's sauerkraut made using whey. It also is jump started using lactobacilli. But I'd rather make kraut with salt and eat / consume kefir too, to get as wide a range of little bugs as possible. I can't help feeling that Kefir or whey will give the kraut the same range and only the same range of bugs as the kefir had....

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                        I think a lot of commercial stuff is more like "pickled cabbage" i.e. cabbage pickled in vinegar. My fermented kraut also tastes nothing like that, and I love it because of that.
                        I was wondering about commercially produced 'kraut and if there was any benefit to even eating it (like there is with homemade kraut)
                        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                          I was wondering about commercially produced 'kraut and if there was any benefit to even eating it (like there is with homemade kraut)
                          Look for refrigerated kraut. Check the ingredients. If it doesn't have vinegar added, that's a good indicator that it's naturally fermented and has some beneficial bacteria. However, my homemade kraut tastes alot better to me. The store-bought kraut was limp and soggy. Mine is crisp and crunchy by comparison. Plus it's alot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            Look for refrigerated kraut. Check the ingredients. If it doesn't have vinegar added, that's a good indicator that it's naturally fermented and has some beneficial bacteria. However, my homemade kraut tastes alot better to me. The store-bought kraut was limp and soggy. Mine is crisp and crunchy by comparison. Plus it's alot cheaper.
                            Thanks for the tips! Not sure I'm ready to make my own yet, but I will look for the refrigerated brands...
                            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                              Thanks for the tips! Not sure I'm ready to make my own yet, but I will look for the refrigerated brands...
                              Yeah, it takes a little time and what-not to make, but really not all that bad. But I imagine when you're pregnant and have dogs and chickens to take care of, time can be limited! Also, the storebought kind I got was in a plastic bag, so if you don't see it, keep looking. I guess it's unfair to have called it "soggy". It had some crunch.

I used the guidelines from Wild Fermentation to make my kraut: Wild Fermentation :: Making Sauerkraut is Easy!
                              Also, this is very interesting: Sauerkraut fermentation

Comment

Working...
                              X