No announcement yet.

What to do with my frozen cranberries?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with my frozen cranberries?

I tend to like sour fruits, like citrus (I used to suck on lemons for snacks) and sour apple varieties, but I don't like these frozen sour cranberries at all.

I tried blending them into a smoothie with blueberries and banana before. Didn't like the added taste from the cranberries. Any suggestions on how I can use up this 8oz bag of antioxidants? Maybe hide them in some savory dish since I don't like many sweets anyway? What goes well with cranberries? Help! >_<
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

how about cranberry sauce? I was thinking of making some sweetened with apples instead of sugar. Goes great with poultry and probably with pork.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

I'm expecting a pound of cranberries in my organics box this week, and I plan to make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving next week. I haven't decided yet how I will sweeten it (maybe honey or stevia). Cranberries can be very sour on their own.

Comment

I've made this before, and it was really good!

Raw Cranberry Sauce | Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Comment

Originally posted by Minky View Post
          I've made this before, and it was really good!

Raw Cranberry Sauce | Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe
          Oooh, that does look good! I really, really do want to try it, especially since I recently got a food processor/blender. However, I'm on a no-fruit thing right now, and I can't afford to bring in excess sugars from any source than from the stuff I REALLY love (ie, chocolate). Any recipes for no more sugar-added items?

Comment

I'd go for experimenting with it with pork and/or chicken. I LOVE cranberries but if you don't like the sour then you don't like the sour. Thats kinda all there is to eating them plain!

Comment

Hmm what do Americans eat with cranberry sauce anyway? Does it go well with the turkey? Should I just stick it with some ground turkey and make a loaf?

Comment

It might go well as a side sauce for a good turkey meatloaf. To me, it's not Thanksgiving without roasted turkey and a little bit of cranberry sauce on the side. In my pre-primal days, the best thing after Thanksgiving was a turkey sandwich with cream cheese, lettuce, and cranberry sauce. Might have to make it this year but wrap it in a lettuce leaf instead of bread.

Comment

cranberry sauce is a thanksgiving thing, so typically served with roast turkey/chicken, ham, etc...

I've made a tasty cranberry sauce before using just fresh cranberries, unsalted butter, lemon & stevia. The tartness is definitely prominent, but makes a great sauce for turkey

Comment

My first thought would be to simmer the berries with some orange juice (you could add spices: ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, etc.), maybe half a cup per 8 oz. of berries at a guess. After 20 minutes, the berries should give up the ghost, and after 30-35 you should have a decent reduction (add more liquid if necessary). Then use as a glaze on pork, chicken, turkey, or fish.

The tart, crisp cranberry is a nice foil to the fatty lushness of the typical Thanksgiving plate, or even the paleo Thanksgiving plate. Think of it as a palate cleanser if served as a side dish, or a nice contrast if used as a glaze.

Comment

Weird timing -- I just made cranberry liqueur! Perfect for holiday hostess gifts. Here's how I did it, if you're interested. Cranberry Delights Luck & Funny

Comment

turkey is merely vehicle for cranberry sauce.
                        If you can't use fruit, can you sweeten with stevia? I don't know if you're cutting out all sweet flavored things.
                        Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                        Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                        "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

I love cranberries cooked down in a little orange juice, apple cider, lots of ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cayenne if you eat it. I think I used to add sugar as well, but perhaps the orange juice would work to sweeten it enough? Once you cook them down you really don't use much of it - just a small amount on the meat.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I will definitely try the cranberry sauce with a touch of stevia, or maybe some fresh pomegranates from my landlord's garden next time I get my hands on some turkey. Really looking forward to it now, actually. Thank you for all the suggestions!

Comment

Heat them up in a frying pan with a slosh of vodka to accompany a really nice piece of game bird - duck, pheasant, whatever. Yum!
                              Paul
                              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Working...
                              X