No announcement yet.

What do I do with pig's trotters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to eat pig's feet when growing up. They're delicious if cooked properly
    I'm not sure on the exacts, but I do know that they have a certain.. smell to them that my mom says you have to cook out of them. She boils them for a while and then finishes them in the oven w/ whatever seasoning she uses (usually a red pepper paste seasoning).
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

This is what I did:
      The Primal Gardener: What an Offal Day (Part 2-Trotters)

I saved the bones and leftovers and made stock-talk about gelatin-y!!! If I did it again I would bone out the trotters before cooking, but I hate eating around small bones (which may be why I hate fish so much). I would probably roast them longer as well, to render off more fat and get more crispy skin. They were VERY tasty.
      See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

You could always do a primal version of crubeens.

Comment

First boil them for an hour and then toss the water completely. Then add more hot water to just cover them, then add chopped celery, onions, peppers, dry herbs, salt and pepper and cook until they are falling off the bone. Make sure to salt the water well while cooking. Then serve them with some vinegar and hot sauce to taste and they will be delicious. This is a southern recipe my mom has always made. Guess you'll have to leave out the cornbread.
          Last edited by blossomthyme; 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

On tv last week a programme called great British bake off used pig trotters or cows feet to make a Jelly for a trifile .

From London England UK

Comment

Working...
            X