Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on learning by doing.

Just keep trying.

Also, go simple. Roasting in the oven can be simple. Veggies cooked thus are simple and wonderful.

I cook a lot of steak, but always on the grill.

I'd also ditto the crock pot...hard to go wrong with the crock pot. You might look into the world of sauteeing. Chicken isn't perfect, but chicken tenders sauteed in olive oil are easy to get right. Just use some seasoning you like...maybe lemon pepper, and/or garlic, black pepper and salt.

Lastly, you could do a primal chili recipie. Chili can be easy and wonderful...and there is lots of room for you to get fancier and figure out what you like.

Comment

If you have access to a good public library, see what cookbooks they have that you can borrow. Try some out and see what you like, then you can purchase the ones that appeal to you the most.

I just borrowed Everyday Paleo from my library, and I plan to ask for it for Christmas. My first impression is that it's full of quick family-friendly things.

I have both of the primal cookbooks and I like the fast & easy one the best. Being a full-time working mom, I want dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less on weeknights. On weekends, I'm willing to put in more time and effort (sometimes).

I've also learned a lot from watching cooking shows on Food Network. You will see them cooking things that are definitely not primal, but you can get some good ideas about techniques, seasonings, etc. Some of my favorites are Barefoot Contessa, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals (yeah she's annoying but she has some good ideas) and Guy Fieri's show.

Comment

Practice Practice Practice. (And get ready to choke down some less than stellar meals). It takes a while, but once you get good at cooking, it is the most vaulable skill. For cooking technique I highly recomend Cook's Illustrated and Good Eats. Both break cooking technique down for you, and have tried and true test kitchens to get the best results.

Cooking steak:
        Good Eats Steak your Claim Pt 1
        Good Eats Steak your Claim Pt 2

Cook's Illustrated pan seared thick cut steaks
        Cook's Illustrated A better way to grill T-Bone
        Last edited by La.C; 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I, like you, am not a talented chef, but after being primal for almost 3 months, my cooking skills are progressively getting better. My advice to you is, if you truly have limited cooking skills, is cook things that are simple and plain. Here are things you can't fuck up:

Preheat oven to 350deg, put a piece of salmon on a baking sheet, cook for 15min.

Preheat oven to 350deg, put four center cut pork chops on a baking sheet, cook for 35min.

Preheat oven to 275, put a lamb chop on a baking sheet, cook for 40min (should come out well done).

What about vegetables? At this stage in the game, don't stress over them. Just make salads, or saute in a frying pan for a few minutes.
          Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
          Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
          Goal: 160

Comment

Search things on youtube... you can learn anything on youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
              Amazon.com: The River Cottage Meat Book (9781580088435): Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: Books The River Cottage Meat Book. This is the place to go if you want to take it up a notch from the butcher's guide book. Its a lot thicker and more detailed, but the writing is clear and its still an entertaining and fascinating read. He also definitely takes the time to explain many meat cooking techniques; not only what they mean but WHY you do a specific technique for a specific cut. I have purchased this book as a christmas present for not just one but TWO couple-friends of mine who have gone paleo, and they all love it.
              It warms the cockles of my British heart to see an American recommend this (and not the first time on this site). I have this book too and it is brillant - and so Primal friendly - a whole chapter on meat thrift.

Can I also recommend Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cookery Volume I - a work of complete and total genius. Contained in the pages of this gem is just about every cooking technique you'll need from the simplest - how to make the perfect omlette to the complex - making moulded desserts. There is also lots of great info on how to make all the different types of stock - including just chicken, chicken plus veal - white and brown stocks - a Primal staple. There's also lots of great ways to prepare vegetables. And how can you not love a book which has a whole chapter on aspic?

Comment

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is another good cookbook.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmama View Post
                  Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is another good cookbook.
                  I haven't tried a single recipe in this book that turned out badly. And everything in it is SOOOOOO easy. I second the recomendation.

Comment

Trish and others have great food blogs. I like her's because the instructions are step by step.

my hints
                    Eggs - great example is if you cook with too high heat they become rubbery frisbee's. Medium heat and more slowly they are fine
                    Salad - throw what ever you like in the bowl and toss with EVOO and vinegar. really hard to screw up salad
                    meat- if BBQing. bring meat up to room temp from fridge. you will have less grease fires and your meat cooks more evenly
                    Julia
                    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                    Started Primal Mid January 2011
                    Current Weight 183
                    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

best thing i can tell you is learn when things reach proper temp ... overcooking murders meat ....

heres a simple easy recipe ...

take a whole chicken from the grocery store ..
                      preheat oven to 425
                      rinse it off
                      pat down with paper towel
                      cover skin lightly in bacon grease (im being serious LOL)
                      lift up the skin and season the breast and leg (i use lemon, pepper, salt, garlic, rosemary, maybe somethin spciy like cayenne but you could also use a premade spice mix of sorts)
                      lightly season salt the skin
                      throw it breast down in a pan (or split the chicken first and cook skin up both sides)
                      bake at 425 for 20 minutes
                      drop temp to 400 and cook 40 more .. check temp with meat thermo
                      let is rest 10 minutes before eating

TASTY ... easy, and you will feel confident again ..
                      started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

ps - i think some of the beauty of eating primal is letting the meats/veggies speak for themselves ... cookin veggies in a little salt/pepper/coconut oil is simple and delicious.. or even just steaming them .. also with meat most times salt/pepper will be enough for a nice flavor .. god gives us beautiful beasts to eat LOL ...
                        started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                          1. Watch The Food Channel.
                          2. Crockpot.
                          3. Move up to a Dutchie once you've got the hang of #2.
                          damn this sounds just like me! I learned almost everything I know from the Food Channel. We don't have TV anymore but I did like the food channel. Although with all the cupcake and dessert shows it's hard to find anything worth watching anymore. Maybe there's some Julia Child stuff on youtube.

Comment

Hey OP, get a slowcooker.
                            Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
                            LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

Comment

I've found some of Julia Child's old videos at my libary - they can be a boatload of fun.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and resources everyone. I am sure I will get better with time, but it is just disheartening right now.

I really wish my father would have taught me how to cook. He can make anything taste great with whatever is in the fridge at the moment. Growing up, we had tasty cajun cooking almost every night. I just had no desire to learn and he did not push it on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X