Dehydrator ideas...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrator ideas...

So this seems to be the perfect time of year to bust out the dehydrator and start dehydrating. The last few days we have been doing jerky with all kinds of seasonings.
    Please give me some ideas of other things to dehydrate. I have done bananas and apples in the past with alot of luck..
    All ideas welcome!

Dandelion tea!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

is there a health benefit to drinking dandelion tea? I can't imagine a dandelion tasting good.. lol I can imagine my 5 yr old saying "mommy why are you eating poofy heads?"

Comment

The yellow flowers are edible and delicious, sort of buttery. Never tried the dried heads, seems dry and hard. The leaves are good fresh in salad, cooked in meals, or dried. I make tea from the leaves. And I steep the chopped roots in just-boiled water to eat and drink for a complexion boost/zit extermination campaign. Very few foods are as nutritious as dandelion. You can dry the roots as well and grind them for coffee substitute, but why bother when we've got real coffee!
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

kale chips!
          cranberries (excellent to put in your BAS)
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I've done zucchini chips. The baby thought they were the bees knees. They're great to put in a little baggy when we're out and about.
            Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
            CW - 60kg / 132lb
            GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

ok so I will deff make some zuccini chips, and maybe even some kiwi..
              I want to get the fruit leather trays for our dehydrator, I want to use some canned pumpkin and honey or grade b maple syrup and some pumpkin pie spice to make a sort of pumpkin pie fruit leather.. OMG SOUNDS SO YUMMY! the kids would love it!

Comment

What kind of dehydrator do you all have? I would love to get one to start dehydrating food!!

Also- can you give me your jerky recipe?

Thanks!!

New to Primal
                Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
                SW: 228lb
                GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
                12/30/11- 229
                1/7/12- 225
                1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
                5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Comment

I tried spinach leaves. Works great. Then I powder it down and toss it in meatloaf, soups and spinach dip.
                  Celery, carrots, green and red peppers. I also dehydrate some of those and powder these down, too. I can make my own seasonings this way. I want to try onions and garlic, but this is an outside job.

Comment

"onion rings" are really good: sweet onion cut into rings, dip in balsamic vinegar, roll in flaxseed meal and dehydrate
                    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

yeah, I'm curious about this too!

Comment

I also recommend zucchini chips. I soak thin zucchini slicesin brine for an hour or two before dehydrating them, and sometimes i just srinkle on pepper or brush them witha little apple cider vinegar before dehydrating. I'm not a zucchini fan, but i could eat my weight in zucchini chips!

Comment

i'd also like to hear recommendations about a good dehydrator to buy. I know there's been a bazillion threads about it but this one is on the front page!

Comment

dehydrator recommendation

Originally posted by Catherine View Post
                            i'd also like to hear recommendations about a good dehydrator to buy. I know there's been a bazillion threads about it but this one is on the front page!
                            I have 2 dehydrators. The first one I got for free- it is cylindral in shape with a hole in the center and no way to adjust temperature. I wouldn't recommend that kind, both because the surface area is an awkward shape and i find it annoying to tetris-fit food on the donut-shaped trays, and also because having control of the temperature gives you a lot more control over what you can make and how long it will take.

I bought myself a better dehydrator that is rectangular in shape and has temp controls for about $120, which is significantlly better.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendation. I am starting to look for a used one, and will definetly hold out for a rectangular/temperature controlled one.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X