No announcement yet.

Crockpot - what do I do with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a guide from thekitchn.com about slowcooking.

7 Tips For Making Better Soup in the Slow Cooker | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

It's about soup, but the principles are pretty universal.

I like to use my slow cooker to make pulled pork. rub in some spices, cover in chopped onions, then put it on low for 16 hours. It just breaks apart. If the meat is particularly fatty, you may need to finish it in the oven to dry it out a bit. Otherwise it can be pretty liquidy.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
      Here is almost exactly what I do with the chicken, except I do buy a free range one from Trader Joe's, and I rub the old gal all over with spices. I think my spice mix is a little different every time. I get a small bowl and put some shakes of garlic, thyme (I like on chicken), paprika, sometimes oregano, or whatever really. And yes, NO liquid. The crockpot will be about half full of liquid when it's done. My husband is kind enough to pick it all off the bone -- we eat a big portion with vegetables for first meal, and then after that I use it for chicken salad (homemade mayo if I have it prepared), put it in salads, take it as leftovers to work for lunch, etc. SO GOOD AND EASY. I discovered this only in the last year ago and can't believe I didn't know how to do it before. I made some very messy roast chickens in the ovens, turning it up high to try to crisp the skin, etc. This is WAY easier, at least for me.
      I wonder if this would also work with a bone-in turkey breast? It's on our list to pick up at the store tonight and I might give it a try next week.

Comment

I just bought a pork shoulder roast and it's going in the crockpot with:

1 cup cider vinegar
        1 tablespoon salt
        1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
        1 tablespoon honey

Makes a nice North Carolina BBQ sauce and it's delicious! You can leave out the honey if you want.

Comment

get a 7 bone roast (shape of the bone not how many bones there are, often goes on sale at my local for 2.99/lb). Put 1 can of beef broth (or home made equivalent), a cup or so of red cooking wine, and the roast in crockpot. Low for about 6-8 hours. You have tender meat, delicious broth, and when you refrigerate the broth, TALLOW! The hard white stuff on top is tallow, and the broth is actually bone broth, as you will see in the fridge it sets up like jello. Enjoy
          "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

My go-to super-easy crockpot technique is to buy whatever type of roast is the cheapest, rub it with a spicy seasoning blend that I get from Penzey's, cut an onion into chunks and throw it in the bottom of the crockpot, put in the rost, top it with a can of diced tomatoes - usually the kind that has chili peppers and seasonings in it. Cook for 8 - 10 hours on low. Serve with a side of cauli-mash or some roasted sweet potatoes. Yum. And it usually makes enough for a couple of meals for DH & I.

Comment

Angieh, thanks so much for sharing your tips! I bought a crockpot to make whole chicken in but didn't know how to do it, yet. So far all I've managed is the broth made from bone in chicken I've already bought cooked from a deli. Now I can do the whole process from raw!

Comment

Thanks you guys! These are great ideas and tips. My meat CSA gave me a pound of pork specifically labelled "Stew Pork" in my last batch so I think I'm going to try this Pork and Butternut Squash Stew recipe from everyday pale first: Pork Loin and Butternut Squash Stew | Everyday Paleo She doesn't say to brown the meat but reading what people have to say I think i will take the extra effort to do so.
                "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

I like my crock-pot for making bone stocks. But I have to agree with kennelmom, food made in the dutch oven really does taste quite a bit better to me than food made in the crock-pot.

I really wish that Le Crueset would make a enamled-cast iron crock pot!
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                  X