No announcement yet.

Traditional Cooking Methods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixie: Regarding not reheating broth in the microwave as mentioned in the WAP article; Is that bunk or do you abide by it? I've been using the microwave to reheat my broth and am considering using the stove instead in light of this info.

Comment

Well, I don't know. I typically use the stove or broiler for just about everything because there are very few situations in which I need something hot and ready to go in my belly in under five minutes or so--and if you're in the habit of using the stove, it doesn't really take any longer than the microwave. I work from home, so I always have access to conventional heating methods, and that makes things easy for me. YMMV if you're dealing with heating lunch at a work place or something.
      This paper: Evidence for the absence of amino acid isomerization in microwave-heated milk and infant formulas - Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (ACS Publications) seems to be a rebuttal to the Lubec publication, though I note that they're specifically referring to the affect on amino acids found in milk or formula as a generalization, and did not use gelatin-containing foods. I don't have access to the Lubec paper (or letter?) the WAPF article cites, so I can't compare the science and offer any sort of informed opinion on the conclusions drawn.
      From a lay-person's perspective though, I don't worry too much about toxins from the microwave. I use it as little as possible because it just feels more wholesome (in a philosophical way) to me to do things with as little technology as is practical, because conventional heating doesn't really take any longer, and because I typically prefer the texture and flavor of direct-heated food to steamed.
      My guess is this is probably one of those "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good", things.
      Last edited by mixie; 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM.
      “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
      - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Mixie.

Comment

Working...
        X