Bear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear?

Can anyone tell me what bear tastes like? It's hunting season here in MA and my friend's son got a big black bear. She's offering me a bear steak to try, but I'm not sure I should. Just wondering how different it is from other red meats. I was thinking if nothing else

Thoughts?

Don't eat it rare - unless you want some nasty wormies infections

I've eaten it once. Not something I'd consider a food item. I just felt strange eating something like that. It's just not "Prey" enough for me.

It was tangy and stringy, but I don't think it was a good piece of meat. It wasn't gross, just instinctively and psychologically uncomfortable.

Comment

Yeah, that's kind of where I am with it. I think you hit the nail on the head - I definitely don't think of bear as prey! I think I might pass on this one, and hope she'll share some venison instead!

Comment

FWIW, freezing for 90 days kills most parasites.

Comment

Now I am curious! I have never had bear, but supposedly, the taste of the bear meat depends on what the bear has been eating. I would think they'd be at their best right now, since berry season is winding up, and they would be fattening up to prepare for hibernation.
          With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

I, personally, haven't tasted bear, but when I was living between interior Alaska and Yukon Territory a lot of people talked about bear. Apparently, it's at its best when it is hunted during blueberry season. The bears eat a lot of blueberries and the meat is sweeter because of it. At least that's what I was told.
            kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Yum! Try it. Black bears are good eating(so long as they haven't been scavenging a carcass.) Fall bear should be fat on berries
              Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                FWIW, freezing for 90 days kills most parasites.
                For that to mean anything, you'd have to know which fall into the dead and not dead catagories. If any of the "not deads" are real harmful, freezing for 90 days won't mean much.

Comment

I had it in a soup once. Yech! Tasted stringy and greasy. I'll try anything (except horse, but that's just for nostalgic reasons) but I have no desire to try bear again.

Best predatory animals I've eaten are alligator and shark. Oh, and pig. If you don't believe me those things are savage, put it in a pen with a chicken and be scarred for life.

Comment

I have had it, once, never again.........
                    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Tangy and stringy is a good description. I don't care for it - but hey - you should try it at least once!
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Lol, I remember being slightly disappointed when I went with my Korean friend to a restaurant that served "black goat stew." Traditionally it was actually dog not goat, but it's illegal to eat dog in LA. Yet in the past some restaurants only had signs in Korean so Americans would be fooled and hardcore peeps could get their dog on. We ordered the goat stew and my friend was musing if it was actually dog or not. We were both certain it was goat, but yeah, there was a slight moment of "hmm...well it would have been interesting if it were dog." I'd never want to eat MY dog but if the chance presented itself I'd probably try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixflame View Post
                          Lol, I remember being slightly disappointed when I went with my Korean friend to a restaurant that served "black goat stew." Traditionally it was actually dog not goat, but it's illegal to eat dog in LA. Yet in the past some restaurants only had signs in Korean so Americans would be fooled and hardcore peeps could get their dog on. We ordered the goat stew and my friend was musing if it was actually dog or not. We were both certain it was goat, but yeah, there was a slight moment of "hmm...well it would have been interesting if it were dog." I'd never want to eat MY dog but if the chance presented itself I'd probably try it.

From a purely practical standpoint (i'm an absolute dog lover and have a fantastic rescue dog myself) - something along the lines of 1-2 million dogs are euthanized every year in this country. Seems a shame that they just go to waste. However, the food they eat is pretty crappy so I'm not sure they would be healthy to consume at all.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            From a purely practical standpoint (i'm an absolute dog lover and have a fantastic rescue dog myself) - something along the lines of 1-2 million dogs are euthanized every year in this country. Seems a shame that they just go to waste. However, the food they eat is pretty crappy so I'm not sure they would be healthy to consume at all.
                            Well I know in Korea the type of dog they use is very specific. It is not cute and cuddly.

Lol, this is turning into a canine version of Sweeney Todd.

Comment

My dad and brother's go bear hunting every year. Bear steak is tough and even marinated for days wasn't that tasty.

Bear sausage (bear meat mixed with pork fat and seasonings) is awesome!

Dad always used bear lard for his berry pies. It gave the crust a different but yummy flavor.
                              See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Working...
                              X