I hate brisket!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate brisket!!!!!

I hate brisket, last time I tried it, I was 16 years old, so that makes it roughly 31 years ago..... After reading through here, seems everyone loves it. So give me some good ideas to on how to fix it.

Thanks.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

What is it that you don't like about it? If what you had umpteen years ago was over done and dry, there is always slow cooking to keep it juicy and make it tender.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan, either. It's pretty tough for the price you pay. You have to braise it or smoke it to make it really good. A good dry rub, smoked with hickory for hours, then finished with applewood...oh man. Oh God, that's killing me right now.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

crockpot 10 hour cook with the bbq sauce I made, search the forum for it.
        My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
          I hate brisket, last time I tried it, I was 16 years old, so that makes it roughly 31 years ago..... After reading through here, seems everyone loves it. So give me some good ideas to on how to fix it.
          Slow roast for several hours. 5-8 maybe.

Comment

5-8 hours? 10 hours? My gosh, it really needs to be about 20-24 hours! Haven't ya'll heard of "low and slow" ? This stuff needs to be cooked *SLOW*!

Comment

24 hours? That's about 23 hours and 30 minutes more than I am willing to spend preparing a meal. Anyway, if you don't like brisket, you don't have to eat it, so why worry about it?
              Norak's Primal Journal:
              2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
              2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
              2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
                24 hours? That's about 23 hours and 30 minutes more than I am willing to spend preparing a meal. Anyway, if you don't like brisket, you don't have to eat it, so why worry about it?
                What about 15 minutes of prep followed by 23 hours and 45 minutes in a slow cooker, still too much work for ya? I love piling a weeks worth of meat into one of those and getting it all cooked up in one day.

I do agree with Norak's other sentiment though. If you don't like something, just don't worry about it! Cook food you enjoy eating (and preparing, for that matter.) I prefer loading a slow cooker up with a nice leg of lamb or a pork shoulder. When it comes to beef, give me a nice grilled sirloin tip, and I'm happy :-).

Cheers
                www.TheFitFatKid.com

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
                  See the problem is after 31 years am I really being fair to the poor brisket? I was a carnivore before going primal, so I thought I should give brisket a fair chance and I am looking for a good way to cook it......

My Journal
                  My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
                    What is it that you don't like about it? If what you had umpteen years ago was over done and dry, there is always slow cooking to keep it juicy and make it tender.
                    I am having troubles remembering my password to MDA, you expect me to remember something from 30 years ago? ;-) My guess what that it was tough and dry. I don't do dry meat very well. People think I am strange because I hate chicken breast, give me a thigh and drumstick any day. "What do you mean you don't have a dark meat chicken sandwich?"

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

i have never made brisket myself but every one i've ever bought already made or gotten from someone who's smoked it for me has always had a lot of fat on it.

believe me i hate white meat & dry meat. Brisket is almost too fatty for me. It's best smoked.

Comment

forget the brisket go and buy some pork belly and slow cook it much better and is more like the dark chicken meat it will fall apart and is all so good
                        i am the invisable man

Comment

I slow cook in a tagine which returns the steam to the dish - the result is really soft, tender and gorgeous meat.

living in the ice age: Beef Brisket with Lamb Kidneys and Mushrooms
                          ... and to use the leftovers, wraps: living in the ice age: Leftover Brisket Wraps
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I just started making brisket. We live in Kansas City, so there was never a reason to not go to a good BBQ joint in town (just saying Jack Stack is the best - so there!).

My first one was a bit dry. I forgot to marinade it! geez.

Lesson learned.

now my process is:
                            Get a nice cut of meat from your butcher.
                            Get out spiked meat tenderizer like you use on steaks and poke a lot of holes in it - BOTH SIDES
                            in pan, prepare what ever marinade you like. Place beef fat side up in the marinade, and cover. LET SIT in FRIDGE for at least 24 hours!!!!

Cooking pre-heat oven 200 deg.
                            Place beef and all remaining marinade in cooking dish.
                            cover with foil and cook 5-6 hours.
                            remove foil foil and cook for 1-2 more hours.

serve
                            eat

doing a brisket this weekend. Going to start marinade on Friday night and won't start to cook until Sunday a.m.
                            Julia
                            Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                            Started Primal Mid January 2011
                            Current Weight 183
                            Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                            http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

Season w/ salt, pepper, garlic, garlic powder, celery seeds, liquid smoke, balsamic vinegar & Any other spices you like cover w/ tinfoil - place in oven at 250 degrees and cook for 6-8hrs (depending on size of brisket)

made some last weekend... effin amazing. serve w/ horseradish, bbq sauce, mustard sauce... any thing really. love it w/a side of coleslaw that homemade..
                              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                              SW 190lb
                              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                              GW ~135lbs
                              5'3"
                              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Working...
                              X