Vegetarian fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian fail

Someone posted this one Facebook and I immediately thought, "I have to pick up a rabbit next time I see one at the butcher's"......dammit!

Anyone got any good bunny recipes?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Ahahaha, that's an awesome picture. The funniest part is that animals can do quite a lot for us, particularly in the realm of providing excellent satiety and nutrition!
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Rabbit Sauce Piquant

Rabbit sauce piquante | NOLA.com

Comment

Pan fried in olive oil ( better yet, bacon grease if you have it ) with your favorite chicken seasonings is how I do it.. simple. Be sure to use plenty of oil.. rabbit is notorious for drying out easily due to being so lean. So cook for a long time on low heat

Comment

The argument of "Food or Friend" is stupid.
          Animals can be both. I've had pet rabbits and i've eaten rabbits. Some were the siblings of others.

Just because we eat other creatures, does not make us cruel.
          Just because we love other creatures, does not make us weak.

I do both. I actually have a duck as a house pet. I enjoy her company and she lays some rockin' eggs. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
            I do both. I actually have a duck as a house pet. I enjoy her company and she lays some rockin' eggs. lol
            Housebroken?
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Diaper harness.

Comment

I grew up on a farm, same idea applied for us as Lily Marie says. We actually had a rabbit farm for a few years. Rabbit tacos were my favorite! I also loved to snuggle the rabbits. I had fur coats made by my granny, too. At six I got it. It was part of life.
                Woman, Artist, Wife, Visionary, Mother, Gardener, Daughter, Tea-drinker, Friend, Believer.

Comment

Diaper harness.
                  Riiiiiight...
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Someone said that animals don't care how they die, just how they live. So while some people are opposed to killing animals at all ( i can understand) for us omnivores the kindest thing you can do for your prey is support farms that give them a really comfortable healthy natural life and a swift merciful death, plus respect and gratefulness for nourishing us.

I'd be the first to admit that if I tried raising critters for food I'd end up with a petting zoo....
                    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

I believe that the manner of death is very important. If it wasn't - then torture and murder in humans wouldn't mean anything. When people say that it doesn't matter, because everything dies - it disgusts me.

Who cares that the child was raped and beaten for two weeks before being strangled? We all die anyway.
                      (Sorry, went a little dark there *oops* )

Respect your food!

Comment

CUMIN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH WILD RABBIT

Serves 4
                        Ingredients

12 scallops (preferably, roe on)
                        200g rabbit loin
                        400g fresh carrots
                        20g cumin seeds
                        20g coriander seeds
                        1 bunch coriander
                        Goose fat or butter
                        400 gr cauli rice

Method

Peel the carrots and cut into small wedges then blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool. Next crush the coriander and cumin in a mortar, then tumble the carrots with the goose fat or butter. Goose fat or duck fat is best for roasting carrots and root veg in general. But butter works fine. Roast for 20 minutes then cool.

In a hot pan, heat some butter and sear the rabbit loin and cook for approx 2-3 minutes on each side then rest. In another pan...or the same pan, on a high heat sear the scallops, then sprinkle the cumin and season.

Make the cauli rice, fry it lightly in butter and mix with the roasted carrots.

Serve the scallops and rabbit on top of the carrot-rice.

DRUNK BUNNY (inspired by beer-braised creamy, oh so creamy rabbit I had once at a french restaurant.)

1/2 teaspoon salt
                        1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                        About a pound of rabbit, diced
                        2 tablespoons butter
                        1 tablespoon olive oil
                        1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
                        3/4 cup chopped celery
                        3/4 cup chopped peeled carrot
                        1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 3 medium)
                        3 juniper berries, crushed
                        1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, halved
                        3 sprigs fresh thyme
                        3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
                        1 bay leaf
                        1 cup gluten-free beer
                        1/4 cup creme fraiche (soured cream and yoghurt will curdle; creme fraiche is best for cooking)
                        1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

1. Combine first 2 ingredients; sprinkle evenly over rabbit. Heat butter in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add rabbit to pan; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove pan from heat. Remove rabbit from pan; wrap in foil to keep warm.
                        2. Add celery, carrot, shallots, and juniper berries to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms. Place thyme, parsley, and bay leaf on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely. Add cheesecloth bag to pan. Return rabbit to pan, nestling into vegetable mixture. Stir in beer; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
                        3. Discard cheesecloth bag. Remove rabbit from pan; keep warm. Place pan over medium heat; stir in creme fraiche. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Divide the rabbit between 4 plates; top each serving with about 3/4 cup sauce and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Comment

The argument of "Food or Friend" is stupid.
                          Animals can be both. I've had pet rabbits and i've eaten rabbits. Some were the siblings of others.

Just because we eat other creatures, does not make us cruel.
                          Just because we love other creatures, does not make us weak.

So funny, we used to have a pet duck, outside pet though and a dog got him one day. I was so damn angry I went for my gun. I loved that duck You could call for him and he'd answer. We also had some cute bunnies and chickens at the same time. The only ones not slated for dinner was Quackers. lol
                          Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
                          Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
                          current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

Comment

A cat got my first duck, Abby.
                            Now, I have a secure dog kennel that Lola(current duck) stays in when she's outside.

Diaper harnesses aren't weird or crazy - they have them for other pet birds too - only they call them "flight suits" for parrots/parakeets ect.

Ducks, geese and other birds make awesome pets - only problem is they poop everywhere. Harnesses solve that problem.

On topic - Scallops and rabbit? that seems strange . . . but I wouldn't mind trying it.

Comment

If you eat dairy: Rabbit Fricassee with Tagliatelle - Gordon Ramsay's F-Word - BBC America (minus the pasta, of course... I served it over roasted cauliflower).
                              "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X