No announcement yet.

Primal "bread" (a dirty word, yes?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ditto on that. I do the recipe exactly as choco describes as well (i think the garlic sort of overpowers the little puffs too much). so good!

Comment

I have tried several primal and paleo bread recipes using coconut flour, almond meal, and/or flax meal; and I have yet to find one that wasn't dry as a desert and/or just plain awful. I don't plan to go back to a SAD life, but I certainly would love to find at least one "tried and true" bread recipe that is tasty. Help!

Comment

Just the word bread makes me want to hurl chunks.

Comment

Try adding potatoes for better softness/texture, like this, w/o sugar/soy (replace with nothing/tapioca) (obviously, if you are not using this or that, it might not apply):
          Dreamer's Alcove: Gluten-Free Potato Bread

This is actually close to the Italian potato cake (actual cake) I saw a recipe for some time ago.
          Last edited by Leida; 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

If someone is willing to eat rice, there are a lot of options open. I used to cook up a pot of rice a little soft (a little extra water). When it was cooled to barely warm, I put it through the food processor or stand mixer with yeast, some butter, and sweet rice/white rice flour. I let it rise in the pan and baked it. It was more of what I used to call a "farm style" than fluffy white style bread.

Comment

You know, I was just thinking that if you are willing to eat rice or potato, what to put butter on (original question) is sooo easily resolved sans bread....

Comment

I occasionally make acorn bread. But, it's really not bread per se. There's no gluten, it's high in protein and oil... oh my gosh... it's primal!

Comment

Originally posted by Green Deane View Post
                  I occasionally make acorn bread. But, it's really not bread per se. There's no gluten, it's high in protein and oil... oh my gosh... it's primal!
                  Just curious. Where do you get acorn flour or do you grind your own?

Comment

Are acorns bitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                      Are acorns bitter?
                      In their natural state, yes, very. I believe the native americans used them extensively but only after a complicated soaking process to get the bitterness out. That's why I was curious if someone had done that commercially.

Comment

I understand there is a lot of variability in the tannins in acorns.

Comment

Here's a couple of bread options

Use this crust as a flatbread: Our Love Affair With Pizza | FEED THE CLAN

Or for rolls: Paleo Garlic Mini Rolls | FEED THE CLAN

I'm curious about the acorn flour as well!
                          www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

having a paleo "bread" option is important for feeding/transitioning family members who aren't paleo; for instance, I would like to get a good substitute going so that I can replace the store bought wheat bread my husband eats with sandwiches; also, I have two friends who are gluten intolerant, so basically they also have use for paleo bread recipes and we can all eat the same thing. "fake" items are also useful for bringing to group functions, and you don't even have to tell anyone they are paleo. A substitute for corn chips would be good too, as my husband likes salty crunchy things. ps. the brazillian cheese balls are delicious (make with cheddar imo), and tapioca flour is fairly cheap, and I love the chewy texture it can have.
                            Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

and speaking of bread, here's a better use for it:

11 Horrifying Examples Of Inbread Animals
                              Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Primal Bread

Originally posted by TanyaV View Post
                                Here's a couple of bread options

Use this crust as a flatbread: Our Love Affair With Pizza | FEED THE CLAN

Or for rolls: Paleo Garlic Mini Rolls | FEED THE CLAN

I'm curious about the acorn flour as well!
                                Thanks for the pizza and garlic rolls recipes. I also looked at some of the recipes on your "Feed the Clan" site and they looked great!!

Comment

Working...
                                X