Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paleo bread's that actual stick together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • paleo bread's that actual stick together?

    I know gluten is the primary reason traditional bread sticks together, but I'm curious if there are any recipes out there you guys have tried where the bread doesn't crumble up when you pick it up or use it as a sandwich?

    I'm going to try this recipe and see what happens. I'll report back and let you guys know if I approve!

    Ingredients

    * 2/3 cup flax meal
    * 1/3 cup almond meal
    * 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * Pepper to taste
    * Salt to taste
    * Approximately 3 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
    * 2 eggs
    * Optional can add crushed thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary or cinnamon to taste
    *
    * Water to make the batter pourable

    Directions
    1. In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs together. Mix all ingredients and pour batter into regular loaf pan. Oil pan.
    2. 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until baked thru-out.
    Provided by: Group Recipes
    - Flax Meal

  • #2
    Here is a similar recipe from Elana's Pantry: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe | Elana's Pantry

    I made it, and really enjoyed it; it was firmer than any other paleo/primal bread I have ever made, and the taste of it was pretty fantastic. I did have to bake it for about 10 more minutes than the recipe states, and I just used a regular loaf pan lined with parchment paper instead of the loaf pan she recommends.
    "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind."

    Comment


    • #3
      Chebe bread mix, which is basically tapioca starch and sea salt, is wonderful, if you eat starches like that. Manioc flour comes from a root, so it's grain-free. I think that it's so much better than baking nut and seed flours at high temps.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

      “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fishergirl106 View Post
        Here is a similar recipe from Elana's Pantry: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe | Elana's Pantry

        I made it, and really enjoyed it; it was firmer than any other paleo/primal bread I have ever made, and the taste of it was pretty fantastic. I did have to bake it for about 10 more minutes than the recipe states, and I just used a regular loaf pan lined with parchment paper instead of the loaf pan she recommends.
        Thanks! I'll have to try this one as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          Chebe bread mix, which is basically tapioca starch and sea salt, is wonderful, if you eat starches like that. Manioc flour comes from a root, so it's grain-free. I think that it's so much better than baking nut and seed flours at high temps.
          +1

          Most "primal baking" makes me cringe. Exposing polyunsaturated fats to high heats over long periods of time is just terrible for you body.
          Lifting Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
            +1

            Most "primal baking" makes me cringe. Exposing polyunsaturated fats to high heats over long periods of time is just terrible for you body.
            isn't tapioca starch non-primal? from an amazon source I see the ingredients for the chebe mix as this:

            Manioc (tapioca) flour, modified manioc starch (100% manioc), iodine-free sea salt, cream of tartar, sodium bicarbonate.

            Where I can get a natural chebe mix free from modified stuff?

            thanks guys f

            Comment


            • #7
              You can make the chebe bread rolls using pure tapioca starch with the following recipe:


              Gluten Free Pao de Quejo ~ Cheese Bread
              Makes 12 – 1 1/2 inch wide biscuits/rolls

              Ingredients:

              1 1/4 cups tapioca flour (same thing as tapioca starch)

              2 cups shredded cheese (we used an Italian blend)

              1 teaspoon baking powder

              2 eggs

              1/4 cup melted butter

              2 teaspoons dill

              2 teaspoons dried chives
              Directions:

              1. Preheat your oven to 450F.
              2. Mix together all ingredients in your mixer well.
              3. Form in to balls (about 1 1/2 inches or 2 inches) and slightly flatten. (Almost make them in to small disks, if you want them to look like what is in the picture… or leave them as puffed balls! You decide!)
              4. Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
              5. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown.
              6. Serve warm with sandwich fixings or your favorite soup.

              Comment


              • #8
                so carb wise, is it better to stick with nut based breads (almond flour, coconut flour) as opposed to tapioca starch? Unsure what the nutritional breakdown is for these types of bread.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i just made the bread recipe in the OP. i think its either missing some ingredients or is not intended as a loaf style bread. the ingredients as listed do not rise and in a loaf style pan only covers the bottom 3/4" when done cooking. also taste isnt so great either
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tapioca starch is fine--it's from a root. It's carby, though, if you're worried about such things.

                    You could also try Rivvin's angry bread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                    Owly's Journal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I made Elana's Paleo bread several times now. Love it, it's the only type of bread that feels, tastes and is filling bread. Hubby loves this one. I have tried many others but this one is a winner.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I also like Elana's paleo bread. If you're concerned about over-heating the fats in the flour, etc., I wouldn't worry *too* much. Most bread recipes only heat to about 210F internally when completely baked. (I know some people are very vigilant about that stuff, but I'm not--at least yet.) At any rate, that is the best recipe I've tried thus far... and I've tried several.
                        My blog (primal after 8/5/11).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by blueballoon View Post
                          I also like Elana's paleo bread. If you're concerned about over-heating the fats in the flour, etc., I wouldn't worry *too* much. Most bread recipes only heat to about 210F internally when completely baked. (I know some people are very vigilant about that stuff, but I'm not--at least yet.) At any rate, that is the best recipe I've tried thus far... and I've tried several.
                          yeah, I just made this bread and it is really good. Is there really a consensus out there on overheating the fats in the flour. Can it really be that bad? Would be curious what the rest of the community thinks becase this bread is a winner. Would be curious how many carbs are in a slice though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I find upping egg content or adding mild cheese to any regular paleo bread recipe helps.
                            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

                            No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fishergirl106 View Post
                              Here is a similar recipe from Elana's Pantry: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe | Elana's Pantry

                              I made it, and really enjoyed it; it was firmer than any other paleo/primal bread I have ever made, and the taste of it was pretty fantastic. I did have to bake it for about 10 more minutes than the recipe states, and I just used a regular loaf pan lined with parchment paper instead of the loaf pan she recommends.
                              +1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X