Salad Dressings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Dressings

Are there any dressing that are available to buy in typical grocery stores that would be okay to eat as part of the primal diet? What should I be looking for in the ingredients and Nutritional profile?

I put mustard on my salads a lot.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Someone made a salad for me the other day that had just freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil. It was freaking delicious. So now that is what I am doing.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Some assembly required...olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt and oregano. Make to taste.
        My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

I haven't come across anything in a regular grocery store that isn't made with garbage oil. You can find stuff at WF or health food stores, but it's normally a lot cheaper to make your own.

Comment

Is soy sauce and sesame oil primal?
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Bacon, blue cheese, coconut milk/oil, garlic, oregano and cumin...and a couple grinds of black pepper:-)
              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by danzangaro View Post
                Are there any dressing that are available to buy in typical grocery stores that would be okay to eat as part of the primal diet?
                Pretty much... no.
                I haven't found one yet that isn't made with soybean oil or loaded up with a crapload of chemicals, and I've been looking for 4 months now. Even things like mayo "Made with olive oil!" is made with more soybean oil than olive oil.
                Durp.

Comment

I have tried many different Vinaigrette recipes, and have not yet found one as good as La Martinique's True French Vinaigrette. The trouble is it is made with evil cottonseed oil. So what I do is carefully pour off the bad oil and replace with olive oil. Luckily, this particular dressing is very separated and it is easy to do, but it's makes for a very expensive salad dressing, since it's already over $4 a bottle before I pour the olive oil in.

Hubby likes that yucky Wishbone dressing that doesn't separate at all (a very bad sign in salad dressing). He always frowns if I dress the salad with my dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                    Is soy sauce and sesame oil primal?
                    No. Soy sauce has gluten in it. You can replace it with Tamari. Sesame seed oil is full of PUMA and oxidizes quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by danzangaro View Post
                      Are there any dressing that are available to buy in typical grocery stores that would be okay to eat as part of the primal diet?
                      They exist, but there are very few of them. As others have mentioned, olive oil + balsamic vinegar + a bit of pepper(or something similar) is easy and reasonably cheap.

What should I be looking for in the ingredients and Nutritional profile?
                      The main thing is a *short* ingredient list, with the right kind of oil - or more accurately, the absence of bad oils. Avoid soybean/corn/canola/vegetable oils - get a dressing with olive oil as the only oil if at all possible. (Warning: many dressings that say olive oil on the front of the jar/bottle actually use more soybean/canola oil than olive - check the label on the back)

Comment

Olive Oil and Balsamic

I am probably going to use the Olive Oil and Balsamic with some spices added in. What is the ratio to use with Balsamic and Olive oil?

Comment

I just add them in and taste it. Drizzle the olive oil and, if you can imagine, a few splashes of balsamic. Use your thumb over the vinegar bottle hole to control how much comes out. Start with olive oil and go from there. If you find it gets too much flavor of one thing or not enough, just add more oil/salt/balsamic. Warning - Too much olive oil will just make it all soggy and don't go crazy with the balsamic. So go slow and taste often.
                          My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                            No. Soy sauce has gluten in it. You can replace it with Tamari. Sesame seed oil is full of PUMA and oxidizes quickly.
                            Isn't Tamari made with soybeans? I saw some in a store and I'm 99% sure it was in the ingredients. Some people use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.

M/30y/190#

Comment

I make it every day, sometimes twice. I often use good ingredients, good olive oil, good vinegar; mostly I use the every day stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X