Having problems seasoning a black iron pan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems seasoning a black iron pan

Got a new black iron (not cast iron) fry pan that refuses to season. At first all seemed well, I washed it to get the anti rust coating off, then wiped a thin coat of dripping over the pan and heated it on the gas burner, several times as per the instructions. After cooking two omelettes a little of the seasoning came off, so I wiped it over with dripping again and heated. More seasoning came off and now it seems the more I try to re season the more it comes off, in fact you can see the flakes appearing as it cools.
    I hate getting black flakes in food as I'm sure they are not good for you and at the moment the pan looks like it has a weird skin disease.

I have wire wool and elbow grease but no other method of taking it back to square one. The pan won't go in the oven as the handle is too long, otherwise I would treat it as my other cast iron cookware.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
    TIA

My suggestion...let it go. Others say that it's easy-peasy to have a perfectly seasoned pan with an initial investment of time and energy, but they're lying. It's like a life-long quest for the great white whale that will only end in pain and misery. Let it go.

Comment

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Can't let it go, its bugging me now. Must get it right no way am I going back to the evil non stick.

IvyBlue - thank you for the link, I will check it out.

Comment

Great website, will use it!

Comment

If your oven is too small, maybe you could use on outdoor charcoal or propane grill. Also, make sure (as the guide IvyBlue posted says) you aren't using too much oil/dripping. You want a really thin layer.

Comment

Unfortunately our grill is about 12" square and hasn't seen the light of day this summer due to the lack of ... a summer. I have a range cooker with a double wok burner which i thought would be hot enough. I heated the pan until it stopped smoking by which time oil should have burnt off leaving the finish if I've got it right?

Comment

what is the differnce with black iron and cast iron?
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I love my Griswold. I seek them out at every garage or estate sale I stumble upon.

Flesh on fat on iron on fire. Yum.

Comment

I'm not sure, I think its a different metal composition. When this pan came it was silver and only as heavy as a normal pan.

Comment

unless my research sucks it is only a difference in marketing.

so when you absolutely cannot season a pan you must remove all traces of seasoning.

thre are many ways to do it but i am an lazy bum so into my self cleaning cycle it goes. you have to have a freind somewhere that has an oven with self cleaning if you dont

burn the sucker out... BTW if it is really really horrid like my frieinds was you need to remove any oven protector gear ( like a silicon pad ) before you kick it off, hers was so horrid that i had to open the house and turn on every vent, it was old nasty oil.

after that is done then use a copper or steel scrubby to rough up the surface.
                      then get some rendered beef tallow ( dont have that? ) or pork lard ( all out ) , or bacon grease ( shame you wont be eating this bacon ) usin the stove top bring it to a fry in the pan and then let that cool. ( if you are not cooking bacon you dont need to let it sit at temp for more than 5 minutes )

let it cool then using a paper towel wipe the rest of the surfaces with the fat. place in your 350 deg oven for 2 hours. normal side up.
                      cool, re apply cook again upside down.

pan ready. for the first 3 uses dont cook anything in it that you need to use ANY cleansers for. no salt, no scrubby, no spatula applied with force.

after that you should be goldern.

of course you know not to use water in it or tomatoes ( no acid)

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Unfortunately the pan wont go in the oven and I don't know of any one with a self cleaning oven either. I'm not sure if you can put black iron into the oven as you can cast iron. I feel that I have ruined a brand new pan because it looks so awful and am not keen on cooking with it in its current state.

Comment

I've been through this - it peels off. I find that pork fat (lard) rubbed onto the iron, and heated / wiped 4x makes for a brilliant non-stick surface. Even omelettes come out great.

But I found (after a fair bit of experiment and following the site given here) that oils just don't work. Not long term.

Comment

Originally posted by edgehill10 View Post
                            Unfortunately the pan wont go in the oven and I don't know of any one with a self cleaning oven either. I'm not sure if you can put black iron into the oven as you can cast iron. I feel that I have ruined a brand new pan because it looks so awful and am not keen on cooking with it in its current state.
                            send a link to this monster i am curious

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Originally posted by edgehill10 View Post
                              I'm not sure, I think its a different metal composition. When this pan came it was silver and only as heavy as a normal pan.
                              It does not sound like an iron pan. They are unmistakably heavy (I think this is necessary as iron is not as strong as steel or other alloys) and would never be silver. Maybe a dull metal color if not seasoned at all or if not treated well, rusty. Which would make seasoning a waste of time. It is only necessary on iron because of its porosity.
                              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Working...
                              X