Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mmmmmm...chili...NO BEANS and a tone of meat!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmmmm...chili...NO BEANS and a tone of meat!!!

Here is a recipe I made for some nice fatty beef chili. The original was from Williams-Sonoma... I just added a bit. And it only costs 12-15 bucks...you'll have dinner for a week!

Saute 5 lbs of beef (73/27)...mine was probably grain-fed...

Place in a slow-cooker and add:

6-8 Tbls Chili Powder (I used 6-7...perfect!)

1-2 Tsp Cumin

1-2 tsp oregano leaves

1-2 yellow onions...chopped

5 cloves of garlic...chopped

1-2 jalapenos (with or without seeds)

2 cups beef broth (I used 2 beef cubes and 2 cps H2O)

1 28oz can chopped tomatoes with liquid

Salt (kosher or sea) / pepper as needed

Stir

Cook on high in cooker for 6 hours...

Enjoy with sour cream, cheese, scallions, green onions etc...

Oops...that's a ["ton" of beef]...not tone...

Comment

I made this yesterday, using ground turkey in addition to the beef for some extra texture. It was amazing.

Comment

May I suggest substituting water with beer instead? It will ad an amazing flavor to this chili.

Comment

...also back off on the chili powder and add chipotle powder? Adds bite and a wonderful taste of smoke!

Comment

Beer...Chipotle powder... Both sound great! As does the turkey. I'll have to try all three next time!!!

BACON- I'm glad you liked it!

Comment

I like the recipe, I also cook mine in a slow cooker. I like to use whole cuts of meat and cube them into roughly 3/4 inch cubes and put them in the cooker raw, add ingredients then cook on low for 12 to 14 hours. Works great if you make it early evening, then its ready to go on your eggs in the morning.

Comment

Stupid question... I'm going to make this over weekend and use Yuengling beer as ChoclateChip has suggested. How will this affect the carb content of the chili?

I have not had beer since going PB in July so just wanted to know. All bear drinking has been subbed for Johny Walker Green :-)

Comment

12 oz of beer will add 8-15g carbs to the recipe (not per serving), so it's pretty minimal.

That said, whiskey and 100% chocolate are good in chili, too!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

(Figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting my own)

Personally I prefer to use chuck or stew meat cut into bite size pieces instead of ground meat. I think it's more authentic to the dish's origins too (some cookie out on the trail trying to use up a cow that didn't make it). And it provides a better texture to the finished dish.

So here's my recipe for Terlingua Primal Chili - and it's about as easy as falling off a log.

3lbs of chuck roast cut into 1-inch pieces

1 large can of crushed tomatoes

1 large can of whole tomatoes, chopped (just use your kitchen shears to cut them into pieces while still in the can)

1 bottle of medium ale

Spices

Saute the meat in the fat of your choosing (I like bacon) until the outsides are browned. This will take 2 or 3 batches. Put the browned meat in the crockpot.

Deglaze the pan with tomato juice from the can and the bottle of beer. Pour into the crockpot

Add the cans of tomato.

Add spices (more on this in a bit)

Let simmer all day.

Spices I use (and I measure these out by taste so you're on your own for amounts - sorry)

Cumin

Garlic

Cilantro

Paprika

Cayenne Pepper

Oregeno

Pepper

Cocoa Powder

Coriander

Cinnamon

Ginger

Anise

Cloves

Cardomom

Kosher Salt

Comment

This thread is great, now I really want to make some chili! My husband has heartburn issues so I try to cook with very little tomato, but I made a chili a few weeks ago (pre-primal) with less tomato and plenty of beef stock to make up the rest of the liquid, and it came out really well.

I've got some beer at home that I'll probably never get around to drinking, and I'm just wondering, can you taste a beer-like flavor in the chili if you use it? My husband doesn't like beer at all, so I would hate to make a big crock pot of chili and have to eat it all myself. (Or would I...)

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

It doesn&#39;t taste like beer, but the beer adds a certain amount of savoriness to the finished product. Mostly it tastes like beef and spices. Also, the alcohol picks up and dissolves flavor compounds that aren&#39;t water or fat soluble.

If your husband can still taste it then you can use plain water (or beef stock, or chicken stock) instead. You just won&#39;t get as much bang for your buck.

Comment

Thanks LX, sounds like it&#39;s worth a try with the beer. Time to go buy more beef! =]

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Massive amounts of snow and freezing temps prompted my earch for Chili yesterday and found this recipe and have to bump it up to share!

I made it yesterday and substituted 1lb of the ground beef for ground Italian sausage. I also added a medium can of diced green chili and it was delicious! Having it for breakfast today with 2 fried eggs on top. Yummmmm

Comment

Primal Chili Recipe: From this site, I just modified it.
                              Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
                              2 onions, diced
                              3 pasilla peppers, seeded and diced - I used 4 New Mexican Red Chiles and 4 Serrano Chiles instead, more heat
                              1 red pepper, seeded and diced - I substituted a can of diced green chiles
                              3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
                              2 tablespoons dried oregano
                              2 tablespoons paprika
                              2 tablespoons ground coriander
                              1 tablespoon cumin
                              1 tablespoon chili powder
                              6 cloves garlic, minced
                              1 cinnamon stick
                              2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed
                              1 dark beer, such as a porter or imperial stout- I used a Cream Stout
                              2-4 tablespoons canned chipotle chile, diced
                              1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
                              Grated queso fresco, for garnish
                              Cilantro leaves, for garnish
                              Lime wedges, for garnish

Method:

Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil, and the onions. Cook until everything is soft and the onions are beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. I re-hydrated the peppers then pureed them and added them after cooking the onions for roughly 8 minutes.

Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.

Add oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, beer and chipotle (add as little as one teaspoon to the whole can depending on how hot you’d like your chili).

Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork.

Return it to the pot, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Right before you are ready to serve add the red wine vinegar to the pot and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

Serves 6-8.

This chili is super hearty and really satisfying!! It takes a little time to prep but it's totally worth it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X