Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale is... delicious?! Recipe+Question :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale is... delicious?! Recipe+Question :)

So Kale and I aren't exactly best-friends-- more like amiable yet slightly suspicious neighbors, peeking over the fence at each other (yes, I do enjoy anthropomorphizing my leafy greens, thanks for noticing). But I just made a saute for lunch that blew my mind: some summer squash, a garlic clove, leeks, splash of olive-oil and a cut up strip of bacon, all sauteed together with the kale added in last. So f'ing good, and the perfect side to cold roast chicken. This is going to become one of my veggie-staples.

But I'm left with about a 1/2 bunch of kale, and while I could happily re-make my recipe, I'm now curious about other uses for this surprisingly yummy green. Any suggestions?

kale chips!
    it's also surprisingly good as a raw salad green-it can take a nice heavy dressing like something made with bacon grease, in fact, I plan to try this recipe this week: Kale Salad with Warm Andouille Sausage Dressing | Paleo Spirit
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

I like raw kale salad. I've read the trick to enjoying it raw is to add salt, which will tender it up. My one meal quick salad is finely chopped kale, 1 TBSP of lemon juice (or more to taste), chopped garlic, a good sprinkle of celtic sea salt and as much olive oil as I feel like. All of this is to taste. The garlic really makes it for me. If you make a larger batch of this and put it in the fridge, the salt will really go to work on it and it will be much nicer and last several days.

Comment

Both of these sound delicious-- luckily I bought a huge bunch of kale so I have enough to make chips AND salad. By next Tues. I might turn green, but the kale will be finished Thanks for the ideas!!

Comment

I never liked kale before this year when I started growing it in my garden. it has thrived and I have had to come up with a few different ways of preparing it. I definitely prefer it raw. The kale salad with sausage (posted above) is good and my husband and I really like kale avocado salad too
          Kale: “The Queen of Greens” | Paleo Spirit
          I took this to a 4th of July picnic and people were very surprised at how much they liked it -several asked for the recipe. I agree that salt and lemon juice sort of "cook" the kale and soften it up without making it soggy.
          P.S. My kids and I have been anthropomorphizing our leafy greens too. (easier to get them to eat greens that way). Collards are very sarcastic.
          www.paleospirit.com
          Like me on Facebook at https://www.Facebook.com/PaleoSpirit

Comment

kale chips! i just rip it into pieces, add olive oil and sea salt. bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. . . even my kids eats it!

Comment

I agree! Kale chips. Coconut oil, turmeric, cayenne, cumin and salt!!!
              http://www.cppsych.com/

http://glutenfreenp.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yum, I'm trying the kale chips with spices!

Comment

Cream kale, either with cow's milk cream or coconut cream, both are great.

+1 for the crispy kale chips too, with salt, salt & pepper, or lemon/lime and chilli flakes

Sauted in butter or coconut oil, or in bacon fat, or for that matter chuck it in the pan after with the chopped bacon you've just cook and stir well so it all gets covered in the fat/grease, yum!
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

yes it is, my goodness!

i'm also in love with silver beet and swiss chard! i love some hearty winter leaves!

Comment

Not a fan of kale chips myself, but kale is a favorite food of mine...This frittata is a nice way to incorporate a lot of it..
                      Spiced Beef and Kale Frittata
                      For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lol, I checked back in and WOW there are quite a lot of things to do with kale. I tried the kale chips-- really good, although I think I overcooked them a little bit (something I'm sure will improve with practice ) Kale salad's next in line, probably tonight. Thanks guys!

Comment

Buttered kale:

a bunch of kale ripped up
                          about 1/2 stick of butter
                          chopped garlic (optional
                          salt (optional - if butter isn't salted)

Melt butter, toss in kale, stir until butter is all soaked up, put in garlic and salt if using. Stir around and let the garlic toast, but be careful not to overcook it.

Comment

This sounds good but will it cause the olive oil to turn into transfats? (referring to a post that said to rip kale, add olive oil and sea salt and bake for 400 degrees/8minutes)

Comment

I eat a lot of kale, but I prefer the Dino kale over the curly edge kale ... raw in salads, chopped and throw in with scrambled eggs, kale chips, love it just wilted in a stir-fry, use the small tender leaves as wraps for boiled egg, or leftover meats ... Love this stuff !
                              Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

Working...
                              X