No announcement yet.

AMAZING Primal Snack - Coconut Chips!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMAZING Primal Snack - Coconut Chips!!

I made this today and ZOMG, it was so good.

Ingredients:

Coconut flakes (not shredded) - I used this: http://tinyurl.com/y9fr5cd

Coconut oil - a little bit

Salt

Take a handful of coconut flakes and spread it on a plate and nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and mix the flakes and nuke again for 30 seconds. You'll see the edges turning slightly golden. Add a little bit of coconut oil and mix and season with salt. I also added some cayenne pepper. You have the yummiest, fattiest, oh-so-good-for-you chips.

If done in the oven, the flakes would get evenly roasted but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm sure you would never touch a microwave again if you read up on what it actually does to the food. It's beyond unhealthy and actually very dangerous to your body. Just a heads up!

Comment

Kasey, thanks for the heads up. Mind sharing the links/studies?

Comment

I doubt the microwave is killing us. Do you know what the stomach does to food? A barbecue?

And thanks for sharing maba, I've never heard of this snack before.

Comment

Neither had I. I just made it up y'day.

Comment

Supposedly, the microwave's radiation changes the molecular makeup of the food. Like if you microwave water and feed it to a plan exclusively, it will die. They also say not to microwave a baby's formula... because it degrades the nutuition in it.

Not really sure... I do generally try to aviod the microwave as well though.

Comment

just google the dangers of microwaves. Some studies have shown a 98% loss of nutrients after microwaving broccoli. Other studies have shown a large increase in white blood cells after ingesting any microwaved food. Which basically means, after microwaving something, your body no longer recognizes it as food and sends it's immune system army to attack the foreign invader!

So not only are you losing most nutrients, ingesting microwaved food can actually do more harm than good. Use a convection oven if you must have a box to cook in lol.

And to klcarbaugh: "I doubt the microwave is killing us. Do you know what the stomach does to food? A barbecue?"

The stomach breaks food down within a safe temperature range, unlike the microwave and barbecue. If you are browning anything by cooking, you are creating harmful substances that your body must "get rid of". Your body is not going to be able to use the blackened surface of meat for amino acids, they are fused together and can no longer be separated by enzymes. They just burden the body.

Barbecue for taste, not for health.

Comment

Lemme guess. You're one of those "raw food movement" people, right?

Comment

I didn't get that from her posts at all, Jamie. Also, the folks at WAFP advise not to use a microwave for the very same reasons.

I don't own a microwave. I hate the way food tastes when cooked in one, so all of my food is cooked on or in the oven. I could not, however, tell you if the studies Kasey is trying to site are valid or not.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                  Current weight: 199
                  Goal: 145

Comment

One of those raw food movement people? You say that pretty judgmentally. I'm sorry that I have healed myself from ulcerative colitis eating a raw food diet, and have decided to share some of the things I've learned along the way with you guys.

Now I'm looking to widen my diet beyond raw foods. I'm never stuck in one mentality and am always open to other options.

P.S Katt, I'm a guy. I couldn't figure out how to put a pic up ; )

Comment

My microwave blew up on me a few days ago - started lightning up and smoking! I'm officially done with it. Not that I used it much in the first place, but now I'm avoiding it at all costs. My mom wants to buy a new one, but I'm gonna try to get her not to...

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I&#39;d read about not using microwave on WAPF and I tried it for a few days, but it was so inconvenient. I&#39;m not sure about the science behind it, but I agree w/ Katt on certain foods tasting odd when cooked in the microwave. I use it almost exclusively for reheating food.

Comment

Still, I&#39;d wager that primal food cooked in the microwave is still better than non-primal food cooked in the microwave.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just don&#39;t enjoy those posters who have to poo-poo all over someone&#39;s idea for a primal snack. There&#39;s a nice way to say things, and then there&#39;s a not-so-nice way.

For example: "Cooking the chips in an oven might be a more healthy alternative"

is far more polite and less snarky than: "I&#39;m sure you would never touch a microwave again if you read up on what it actually does to the food."

Comment

Thanks for the snack idea. Before the PB, I used to HATE the taste of coconut. Now I use coconut oil to cook everything in and I drink coconut milk by the can. Coconut chips never occurred to me, but it sounds amazing.

Also, I wouldn&#39;t go tossing the microwave oven out just yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4080

I believe Mark has posted on this somewhere as well. If I recall, he used to be down on microwaving, but has since evaluated the evidence more thoroughly and sees no problem with it. Though you should, of course, still evaluate the evidence for yourself and decide accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                              X