Zucchini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zucchini

I tried something new with zucchini today by cutting it into spaghetti-looking strips and frying them in olive oil with diced garlic. It was beyond good! Any other ways to prepare zucchini that I should know about?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

“Spaghetti” in Creamy Tomato Sauce | Everyday Paleo

I made this tonight, it turned out pretty damn tasty. The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the thinness of the sauce, but definitely enjoyable!

Comment

I love slicing it on the diagonal, coating it with olive oil and salt, and grilling it. I've also thinly sliced it lengthwise into ribbons, grilled them, and then rolled them up with a little goat cheese inside. So good!
      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Slice thin and use as lasagna sheets!

Comment

Use a potato peeler and create ribbons to mimic egg noodles in dishes (I usually toss into the dish and cook for just a few minutes until tender)
          Erin
          Daily Vlogs
          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Oh wow, there are some good ideas ITT. Thanks! I'm especially excited to try the lasagna one. Hopefully the whole family will like it and I won't have to make a separate meal for myself anymore on lasagna nights.

And the egg noodle-shaped zucchini sounds like a good one to try out on my kids, especially with my youngest. It's so hard to get him to eat vegetables.

Comment

About the lasagna, you don't even have to slice it lengthwise; just slice thin circles and layer them as lasagna sheets. It's a lot quicker and easier, AND this is also super-tasty with eggplant.

Comment

Unchatenfrance, do you cook the eggplant at all before you make the casserole?

Comment

I do nothing special with the zucchini, but I slice and lightly salt the eggplant and leave it in a colander for a few hours to drain out some of the bitter liquid. Then I pat it dry with a paper towel before placing it in the casserole.

Comment

personally, i just like eating it raw!
                    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                      Oh wow, there are some good ideas ITT. Thanks! I'm especially excited to try the lasagna one. Hopefully the whole family will like it and I won't have to make a separate meal for myself anymore on lasagna nights.

And the egg noodle-shaped zucchini sounds like a good one to try out on my kids, especially with my youngest. It's so hard to get him to eat vegetables.
                      Here is my zuch lasagna recipe if you have some extra time (I make this for company a lot...always a crowd pleaser) Primal Zucchini Lasagna

Here is an easy recipe for a one dish meal with the ribbons.....takes me about 20-25 minutes to make this in total which I like when we are in a hurry for dinner but want something from scratch. Paleo Zucchini Ribbon Goulash

Just thought I would share....zucchini seems to sneak into a lot of my dishes, and it is that time of year!
                      Erin
                      Daily Vlogs
                      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

another way to do zucchini as basically a side dish is to get a variety of zucchinis (green, yellow, etc) slice them into circles and then half them and then simply throw them in a pan with some ghee (enough so that the zucchini has a coating) it turns out amazing!

Comment

Erin, that lasagna looks so good. I'm practically drooling! I can't see how anyone, primal or otherwise, can resist that dish. I can't wait to try it out, sometime later this week after I do the grocery shopping.

Star Whisperer, I haven't tried ghee yet. Zucchini will be a good excuse to try it. I forgot all about using yellow zucchini. Colors are always nice to have on the plate when it comes to getting my kids to eat vegetables.

Comment

I halved, then scooped mine out yesterday and filled with a mix of fried up ground beef (1 lb), chopped boiled eggs (2 eggs), onions and grated carrot with parsley and a touch of garlic and black pepper. Then baked them in a hot oven (475 degrees) for 40 min in chicken broth with the scooped out flesh filling out all the 'seams' between my zuccini half-boats. It was delicious, no waste and I used the scooped out flesh cooked in the broth as extra zuccini.

My husband's favorite way to eat zuccini is zuccini chips: I cut them in thick chips, splash with a bit of olive oil & coarse salt and broil 7 min on each side. Generally, I make 1/2 zuccini, 1/2 eggplant.

I also make the same dish you did, but I use butter, brown it with some nuts and then add garlic and zuccini "linguini".
                            Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Erin, I just printed off those recipes! Can't wait to try them. Thanks so much for sharing!
                              Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                              Current: 155 - size 10/12
                              Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X