2cups chicken bone broth
    1/4" chunk of ginger thinly sliced
    1/2tsp hawaiian salt
    5oz kelp noodles
    6oz chicken breast cooked diced
    1 bunch baby bok choy
    2 stalks scallions chopped
    2-3 serrano chilies sliced

Heat broth to a low boil, add ginger and salt. Simmer for 30min, add remaining ingredients and continue to cook until bok choy starts to wilt
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

longrice! Holy crap, haven't heard that term in a dog's age! I grew up in Hawaii (on Kauai) and grew up on the stuff.

I am loving kelp noodles -- great either cooked or raw .... my newest culinary discovery. I will def. be making this one. I've got a big smile on my face right now. Thanks so much for posting.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

This was so delicious (and easy)! Will definitely be making this one again.

Comment

oh my god! I thought I would never eat longrice again! Can't wait to find the kelp in the grocery store. Thanks a bunch!
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Looks awesome. One question though, where do you find kelp noodles?
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

That does look good. I might have to make some soon.

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
            Looks awesome. One question though, where do you find kelp noodles?
            Asian market/grocery store.

Comment

Not all Asian markets have kelp noodles, the Japanese oriented stores do but not the Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese or Filipino places
              http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am so spoiled. A locally owned large grocery store two miles from my house has them. Can't hardly keep them on the shelves. (Did we mention they have zero carbs and zero calories and no flavor of their own?)

Comment

Also, a lot of raw foodists have clued into kelp noodles and eat the hell outta them, raw. (Which is why Chuck's Produce can't keep them on the shelves.) So any store in your area that caters to that crowd will definitely have them. My local Whole Food does not carry them. They will be in the refrigerated section.
                  Last edited by TigerLily; 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Two things...

1) I keep reading the headline as "chicken licorice." o.O

2) Glad to see kelp noodles on the forum! My grocery started carrying them and I wasn't sure if I should buy them. I think I will give them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                      My local Whole Food does not carry them. They will be in the refrigerated section.
                      My local one does, and it's in the ethnic aisle where you can find the nori and stuff.

Comment

Are kelp noodles like the shirataki/Miracle Noodle noodles?
                        Last edited by Kaylee99; 09-02-2011, 03:56 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
                        See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylee99 View Post
                          Are kelp noodles like the shirataki/Miracle Noodle noodles?
                          Nah, all three are different.

Kelp noodles are kind of rubbery and crunchy, kind of like if you ate a seaweed salad at a Japanese restaurant. Except the kelp noodles we're talking about are more crunchy because they're thicker.

Shirataki noodles are made from konjac jelly. They have a jelly-like consistency and are also rubbery and chewy. These have almost no nutrition, but have some fiber and soak up the taste of soups, broth sauces, etc. quite well.

When people refer to miracle noodles, they mean the tofu shirataki noodles made by House brand of tofu. These are half tofu, half konjac noodles that are less rubbery, but are easier to eat with western, non-broth type sauces, such as alfredo.

Comment

darn, I have shirataki noodles-I was hoping they were the same. On to driving around town to find kelp noodles-those sound yummy! I've never had them.
                            See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Working...
                            X