Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker

Has anyone made bone broth in a pressure cooker? Being the weekend I'd like to make a lot and freeze it in one cup portions. This pressure cooker sits on the stove, its not a "plug-in". I need an idea of how long and I don't even know what the guage should read. Its a borrowed appliance and didn't come with instructions.

Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker

I re-looked at the pressure cooker and it doesn't have a guage on it. I managed to Google the brand name and found the manual. The manual recipe for stock says cook about 1/2 hour. Since I want the broth richer an hour sounds better. I was disappointed that the manual said to add only 2 pints of water to the bones. Its going to take forever to make enough to freeze for about a month. Cooking this way, could the bones be re-used? I paid about $10 for 3 smallish packages of neck bones and 1 package of knuckle bones.

Comment

I recently made my first batch of broth in a pressure cooker. I've made it many times before on the stove or in the crockpot. I can't help with pressure cooker details because mine is an electric one, but I will say the amount of gelatin I got was shocking! I don't know if it was something about the batch of bones, or because of the pressure but I am sure it is the healthiest stock I've ever had
      Last edited by jammies; 07-23-2011, 02:45 PM.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I have to say the thought of being able to make broth in an hour or so versus two days has a certain appeal to me. Considering i make so much stock, this might be a viable option Please let me know how this goes for you.

Comment

Bone Broth in a Pressure Cooker

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
          I have to say the thought of being able to make broth in an hour or so versus two days has a certain appeal to me. Considering i make so much stock, this might be a viable option Please let me know how this goes for you.
          I'll be sure to post the outcome. I Googled Bone Broth in a Pressure Cooker, or the other way around, and found a YouTube video with a lady talking about re-using the bones every day for 12 days and still getting gelatiny/broth. She was using a crock pot but it seems it would be the same principle with the pressure cooker. Unless the pressure cooker extracted every bit of goodness out of the bones the first time. I keep going back to the cost of the bones but $10 is a lot for just a few days worth of broth. I'm going to give beef feet bones a try. Sounded gross but the bone is described as "above the hoof around the area of the ankle".

Comment

Amazing - this is just the info I was looking for. I had a pressure cooker years ago when I cooked a lot of dried beans and I figured it would be good for bone broth too. I will definitely be getting one now because doing the 3 day slow cook (in a small slowcooker) is getting to be a drag.
            Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Reporting back . . .

I said I would post how things went pressure cooking beef bones. My mom had a pressure cooker and used it, Dad would take it out on the back porch, the outside porch, to release the steam when it was finished cooking. I've never used one at all. Made some of my family nervous and the dog was not allowed in the kitchen. Moving ahead, I placed a package of knuckle bones (3 bones) and 3 packages of neck bones into the pot with 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and a cut up onion (big chunks) I filled the pot 2/3 full of water, put on the lid, followed the rest of the instructions particular to this stove top model and let it cook for 1 1/2 hours. When finished, I turned off the gas and let it sit until the steam had stopped . . . steaming. I waited an hour the manual says 15 to 20 minutes. Strained the liquid into a bowl and set it in the fridge last night. There was about 1/2 inch of solid tallow on top. Trying to get ready for work this morning, and didn't have time to see if there was gelatin under the tallow or even to take some in a container to drink at work. Going to finish all that stuff tonight. It was a nice "bronzy" color but would have been darker if I had roasted the bones before hand. Sure is faster than the crock pot. Post the end result tomorrow.
              Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Tried the Pressure Cooker bone broth this morning. Added a little salt since I didn't add any to the cooking. It was very good and would have even been better if I had taken the time to roast the bones first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                  Tried the Pressure Cooker bone broth this morning. Added a little salt since I didn't add any to the cooking. It was very good and would have even been better if I had taken the time to roast the bones first.
                  Nice firm gelatin!

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I'm sure it gets found a lot in Google searches. I've been making bone broth in the pressure cooker for about 6 months now (maybe 8 times). I must say its amazingly easy! I usually make a mixed bone broth, just what ever bones I have plus I add a couple of grass-fed soup / marrow bones. For vegetables start with standard onion, carrots, celery and then add what ever peels or marginal vegetables (e.g. just bruised, not rotten) I've saved over the past few days.

Here is what was in my last batch of mixed bone broth:
                    1 large onion cut it quarters (no need to peel)
                    1 small head of garlic, slice across the length of the garlic to expose it (again, no need to peel).
                    3-4 carrots, do not peel, just slice in half
                    4-5 celery stalks with leaves (washed to remove any dirt), sliced in half
                    peels from 4 zucchini (from another recipe)
                    6-7 black peppercorns
                    2 tablespoons vinegar (to leach minerals from the bones)
                    2 grassfed soup (marrow) bones about 2 1/2 inches thick
                    2 pork chop bones from a dinner a few weeks back (frozen)
                    1 chicken carcass
                    water was filled to the 3/4 level of my crock pot (mine has a do not fill above line)

I brought it up to pressure, put on a timer for 60 minutes, depressurized it after 60 minutes, then split the larger chicken bones with a fairly clean pair of pliers (you might can do this before cooking them but I found they don't shatter this way, they just split). Brought it back up to pressure and cooked it for another 60 minutes.

After 2 hours total cook time I used a conventional stock pot with a steamer insert to strain all the big chunks. Wiped out the pressure cooker. Then strained the broth through a fine wire mesh strainer back in to the crock pot.

By this time the cook was needing a little nourishment and had a cup of broth, very yummy with a lot of gelatin. The rest was used for a large pot chicken vegetable soup (also made in the pressure cooker).

I remember both of my grandmothers collecting bones from dinners. I think this freaks some people out as you're basically making broth from other people's leftovers. But for those that might be grossed out by this, pressure cooking kills any germ that might be present. So save those bones, even from company.
                    Last edited by MN_John; 09-24-2012, 09:20 AM.
                    ================
                    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Comment

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if those who used pressure cooker continue to use such with good results and to see if there is anything they would like to add....tips on time for beef or chicken broth, and so on. I have a huge slow cooker and ever dwindling counter space. Would like to give this a few tries.

Comment

I've used my pressure cooker for stock recently more than the slow cooker and I do find I get much firmer "gel". Also, I don't find I need to use vinegar or lemon juice - the bones soften so much that I'm sure lots of minerals etc are leaching out already.

It is ideal for stock from one or two chicken carcasses, and for smaller beef or lamb bones. I give chicken about 40 minutes; haven't re-used the bones yet but will do next time. I doubt if the 2cnd stock will have much gelatine left but will certainly have mineral content. Beef and lamb I give longer, about an hour.

BIG beef bones - I have some in the freezer - I am going to cook in the slow cooker (they don't fit in the pressure cooker at all well), and if I can split the bones into smaller pieces after they have been in the slow cooker,do the 2cnd stock attempt in the pressure cooker.

I don't put ANY veg with the bones, just a few black pepper corns and bay leaves. The stock is delicious (slightly salted) as a drink, and awesome for soups and casseroles.

Comment

I use my pressure cooker to make broth and soup/stew weekly. Its so easy and so good for you.

Typical beef broth
                          * One onion - cut in quarters, not pealed (though I rub off the dry peel as it probably has no nutritional value)
                          * One garlic head - cut the top and bottom off and cut through the middle, yes, we like garlic
                          * Celery - all the leafy tops from one package, the 4-5 small stalks in the middle, and some of the white part at the bottom.
                          * Carrots - all the leafy tops from 4-5 carrots (warning, this tends to make the broth greenish, don't use if this bothers you), plus 3-4 carrots
                          * any left over vegetable trimmings stored in freezer (not cruciferous vegetables as they'll stink it up)
                          * up to 4-5 left over steak bones
                          * 2 or 3 1 1/2 inch beef marrow bones
                          * 1 fair size (4") soup bone
                          * 2 or 3 "beef feet" (this is the part right above the hoof and below the leg/marrow bone. Your butcher knows what it is). The "beef feet" produce a lot of gelatin, glucosamine, etc.
                          * I add a teaspoon of sea salt, 6-7 pepper corns, and sometimes a tablespoon of rosemary
                          * fill with water (preferably filtered) to the full line on your cooker

Cook on low steam release for 4 - 6 hours (I don't set the timer until it starts producing steam), I sometimes stop it half way to add more water; if you keep the heat as low as possible to produce just minimal steam this really isn't necessary; also try to let it naturally depressurize so you don't lose even more liquid. When its done I strain the broth from the bones and muck in to another stock pot using its steamer insert to catch the large chunks, clean out remaining goo in the pressure cooker pot and strain stock back in to it using a fine mesh metal sieve. I use to use cheese cloth as well but find it really isn't necessary for my uses, the sieve catches most of the muck. I also don't remove the fat. I just put all the leftover bones and muck in to a double plastic grocery bag, tie it up and throw it away. The bones are probably too soft to give a pet, unless maybe you grind them up in to their regular food, best to ask an expert. You could certainly scoop out the leftover marrow for them, they'll love you even more if you do!)

I find this process to be fairly painless, no pealing, no trimming of meat, no nit picky filtering or fat removal. I then use this to make a stew. The stew is different every week and allows for experimentation. Last week it was curry beef (with extra turmeric), the beef was browned in coconut oil after being dredged in arrowroot and curry. Other ingredients were; more garlic, carrots, onion (browned with the beef in the coconut oil), fresh green beans, remaining celery, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, turnip, spices (rosemary, thyme, more curry, turmeric, fresh pepper, etc). Google "best roast for stew" and try to get grass-fed (though I don't always do that), what you want is is the tough, lean cuts without a lot of fat, but with a lot of collagen. Cook in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Excellent soup, and makes about 12 servings (in my 8 quart Fagor pressure cooker).

Chicken, turkey, lamb are fairly similar. For chicken and turkey I usually open the cooker about half way through and break the bones with pliers.

IMHO the pressure cooker is the best way to make broth. You can cook more with pressure than heat so less is destroyed by the process (or so they say). The only draw back is the steam noise, modern "open concept" homes are meant for people that don't cook much; but we just crank up the volume on the TV.

Bone broth, the true breakfast of champions!
                          Last edited by MN_John; 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM. Reason: to fix a few mistakes
                          ================
                          Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Comment

I just finished making a soup with chicken stock. I started on Sunday by cooking 2 whole chickens in the oven, in a large ceramic dish. I stripped the meat for stir fry.. and on Monday I put the bones & all the drippings from the dish into a pot. I don't have a pressure cooker yet so this one's for the long haul. 48 hours later, Wed, I sifted through the stock & crushed all the bones (although I think a brisk stir with a metal serving spoon would have broken them up at that point). Another full day later, tonight, I put the stock through a strainer to remove the bones & little bit of meat, then used a wire strainer sifter to get some of the remaining chunks out. I sampled it at this point.. delicious! Not too much flavor, as I only added some pepper to it, but a good clean flavor and a thick feeling on the way down.

I then took 8 medium organic carrots, a bag of celery, 2 very small onions and 4 fully peeled cloves of garlic over to the cutting board. I started to cook the onion and garlic in bacon grease from my fridge, and then added the carrots and celery prior to filling the pot with stock. I happened to have some turkey, I'd say about a quart perhaps.. a few pounds anyways, in my freezer in a sealed container from a few months back. I dropped the meat in the pot and filled the rest of the space with stock, leaving a few cups to freeze for another meal. I almost forgot, I added some parsley and salt. It finished simmering for a little under an hour and is very good.

I have two improvements:

1) cut up the whole turkey breast before you drop it in the stockpot, it's really big.
                            2) don't simmer it as long. carrots should not feel like pudding in the mouth.
                            3) buy a good pressure cooker.. seriously.. waiting this long with the home smelling so good is terrible.

Comment

For those that are afraid of pressure cookers from your grandmother's stories, don't be. Get a new one with modern safety features built in. Mine is a Fagor 8 quart. It has a self regulating pressure valve, just adjust the stove so you get a slight steam hissing sound. If you turn the heat up to high the valve will just release more steam which will eliminate all your liquid. In addition if the valve can't keep up (or for some reason malfunctions) and the pressure builds it has two independent over-pressure release valves. It also has a locking mechanism and visual indicator of pressure so you can't take the lid off if its still pressurized. Much, much safer than the pressure cookers of old!
                              ================

Comment

Working...
                              X