Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerky in the oven?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jerky in the oven?

    When I cook jerky in the oven, do I leave the door ajar or do I close it? I haven't been able to purchase a decent dehydrator for a decent price, and I have a batch marinating now. So, I'll have to resort to the oven.

  • #2
    I've read that you leave the oven door open a bit and keep a fan blowing towards the stove.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

    F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

    Comment


    • #3
      really?

      Comment


      • #4
        get a 12 x12 cardboar box and a 100 watt incandescent light stick
        hanf the meat in the box using skewers and turn on the light

        come back in two days
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

        Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

        CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


        Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

        Comment


        • #5
          The $10.00 Jerky Maker (from SurvivalMonkey.com)
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

          Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

          CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


          Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

          Comment


          • #6
            My oven only goes down to 170. I leave the door slightly ajar overnight and 8-10 hours seems good depending on how thick you cut your pieces. One time I left it 12-14 hours and it was a little 'overdone'.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SlimIcy View Post
              My oven only goes down to 170. I leave the door slightly ajar overnight and 8-10 hours seems good depending on how thick you cut your pieces. One time I left it 12-14 hours and it was a little 'overdone'.
              Cool. thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                You need to have the door ajar with a fan pointing in the opening to keep the air circulating. Otherwise you will get steamed meat and it will rot. I made several batches that way before giving up and buying a dehydrator.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  You need to have the door ajar with a fan pointing in the opening to keep the air circulating. Otherwise you will get steamed meat and it will rot. I made several batches that way before giving up and buying a dehydrator.
                  I did just this yeaterday, and it worked ,but I think I'll keep shopping for a dehydrator. As you said, it works, but it will get old fast.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I tried to make jerky for the first time today. I had a SUPER thin cut, and after 7 hours on 150 (no fan, door open), the jerky was a little crispy. I got a cow heart today, and I'm getting another on Friday, so I may slice that up into some thick slices and try again with a fan.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've never used a fan, but you need to leave that oven open.

                      My grandpa used to do his jerky in the backyard. He had a meat "closet" he made of a free standing frame, some racks, and then covered in chicken wire. So. Cal, in the summer, I remember wondering why there weren't ever any flies around it.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You don't need an oven or a heat source at all to make jerky. I use two box fans and pleated paper furnace filters. Alton Brown method works like a charm.

                        Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

                        Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

                        Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

                        Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

                        Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So bummed, I had a brand-new dehydrator sitting in the garage for years in it's box. About two weeks at most before going primal I gave it away. Ugh! I'd love some home-made beef jerky

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I really like the plans for the $10 dehydrator, its going on my list o' things to try soon! I was a bit stumped on how to get around the incandescent bulb, I have no way of getting these any more. Ontario banned them a couple of years ago, and they are a hot item! I did remember that I have a ceramic heat emitter from my reptile days, so I'll scrub it up and give that a go.
                            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

                            Big Fat Fiasco

                            Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                              You don't need an oven or a heat source at all to make jerky. I use two box fans and pleated paper furnace filters. Alton Brown method works like a charm.

                              Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

                              Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

                              Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

                              Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

                              Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.
                              I saw this method noted before, but the fan filters are a bit pricey around here.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X