An alternate for Coconut flour??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternate for Coconut flour??

I'm new to all this, just started reading the book a week ago!

I'm already trying some recipes, but I live on a military base in South Korea and didn't have luck finding coconut flour (or coconut oil).

What can be used in place of it? I found white rice flour and almond flour- would either of these work? Or will it change the taste too much? This is my first time trying cooking alternatives like this!!

Or will I have to order these online for recipes that call for it? All help is much appreciated!! I love my baked goods

It depends on the recipe. Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry has great almond flour recipes. You could order coconut oil and flour from www.iherb.com. They ship internationally and have great prices
    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I use almond flour. I'm not a big fan of coconut.
      Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
      Now can walk on the beach for hours.

Comment

Thank you for the info, appreciate it!

Comment

Buckwheat flour. Heavier in carbohydrates, but far, far cheaper than almond or coconut flour.

Comment

Tapioca flour? Again, heavy in carbohydrate, but ... eaten irregularly will be fine.
            Paul
            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

She's right about iHerb.com
              They have the most unbelievably low shipping rates for sending things to Korea that I've ever seen. I order from them all the time for spices, supplements, tahini, special foods. You can get a great price on a 54 oz. container of Extra virgin coconut oil. And they also have coconut flour.

Also, if you've never ordered from them before, I have a discount code that you can use to get $5 off the cost of your first order. No matter how small the order. The code is COC920

Cheers.
              Last edited by Primal in Korea; 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Don't use almond flour, rancid PUFA isn't good... Stick to rice, tapioca or potato flour.
                “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
                — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

I use unsweetened, raw, dry coconut and grind it in a coffee bean grinder or high powered blender or Fprocessor and make my own coconut flour. I like it much more than commercial processed flour.

Comment

Just to throw it in, I've found a 50/50 mix of coconut flour and almond flour gives me better results on anything fried. They balance each other a lot flavorwise and I get a crispier coating that way. I found this out by accident last month. I'm not sure why it works, but it works every time.

Comment

Working...
                    X