Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's cooking?? Anyone trying a new dish or keep making a favorite??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this recipe yesterday, does anyone have a suggestion for the sugar substitute? Also, is gelatine primal?

Dessert recipe: Red Wine Cream
    Ingredients:
    250 ml red wine (we´ve choosen an Italian Merlot)
    2 egg yolks
    80 g sugar
    6 g agar agar (vegetarian) or 4 leaves common gelatine
    250 ml cream

Preparation:
    Bring the red wine to boil. Beat the egg yolks
    and the sugar until fluffy.
    Pour the hot wine slowly in the egg-sugar mix
    and stir vigorously.
    Don´t do it conversely !
    Bring the whole mixture to boil and stir well,
    while it nearly boils, add the agar agar
    or the soaked gelatine.
    While You use agar agar boil it for a minute
    and stir always well.
    Let the cream cool down, while it starts to thicken,
    whip the cream until stiff
    and gently fold it in the red wine cream.
    Fill in glasses and refrigerate for 4 hours

Comment

The sugar is quite a lot of the total, but I would simply leave it out. If you are desperate for sweetness, add something more natural like honey rather than a processed sugar. Looking at the ingredients and the process, I think you'll like it anyway without sugar. You could always pick a less dry wine - in the UK, they're labelled 1-6 with 1 being the driest; a 2 would be perfect.

Gelatine is perfect primal - it's just collagen from animal bone.
      Paul
      http://www.pjgh.co.uk
      http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I think it would taste great minus the sugar.. if it were me, I would want tp taste the loveliness of the wine in the dessert. Or maybe I miss the point?
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35072.html
          That come tomorrow.

Comment

I made spaghetti with spaghetti squash and it turned out so delicious!

1 lb. sausage
            1 lb. ground beef

Cook with italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper

Once cooked add a large can of crushed tomatoes and more seasoning.

Cook your spaghetti squash and serve the meat sauce over it.

Next time I would add mushrooms and more veggies to the meat sauce... just didn't have it on hand.

Comment

Made an old favourite, and had forgotten how good it was:

Courgette/Zucchini and Mint Soup

2 onions, finely chopped
              2oz butter, or 1 tbspn olive oil (coconut butter would be fine, too!)
              2lbs courgettes/zucchini, finely diced
              2 handfuls fresh mint leaves
              2 pints homemade chicken broth/stock

In a large pan heat the fat, and add the onion. Fry gently until softened (about 5 - 8 minutes), then add the courgettes/zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes. Then add the stock/broth and half the mint leaves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool. Add the rest of the mint leaves and blitz until smooth (either in a blender, food processor, or with a stick blender - or even just pushed through a sieve), taste and add seasoning to taste. This can be served cold (great on a hot day - very refreshing) or hot, and is also delicious with a dollop of double/heavy cream in it, or even some tangy yoghurt. If find this quantity will serve 6, and it freezes really well if you've got a vegetable glut from your garden!

Comment

I'm doing a nice chunk of brisket in my tagine with lambs kidneys, mushrooms and Guinness (shhh ).

I use the tagine as a kind of primitive pressure cooker - I find the meat is much more moist than when done in a slow cooker or oven crock pot. The tagine recirculates steam back down to the base of the dish.

We're very low on food in the house for some reason, so we're going to have a glut of cabbage with brisket and a thick gravy from the cooking juices.

I watched a cooking programme on TV that showed Beef Massaman. This looks great! I'm going to try this tomorrow - I'll leave the peanuts out of it, I do wonder whether something like macadamias might be okay as substitutes? I may well leave nuts out altogether and just go with all manner of warming spicy ingredients and beef up the tamarind in the dish. I think I can get some pickled gourd from our local farm shop who carry a wide range of exotic spices, pickles and other such ingredients.

I'm not wanting to mess with the recipe too much, but think coconut milk simmered beef will be fantastic with a hard punch of sour and spicy ingredients. Oh, cane sugar? I guess I just leave it out. I'm not sure where I'd get any from anyway. Maybe a swirl of local honey from those hives over there (points out of the window). Maybe not ... I'll see.

Any hints for making an awesome paleo Massaman?
                Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

That turkey proved to be a life-saver, since the weekend is really hot! So we are living off sliced turkey (perfect btw from the slow-cooker), fresh chopped veggies, and the non-primal folks had smoothies yesterday. I am having gazpacho today:

cucmber, green pepper, a bit of onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, cucmber, clum juice and frozen precooked shrimps quickly rinsed under running cold water. For dinner it will be turkey, and I think I will finally make the coconut whipped cream with strawberries and currants from the garden!
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by befitby40 View Post
                    This looked good, going to try. Oh and that Chili looked AWESOME!! Custom Fit Blog » Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken
                    This DOES look good! Imma make this tomorrow or Tuesday. Will report back.

In fact, all of her recipes look good.
                    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Cor! My brisket turned out well! Leftovers in abundance for tomorrow ...

Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

ooops...guess who forgot to plan for supper i.e. take something out of the freezer???? YUP.. I so suck today. HOWEVER.. made a great BAS with precooked grilled fajita chicken. Not sure how primal the precooked chicken is but it was good and worked as a last minute save.

PAUL!! DANG IT! Why don't you live closer so i can come to dinner???? That brisket looks SO GOOD!! I am making corned beef brisket tomorrow in the crock pot. Not really sure what the "corned" means but it has peppercorns in a packet with it. It may not be St. Pat's day but we will pretend it is

Paul- how are you inserting pictures??? I can only insert on the signature
                        Karin

Comment

Oh this morning I made the bacon wrapped eggs and can we just say... DEVINE DEVINE DEVINE???
                          Karin

Comment

I tried something new yesterday...I am trying hard to eat more liver and marrow....half a pound of chicken livers, ground beef, sauteed mushrooms, onion, bacon, and butter. Mixed together into a meatloaf and bake. Top with a sauce of pureed apricot, garlic, cider vinegar and a little honey...cook a little longer.

NOT GOOD! But I am making myself eat it anyway
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

jammies- I saw a wonderful looking recipe that wrapped bacon around chicken livers and bake. I think that it would taste so good dipped in MDA bbq sauce. sorry your experiment did not go well.
                              Karin

Comment

Leida- great idea for the turkey! I usually just make the breast in the crock pot and then the possibilities are endless
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X