Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's cooking?? Anyone trying a new dish or keep making a favorite??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmering a stew of roast beef i got (offcuts) from the restaurant supply for $4 a kilo
    Beef
    onion
    Garlic
    Merlot
    Goat bone broth
    Yam
    ...and various seasonings
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

• Salmon in parchment:

Quick, easy, and delicious! Plus, you can't beat the presentation.
      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

• Originally posted by pjgh View Post
        This sounds like a really cool idea - kind of a cabbage rösti. I wonder how this might work with dried sauerkraut ... one to try out, sometime.
        Interesting idea...i'm envisioning a flavor along the lines of Salt 'n Vinegar chips.

Comment

• love the cabbage pizza idea.. am going to try it!

Ok.. not a new recipe but a find: I found a package of bacon ends and pieces (CHEAP) by the bacon. It is thick sliced and I thought wow!! In so many dishes that call for bacon where you want to focus on flavor this would be excellent. It came in a 3 pound package and I divided it up into 5 oz bags and put into freezer. This way, I save my bacon slices for enjoying the slices- ya know?
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• This is not at all revolutionary and I'm sure someone has already done it, but I just made the best italian pasta-less salad. That's what I'm calling it...It's probably closer to an anti-pasto. Quartered artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capicola ham, fresh sliced banana peppers, italian spices, salt and pepper all drizzled with olive oil and marinated overnight. It was really good. I'm thinking it would be a good side to take to a party or cookout.
            http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

• A couple of weeks ago I made a great lamb stew for a dinner party. Right now I have a huge amount of ground beef I got on sale and am getting sick of burgers, so I used the seasoning mixture from the lamb stew to make meatballs.

I put fresh onion, garlic, and olive oil in my vitamix with powdered ginger, cinnamon, salt, mexican oregano, and cumin. Then I mixed that with a couple tablespoons of almond flour and the ground beef. I made it in to meatballs, browned them in a pan, and finished them in the oven. Served over pile of mashed cauliflower with butter. Yummy!!
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

• Made rainbow/swiss chard au gratin tonight with braised short ribs, carrots and turnips! It was delicious!!! Tomorrow's menu is bacon-wrapped maple pork loin with some sauteed napa cabbage and sweet potato chips! feeling domestic lately!
                My new blog! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37215.html Come see me!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
                  This is not at all revolutionary and I'm sure someone has already done it, but I just made the best italian pasta-less salad. That's what I'm calling it...It's probably closer to an anti-pasto. Quartered artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capicola ham, fresh sliced banana peppers, italian spices, salt and pepper all drizzled with olive oil and marinated overnight. It was really good. I'm thinking it would be a good side to take to a party or cookout.
                  writing this down.. I just bought a huge jar of sun dried tomatoes in oil.. YUM
                  Karin

Comment

• Karin - sun-dried tomatoes work really well in paleo bread!

Grind 2/3 of a cup of flax seed and pound down around 1/3 of a cup nuts - macadamia or hazel are my favourites, but something oily.
                    Pour the "flour" into a bowl and sprinkle over some pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
                    Sprinkle a teaspoon of baking powder over and mix all the dry ingredients together.
                    Whisk up 2 eggs in another bowl and pour over the dry ingredients, stirring and then fold in some sun dried tomatoes without shaking off too much oil.

Scoop into an ovenproof dish with a tall, rectangular shape.
                    Bake at 180C/350F for half an hour.

You can use avocado pieces, instead for an interesting twist.

The bread is quite solid and reminiscent of heavily seeded bread. "Butter" with sour cream (if you're happy with dairy) and lay some smoked salmon and/or prawns over with a little lettuce for a Danish-style open sandwich.

I've made this a couple of times now, but have yet to photograph it.

Another fun one is to flatten out a chicken breast and stuff with sun-dried tomato, chilli, artichoke and herbs, roll the chicken up and secure with cocktail sticks. If you're pushing the boat out, wrap with Parma Ham. Oven bake for 20 minutes, or so on 200C/400F.

Personally, I'd just eat 'em out of a bowl with some bresaola as "bread".
                    Paul
                    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

• Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                      Karin - sun-dried tomatoes work really well in paleo bread!

Grind 2/3 of a cup of flax seed and pound down around 1/3 of a cup nuts - macadamia or hazel are my favourites, but something oily.
                      Pour the "flour" into a bowl and sprinkle over some pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
                      Sprinkle a teaspoon of baking powder over and mix all the dry ingredients together.
                      Whisk up 2 eggs in another bowl and pour over the dry ingredients, stirring and then fold in some sun dried tomatoes without shaking off too much oil.

Scoop into an ovenproof dish with a tall, rectangular shape.
                      Bake at 180C/350F for half an hour.

You can use avocado pieces, instead for an interesting twist.

The bread is quite solid and reminiscent of heavily seeded bread. "Butter" with sour cream (if you're happy with dairy) and lay some smoked salmon and/or prawns over with a little lettuce for a Danish-style open sandwich.

I've made this a couple of times now, but have yet to photograph it.

Another fun one is to flatten out a chicken breast and stuff with sun-dried tomato, chilli, artichoke and herbs, roll the chicken up and secure with cocktail sticks. If you're pushing the boat out, wrap with Parma Ham. Oven bake for 20 minutes, or so on 200C/400F.

Personally, I'd just eat 'em out of a bowl with some bresaola as "bread".
                      The bread sounds great but I am allergic to nuts. NUTS! sooo inconvenient! However, I like your idea of flattening the chicken breast and stuffing it with them and baking them!

Yeah.. I am at this Mediterranean restaurant last week ( they have a small market inside) and this big jar (its got to be almost a gallon) is 50% off $4.99. What's great, is it wont go bad anytime soon!!
                      Karin

Comment

• I made some breakfast pork sausage *am experimenting with recipes as commercial brands have too much salt and or MSG*.

Made a good one with: sage, thyme, salt, cracked pepper, red pepper, 100% maple syrup. It was REALLY good!! I let the flavors meld a bit overnight. FRESH is so much better than pre-packaged!! Cheaper too!!!

I have another recipe I will be trying this weekend- will keep you posted. LEt me know if you are interested in exact ingredients and I will post!
                        Karin

Comment

• No worries over the nuts Karin - just leave 'em out. Can you cope with seeds? Just use a little more flax. I only included the nuts so it didn't taste like bird food

If you're not into eating like budgies, good old chicken breast makes a great encasement for sun dried tomatoes. You know you can make them yourself (in a sunny climate, of course ... or ...) in a low heat oven.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

• i am making something very similar to "heroin chicken"... I tossed my chicken legs in dijon mustard.. dredge in a mixture of parmesan cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper... then put on cookie sheet.. drizzle with butter and bake @ 450 for 30ish minutes..

i am new to primal eating so i am still experimenting around.. this is a recipe that i used to make and it had panko in with the cheese... i just added a bit more cheese and left out the panko... here's hoping they turn out...
                            "our business in life is not to
                            get ahead of others,
                            but to get ahead of ourselves...
                            to break our own records,
                            to outstrip our yesterday
                            by our today"

Comment

• Originally posted by jomama View Post
                              i am making something very similar to "heroin chicken"... I tossed my chicken legs in dijon mustard.. dredge in a mixture of parmesan cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper... then put on cookie sheet.. drizzle with butter and bake @ 450 for 30ish minutes..

i am new to primal eating so i am still experimenting around.. this is a recipe that i used to make and it had panko in with the cheese... i just added a bit more cheese and left out the panko... here's hoping they turn out...
                              sounds good! How did it go?
                              Karin

Comment

• If you want a crunch, you can try pulverizing dry shiitake mushrooms in a coffee-grinder and using that instead of crumbs.

I really like the curry coconut meatloaf recipe from the coconut coockbook, but I do not have 1.5 hours to cook dinner, so i will probably make a curried fry up in cocnut milk sauce to serve on steamed zuccini and cauliflower.
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X