Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's cooking?? Anyone trying a new dish or keep making a favorite??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pjgh View Post
    Damn gorgeous, as ever! Brisket is THE best cut off a cow!

... that Romanescu made a little amuse bouche. Well, the stalks did:

lovely.. looks delicious!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Well school is starting up which means.. early starts.. must leave the house by 6:20am so am planning to have simple breafasts. To be honest, I am loving fried up hambuger with either shred cabbage or broccoslaw in it. Filling and satisfying in the AM not to mention a break from bacon and eggs which I do not have a whole lot of time to make. I thought I would make muffin cup frattata's as well. I figure if I cook on Sundays, I can easily make a week's worth of breakfasts and or lunches.

today at the store bought some "marrow bones". New to me but they will make great broth. I currently have some rich and tasty broth I made from a crock pot chicken I made earlier in the week.

I am going to venture in making my own sausage for this reason: Per doc's orders I have to be totally off salt/sodium/MSG etc.. Anyone have some recipes you have used and can recommend?
      Karin

Comment

• Leveraged some leftover ribeye last night: Made broth from the bone and meaty gristle (with fresh thyme), added it to sauteed onions that had been simmering in coconut milk. Made for a beautiful, filling soup.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

• here is a great recipie i use once a week to help me loose weight enjoy its
          Chicken Teriyaki and Shirataki Noodles
          Ingredients

.5 -1 lb of boneless chicken breast

1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper

1 can of baby corn

2 cups broccoli floret

1 small onion diced up

.5-1 cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce

1 bag of Miracle noodles

2 tablespoons of cooking oil

Prep time- 15-30 minutes cook time-10-14 minutes overall time 25 – 40 minutes

Directions

1.Cut the raw chicken into small cubes, place them into a plastic bag and add ¼ cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce into the bag to let the chicken marinade. Let sit for 15-30 minutes.
          2.While the chicken is soaking in the flavors, cut the peppers into strips, cut the broccoli, and dice the small onion up. (you can add any vegetables you like so you can cut the vegetables of your choice) Sometimes I use string beans, water chestnuts, and zucchini, go wild and mainly have fun.
          3.Add the oil into large skillet or wok, and heat up. Once the oil is hot in 3-5 minutes add the cut up chicken into the skillet.
          4.In a small pot start to boil water for the noodles
          5.Cook the chicken all the way thru (no longer pink) continuously moving the chicken in the pot. This should take 3-5 minutes
          6.Once the chicken is done add the cut up vegetables into the pot along with the rest of the teriyaki sauce Cook vegetables until done this should take 4-7 minutes (cook on low flame)
          7.Remember the water is still boiling! Put you weight loss noodles into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes strain the water and add the noodles to the large skillet/ wok
          8.Once the veggies are done, your low fat meal is ready to be served.
          Spice it up

- If you want to spice up your meal add red pepper flakes, or even fresh jalapenos

Comment

• Saw a bunch of rhubarb in the yard, so will make sweet onion-rhubarb sauce tonight with the porkchops. The recipe calls for red wine vinegar + sugar, I will just replace with red wine and see if it needs any sweetener.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Roasted some peaches, with a little butter where the stone sits and drizzled with a little maple syrup. Goes equally well with Duck confit or served with a splash of cream.

Going to try a couple blended with spinach and coconut milk and a couple of raw eggs tomorrow for brekkie
              Starting weight: 104.5 kg / 230 lbs (29th July 2011)
              100.5kg / 221 lbs (5th August 2011)
              Currently: 99.2kg / 218.6 lbs (23rd September 2011)

Twitter: @jon404

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                Saw a bunch of rhubarb in the yard, so will make sweet onion-rhubarb sauce tonight with the porkchops. The recipe calls for red wine vinegar + sugar, I will just replace with red wine and see if it needs any sweetener.
                Rhubarb works really well with mackerel!

Just wilt down the rhubarb - the more tart, the better, so no need for sweetener ... a splash of vodka just before serving is always nice. Grill (not sure what the US word for that is, but I mean use an overhead heat or on an open flame griddle) the fish with some lemon and coriander and put a good blob of rhubarb alongside.
                Paul
                http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

• I froze the leftover rhubarb sauce, hoping to use it on turkey... but now you've mentioned fish, I think I will try some with fish too. It did need a bit of sweetener though.

Now, if I could find a good primal recipe for a rhubarb dessert to bring to work....

Comment

• I don't think I'd call it a new dish, but I decided to put a pot of bone broth (bones in water, nothing else) on the back burner, with the tiniest flame I could muster. It's been there since Sunday and the broth is absolutely luscious, having gelatine creaminess even when hot.
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

• Ok.. I am HOOKED I tell you on bacon wrapped chicken livers and primal bbq sauce!! Made another batch last night! YUM!
                      Karin

Comment

• I made Paleo burgers from Cordaine's book yesterday with a slaw served under Plaeo mayo.

The burgers were beef and turkey instead of bison, and I used a beet instead of fennel (I know, I sound like somoene beet-obsessed, but they are right out of the garden& I am totally in love with the golden variety - all the sweetness and no mess).
                        The mayo was not bad, but I do not have any flax oil, so I only used 1/2 cup of olive oil, and found the taste too harsh. I added a bit of cocnut milk and a touch of sweetener.

Both dishes were a huge success with the crowd. My meat-cautious kiddo ate two burgers! My husband pointed out they were no burgers but Salbury steaks. Yum! I think I am getting a hang of how to cook meats so my kiddo eats them. Yay!

Comment

• Today on a whim I tested two alternatives to the classic Cauliflower Pizza. If you haven't made these before, they are rounds that can be used for pizza, tacos, enchiladas or tostadas. I liked both versions better than the cauliflower. The cabbage version had great texture:

Cabbage or Spinach Pizza Shells or Tortillas
                          Makes 2 six" rounds

1 egg
                          1 cup shredded cheese
                          1 cup shredded cabbage ( packaged coleslaw mix)*

Preheat oven to 450.
                          Mix thoroughly.
                          Spread 1/3 cup scoops on throughly greased cookie sheet ( Silpat or Non-stick Reynolds Foil are even better). Press into thin circles
                          Bake for 12-15 minutes.
                          Cool on a wire rack.

Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake until melted, or use taco toppings.
                          Variations: roll into enchiladas, fold for quesadillas, make smaller ones for tostadas

*Or use finely chopped fresh spinach instead of cabbage.
                          Last edited by Adrianag; 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• We had a favourite this evening - Wild salmon poached in butter with avocado, daikon and soured cream ... over savoy cabbage and streaky bacon, carrot juliennes, cauli and poached egg on alfalfa and leek seed cress. The dish is salmon, avocado and other things ... I change the ingredients depending upon what I have in.

As far as a meal goes, it's probably a primal supermeal (other than a big slab of steak and some greens) - wild fish, avocado, veggies and a little soured cream for the probiotics.
                            Last edited by pjgh; 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM.
                            Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Today on a whim I tested two alternatives to the classic Cauliflower Pizza. If you haven't made these before, they are rounds that can be used for pizza, tacos, enchiladas or tostadas. I liked both versions better than the cauliflower. The cabbage version had great texture:

Cabbage or Spinach Pizza Shells or Tortillas
                              Makes 2 six" rounds

1 egg
                              1 cup shredded cheese
                              1 cup shredded cabbage ( packaged coleslaw mix)*

Preheat oven to 450.
                              Mix thoroughly.
                              Spread 1/3 cup scoops on throughly greased cookie sheet ( Silpat or Non-stick Reynolds Foil are even better). Press into thin circles
                              Bake for 12-15 minutes.
                              Cool on a wire rack.

Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake until melted, or use taco toppings.
                              Variations: roll into enchiladas, fold for quesadillas, make smaller ones for tostadas

*Or use finely chopped fresh spinach instead of cabbage.
                              This sounds like a really cool idea - kind of a cabbage rösti. I wonder how this might work with dried sauerkraut ... one to try out, sometime.
                              Paul

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

• That poached salmon plate looks fantastic! I made bone broth using the Korean method two weeks ago - to give a pitcher-full to a friend going through chemo. Had a lot more so I froze it. Yesterday I braised oxtails and added the meat to some of the bone broth to make a soup - added onion and Asian radish, salt and pepper - that's it. Soooooo delicious. I also made Mark's chocolate coconut milk mousse and it was heavenly - I need to get some frozen bing cherries to have with this next time. I also made strawberry puree coconut milk popsicles, waiting in the freezer.
                                Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Working...
                                X