need recipe for "hamburger buns" with tapioca and/or white rice flours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need recipe for "hamburger buns" with tapioca and/or white rice flours

I've got hamburgers on the agenda this week. My husband is totally NOT on the PB bandwagon so I got a pkg of regular buns for his burgers but I know the kids will feel left out if they don't get them either. Having said that, I've eliminated wheat from their diet so I would really love to be able to make some buns or something for them to have instead.

I don't have any xanthan or guar gum, which I know is a key ingredient, so is there anything I CAN do for them? I'll just eat mine sans bun in either case.
    Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
    My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
    My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

What about these?

GF: Pao de quejo (aka “Chebe Bread”) Gluten Free Gobsmacked
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

Comment

Uh, why?

The bun is the most boring part of the burger. I just take my burger and eat it like a dressed steak. Tomatoes, pickles, mustard, bacon - yum!

That being said, If I NEEDED something breadlike, I would take this recipe for banana bread on the basis that it does indeed come out very bread-like, and substitute cauliflower or some type of squash for the banana. If I needed buns I would probably try and bake them individually in small, round, flat-bottomed pyrex dishes.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html

Comment

I've tried Rivvin's angry bread, and while it is fast and easy the recipe I linked is a much better approximation of bread.

Comment

I like oopsie rolls as buns
            My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
            My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

I've not made the oopsie rolls, but I do like Rivvin's angry bread for hamburgers. I make them in a dish about the size of a packaged burger bun then slice in half and toast both sides of each half in a pan with either bacon drippings or butter. They seem to hold up better that way.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by gingernut View Post
                These are GREAT! I would make them a little thinner and make each one a bun rather than splitting them. Chebe's website might have recipes for buns too; they have a lot of recipes for what to do with the mix.

Comment

I do "burger salads": pile of lettuce, then the burger patty and all the toppings I'd normally put on a burger. The "real" burgers end up looking skimpy and sad by comparison. Of course, your kids may still want that bun even though the bunned burgers are borrrrrrring.
                  Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by gingernut View Post
                    Thank you! I've actually been looking for a chebe recipe since I've heard such great things about it and I can get tapioca flour so cheap.

jhc - I agree with you, I eat my burgers that way too. But my 2-year old and 4-year old kids don't see things the same way as I do. Given the fact that my husband is not primal and still wants a bun with his, I'm not going to make my kids eat the way I do and be envious of his bun. It would be a whole lot easier to make them something of their own which would seem more special to them.
                    My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.

Comment

Alright Gingernut I just made those rolls and they are perfect! Thank you so much for posting that. They actually taste a lot like Cheddar bay biscuits to me, so I might try making them again with some Old Bay seasoning and see... but in any case, they will be perfect as hamburger "buns" for the kids. They are kind of crunchy on the outside but I made them today and planning on hamburgers tomorrow so hopefully a day in a ziplock will soften them up a bit.

Comment

This is the thread for you, pages and pages on just this subject...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html

Comment

Yay! So glad I could help! I made pizza using that recipe for the crust recently and it was pretty good, so I kept it thinking I could try the rolls if I ever got a really bad bread craving or wanted a burger bun...though I am another one loving 'burger salads' at the moment!

Hope they are a success with your kids!

Comment

How did they go down?

Comment

They went over quite well. Due to some scheduling stuff I ended up using them 2 days after they were baked so they were a little hard but the kids still liked them, and my husband voluntarily tried one and declared it good.

So then tonight I made a double batch with only 2 c of cheese, added a little flax meal and we had egg salad sandwiches. They were AWESOME. I really think that these Chebe biscuits are what Red Lobster makes their Cheddar Bay biscuits from. I need to get some Old Bay seasoning so I can test out my theory, because these just seem to have that texture and flavor better than any other duplicate I tried in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X