Paleobird's Chicken Liver Pate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleobird's Chicken Liver Pate

OMG EFFING WONDERFUL! I made some this am - to have an ezpz 50g of protein for bkfst - as an alternative to eggs/meat every day. I could easily gorge myself on this if not careful! I made only 1/2 the recipe b/c I wanted to make sure I liked it - I added sauteed mushrooms (I don't like raw shrooms) and onions - I have a feeling dd is going to eat this up like no tomorrow for a snack today after daycare!

Drain 2 lbs chicken livers for at least 20 minutes to get out excess water.
    Saute livers in 4 tbs of fat of your choice.
    Just as they are almost done, crack in 8 eggs and scramble the whole mess until eggs are cooked.
    Season with whatever you like. I like a mix of Italian herbs, garlic salt, and pepper.
    Blend with a stick blender until everything is mixed.
    Add 12 oz of sliced mushrooms and continue blending.
    Divide into 6 of the above little tubs. Refrigerate to set up. Each one should be just a tad over 250 grams.

If you want to get fancy with the pate, you can coat a dish with oil, coarsely grind pepper around the inside of the dish then put in pate. Then you can un-mold it and have pepper all over the outside.

I also sometimes add sliced olives, capers, pimentos, just to keep things interesting.
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

This sounds great! If I see chicken livers at the store this week, I'll give it a try!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

That's it, I shall try this out this weekend.
      Georgette

Comment

This looks so good! I will have to try it out. If I were to serve this at a party what you guys suggest to serve it with? I plan on having my folks over for the holidays this year and I am starting menu options now.
        Starting weight - 226
        Height - 5 ft 8 in
        Goal - When I can buy clothes without a W in the size and my doctor and I agree I have lost enough. But if you want a real number we think about 160 to 165.

Comment

pate is awesome in celery boats!
          Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
          Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
          "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

The kids kept asking for more...when they had snack time after picking them up from dcp... ds kept coming up to me pointing, squeeling and signing more! DD just asked for a spoon.. she didn't want it w/the celery...

SW 190lb
            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
            GW ~135lbs
            5'3"
            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

Comment

I made something like this with chicken liver once. Well, it was the chicken liver, eggs, and then lots of spinach with some herbs. I suspect the mushrooms will put a nice flavor curve on it. Will try it soon.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

This is pretty much how I make my pate, but I use pastured lamb or beef livers and I think some good pastured butter is the best "4 tbsp's of oil" you can use, for flavor. And instead of eggs (that's weird) I use another 3-4 tbsp's of butter when blending. Plus plenty of red wine, that's where pate gets a lot of the flavor. I saute the mushrooms and onions in red wine and butter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt3R View Post
                  This is pretty much how I make my pate, but I use pastured lamb or beef livers and I think some good pastured butter is the best "4 tbsp's of oil" you can use, for flavor. And instead of eggs (that's weird) I use another 3-4 tbsp's of butter when blending. Plus plenty of red wine, that's where pate gets a lot of the flavor. I saute the mushrooms and onions in red wine and butter too.
                  yum sounds good! may have to try it this way next time around!

SW 190lb
                  25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                  1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                  GW ~135lbs
                  5'3"

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt3R View Post
                    I've been working on a jar of goose drippings from roasting a goose a while back. That's what I've been using for the fat. Sadly, it's running out.

Comment

Julia child uses sherry and heavy cream. Sherry adds a DIVINE flavor
                      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to get some vit A and I don't have money for CLO and I know they have cheap chicken livers at WF. I tried them once before because I really need vit A. I made them wrapped in bacon. I boiled them then wrapped in bacon and cooked in stove. I thought bacon would make it good as I'd never had them before. I was wrong. It tasted like how cat food smells.. the wet kind. I forced down one, but I almost threw up it was so nasty.

So, I'm wondering does this recipe make it not taste like cat food?!! I really need to eat some high vitamin meat not just muscle meat, but this is the best I can do with the money I have right now.

Comment

I made a batch of this recipe yesterday, even though I blitzed it in the blender it is still grainy, not smooth like store bought pate. I added herbs, onion and garlic, really yummy, but had a struggle eating it this morning and have felt sick all day.

According to the breakdown on CRON-O-Meter it is totally over the top on Vit A. Can this be harmful?
                          There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmcmeaty View Post
                            I made a batch of this recipe yesterday, even though I blitzed it in the blender it is still grainy, not smooth like store bought pate.
                            Hmm, I don't know.. but if someone knows what's wrong, please let us know, I want to try making pate tomorrow!

According to the breakdown on CRON-O-Meter it is totally over the top on Vit A. Can this be harmful?
                            The USDA recommendation for Vit A is VERY low. You need way more than what they recommend.

Also remember that the RDA is the minimum you should be eating. It's ok if you go over it.
                            So do not be afraid :-)

You can take extra vitamin D3 if you are worried (the more vitamin D you have, the more vitamin A your body can tolerate; I'll update this post when I find a link with more information)
                            My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                            Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

Originally posted by abstractpersona;713529

The USDA recommendation for Vit A is VERY low. You need way more than what they recommend.

Also remember that the RDA is the [I
                              minimum[/I] you should be eating. It's ok if you go over it.
                              So do not be afraid :-)

You can take extra vitamin D3 if you are worried (the more vitamin D you have, the more vitamin A your body can tolerate; I'll update this post when I find a link with more information)
                              I hadn't considered that minimum recommendation- I just freaked when I saw my daily levels were something like 4000% of RDA!

The sickness turned out to be a stomach bug, not Vit A poisoning ; once that passed the pate went down just fine. The texture was fine too, but I will hand chop the livers next time so it has more of a chunky, 'farmhouse' texture which I prefer.
                              There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
                              X