Christmas Cookies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Cookies

Anyone have a list of good primal Christmas cookies?

Check out Elana's Pantry - lots of gluten-free recipes. Just sub the agave nectar w/ some Primal sweetener.

www.elanaspantry.com/

Comment

Thanks maba, so a wet sweetener replacement like honey. But don't use stevia to sub, right? Do you know what maple flakes are? I've never seen it before. Is this something I could find at Whole Foods?

Comment

Gigi, I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, so don't know for sure. lil_earthmomma can help, she bakes with maple syrup and honey. I guess stevia can be used too but the liquid-solid ratio conversion must be taken into account. I didn't know what maple flakes looked like until yesterday when I saw them in the baking aisle of my co-op. It looked like dehydrated maple syrup, am not entirely sure though. I would imagine that it's available at WF.

Comment

There's also z-sweet erythritol. It works well for baking. It's granular like sugar.

Comment

Coconut Macaroons. Just whip up some egg whites, add a bit of sweetener (or not) and fold in coconut flakes. Bake for about 7-9 minutes. Super easy and delicious.

Comment

I've done a lot of modifications on elana's pantry recipes, and have found that adding in mashed pumpkin or sweet potato in place of some of the liquid sweetner, then using some stevia as well (w/ maybe 1/4 of the liquid sweetner--I use honey) has worked for me...It's kind of a trial and error process though.

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/ is another awesome blog for some primal friendly dessert recipes--modifications can also be made, and she often uses stevia and erythritol.

Comment

I'm planning on doing a christmas baking series starting next week on my blog!!!

I bake with honey and maple syrup, and I'm almost always able to cut down the amount considerably!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

Ooo--would you share a link to your blog lil_earthmomma???

Comment

To everyone that bakes some Christmas cookies, be sure to send me some, I can help you determine if they taste good - I'm quite good at it.

Comment

We're doing truffles this year along with two standard recipes. I have to admit to thinking of coconut macaroons, too, and also - if I can find the recipe - these yummy Martha Stewart cinnamon almond cookies that can be cut into shapes. When I find the recipe, I'll post it. I know it's a little high on the sugar, but that can be cut down or replaced.

@ lil EM, I second the blog link! Definitely want to see your baking!

Comment

I second the truffles idea. Truffles are a fabulous alternative if you're a chocolate lover....basically just dark chocolate, heavy cream and butter...and that's it. You don't really need any extra sweetener either.

Some truffle recipes:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateTruffles.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ruffles-233316

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Comment

Couple of months ago I came across a cookie recipe that uses coconut flower. It was in Women's World. It just plain shocked me. I was ready to cut it out and put it on a wall. Gluten free cookies in a main-stream magazine. Now we're talking.

Comment

http://gourmetinterrupted.blogspot.com/

I'll be doing a variety of cookies etc. but what I'm really stoked about is the cheesecake bites I plan on making!!!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Just a quick note about honey.

From the perspective of how it breaks down in your body (fructose, glucose) honey is basically the same as table sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Personally, if you are using any sweetener with calories in it, I'd recommend pure glucose. (Corn Sugar.)

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Working...
                              X