Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really don't want to make my own mayo/ketchup/mustard....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I really don't want to make my own mayo/ketchup/mustard....

    So would it be that bad if I just use regular mayo, ketchup and mustard on my primal burgers? I mean I eat this primal burger at least once a week. If my goal was to lose belly fat and get ripped, will this affect it at all? Just curious, because a burger without these 3 things for me really does suck. However, I don't wish to make my own either. Must I give these 3 things up? Thanks in advanced.

  • #2
    Regular mustard is usually fine.

    I rarely use ketchup, so I can't say on that, but I seem to remember it's loaded with sugar or HFCS.

    Mayo? Yeah, it's the same problem as finding a ready-made salad dressing. It's virtually impossible to find one that isn't made with safflower or canola or soybean oil, none of which are good for you. Even the ones that say "Made with olive oil" tend to have very small amounts of olive oil and mostly soybean oil.

    I have yet to try making mayo myself, but I probably will today. Lots of good videos on here and some of the Primal/Paleo blogs about it. Otherwise, I end up just doing without or using something different.
    Durp.

    Comment


    • #3
      I use mayo and mustard, with only occasional ketchup. Ketchup gets a bit too sweet when you get away from sugar. It's your way of eating -- your choice. And everyone's body responds differently.
      The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

      Griff's Cholesterol Primer

      Comment


      • #4
        I use organic mayo and ketchup... but then again my goal isn't to "get ripped" either.

        Really, I think you'll be ok if you're not drowning your food in the stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          there are a few no sugar added ketchups out there that might be ok. i havent tried them though

          here is the ingrediant list for Organicville Organic No Added Sugar Ketchup which gets good reviews on amazon.com

          Ingredients
          Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic White Vinegar, Salt, Organic Onion Powder and Organic Spices

          Organic Ketchup Organicville Foods

          i think i saw some at my local grocery store the other day, might have to try it
          Primal Chaos
          37yo 6'5"
          6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
          current 338lbs 49" waist
          goal 240lbs 35" waist

          Comment


          • #6
            I use conventional condiments, but very rarely. I think that unless you are eating several tablespoons worth once a week usage is probably not a big deal. Also, I second finding ketchup to be very sweet now.
            No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
            -Maimonodies

            The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

            Babes with BBQ

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not a fan of agave, but there are brands with regular sugar, or none added. Those, I think, would be better.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been using and liking these!

                Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                Regular mustard is usually fine.

                I rarely use ketchup, so I can't say on that, but I seem to remember it's loaded with sugar or HFCS.

                Mayo? Yeah, it's the same problem as finding a ready-made salad dressing. It's virtually impossible to find one that isn't made with safflower or canola or soybean oil, none of which are good for you. Even the ones that say "Made with olive oil" tend to have very small amounts of olive oil and mostly soybean oil.

                I have yet to try making mayo myself, but I probably will today. Lots of good videos on here and some of the Primal/Paleo blogs about it. Otherwise, I end up just doing without or using something different.

                In the condiment/salad dressing/marinade etc. aisle in my market (Stater Bros.) I've been trying the Walden Farms brand of salad dressing and barbecue sauce. I like them and they are no sugar, no carbs. Heinz makes a "No Added Sugar" ketchup that I like and use too.
                Last edited by Rosemary 231; 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

                Comment


                • #9
                  That is what the 20% is for. So you don't have to get obsessive and start making every condiment.

                  Unless you're weird like me and ENJOY making condiments... :/


                  Crap! I'm An Adult!

                  My Primal Journal

                  http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                    I'm not a fan of agave, but there are brands with regular sugar, or none added. Those, I think, would be better.
                    i have never tried it. supposed to be sweeter then regular sugar i guess
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                      In the condiment/salad dressing/marinade etc. asile in my market (Stater Bros.) I've been trying the Walden Farms brand of salad dressing and barbecue sauce. I like them and they are no sugar, no carbs. Heinz makes a "No Added Sugar" ketchup that I like and use too.
                      I went to their website, but they don't say what kind of oil they use. That's usually the problem for me as far as salad dessings go. I'll have to take a look next time I go to the store.
                      Durp.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use the organic ketchup and Dijon mustard from Trader Joe's. The kecthup does have some sugar but it's minimal and it takes me all summer to finish a bottle so I'm not worried! The mustard is water, mustard seed, wine, and vinegar. Nothing to worry about there. I'm between mayos. I do eat small amounts of soy IF it's organic so I'm willing to wiggle a little there. I'm still looking before I buy though! I havan't had success making it in the past.
                        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Heinz makes "simply heinz" which has all recognizable ingredients *happy dance*. I don't mind using it at all. Mustard, usually, is always primal (vinegar, mustard, spice).
                          Personally, the best I've been able to find at market is safflower mayo (canola & soy free), and I use it to make chipotle mayo. Sooooo good!
                          --Trish (Bork)
                          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                            Heinz makes "simply heinz" which has all recognizable ingredients *happy dance*. I don't mind using it at all. Mustard, usually, is always primal (vinegar, mustard, spice).
                            Personally, the best I've been able to find at market is safflower mayo (canola & soy free), and I use it to make chipotle mayo. Sooooo good!
                            Where did you buy the safflower mayo? What brand is it, I would love to get some

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ivey View Post
                              Where did you buy the safflower mayo? What brand is it, I would love to get some
                              I got it at my local health food store (Sunflower Market, but I'm also blessed to have Good Earth & Real Foods within walking distance)
                              The brand is Hain
                              after that, I just got my hands on the best (ingredient-wise) can of chipotles in adobo that I could access & went to town with the mayo!
                              --Trish (Bork)
                              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X