Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a tongue and a heart in my crock pot right now...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a tongue and a heart in my crock pot right now...

I'm not sure if I should be excited, or scared! LOL

My plan at the moment is to cook the tongue and heart a few hours (just salt pepper and water in there right now), then peel it and stick it back in the crock pot with some tomato sauce and mexican style seasonings, maybe some bacon fat too.

Those of you who have done tongue or heart, does this sound like a good plan?

Sounds good to me.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

you have to peel the tongue?

Comment

Yes - you DO have to peel the tongue. And remove the little bones at the back of it - then it is fine. But it is like meat wrapped in a wrapper and protective bits! Delicious when prepared and cooked ......

Comment

Tongue is tasty!
          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

i've never had it... i'm not against it.

who wants to make it for me!?

Comment

Tongue is delicious, so is heart. So when's dinner, and directions please
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

WalMart tongue

I saw a tongue at WalMart today. I just couldn't do it. I looks just like a big tongue!

Comment

Peeling the tongue was...interesting! It literally smelled like cow breath while I was peeling it, but that went away when it was fully peeled. I chopped the tongue and the heart into bite sized stew pieces, added a quart of homemade tomato sauce, a chopped onion, some chopped cilantro, and a bunch of cumin. It smells quite delicious now!

Comment

Heart can just be cooked in the suace. I made a green curry using beef heart and veal kidney the other day. Made up the sauce then added diced heart and kidney. Cooked on low on the stove for about 2.5hrs.

Agree that tongue is trickier as it needs peeling
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I used to go to a Korean BBQ place that had tongue. They sliced it thin, and you grilled it over coals on the table, and it was DELICIOUS.

Comment

Hmm. It has a flavor that is distinct, and I get the feeling I've had it before, although I don't know where. Once you get over the "I'm eating tongue" weirdness, it's actually quite good. I think next time I'll trim some off even below the part you peel off, those bits are the ones that have the slight cow breath flavor. The heart is delicious!

Comment

Well I have only had bison tongue which the Indians revered for good reason. I find that spices in the crock pot while cooking don't do much since the tongue membrane stops them from infusing the meat. You absolutely have to peel the outer membrane. My advice would be to peel it, and then slice it then cross wise. Each morning I'll fry up a few of those slices in butter with some spices. It's a great breakfast and one tongue will last for about 3 or 4 breakfasts. I usually go through a bison tongue a week or so, it's the breakfast of champions.

Comment

Points if it's a cat's tongue, and a black heart.

Comment

I have a hard time finding tongue for sale, let alone bison tongue. I'm envious on one a week!
                              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Working...
                              X