To-Die-For Coconut Flour Muffins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To-Die-For Coconut Flour Muffins

I bought some coconut flour, determined to be able to substitute for some of the wheat flour I've given up. I knew not everything would be spot-on, but I was disappointed that I had to throw away my first batch of muffins. They were not good, candidates for paper weights. So, I dug around for recipes, finally hit on this one. It is excellent with chocolate chips, and I imagine it'll be pretty good with dried fruit, etc. Anyhow, here's the recipe, and it is yum!

Ingredients:
    6 eggs
    4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup Coconut Flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients together, throw in an add-in if you’d like, then pour batter into a well greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 15-17 min. Makes 12 muffins. I was just thinking these would be really good with some cinnamon added. I'll try that next!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

This is pretty much the standard recipe for coconut flour muffins, but one thing I've found that lightens them up a ton is to use 1 - 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and baking soda instead of baking powder. It really seems to make a big difference for me, at least. I also whip the egg whites seperately and then fold them into the batter.

Add in some pecans, cinnamon, and some crunched up 85% green and blacks chocolate and you've got a healthy breakfast muffin.

I also don't use honey and use powdered stevia instead.

Comment

Also, I love blueberries in mine

Comment

Sounds delish. I've made some variations on these. I agree about whipping the egg whites. It makes a difference. I would totally stick with the honey!
        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

That sounds awesome with blueberries! I haven't tried the baking soda with apple cider vinegar -- good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
            This is pretty much the standard recipe for coconut flour muffins, but one thing I've found that lightens them up a ton is to use 1 - 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and baking soda instead of baking powder. It really seems to make a big difference for me, at least. I also whip the egg whites seperately and then fold them into the batter.

Add in some pecans, cinnamon, and some crunched up 85% green and blacks chocolate and you've got a healthy breakfast muffin.

I also don't use honey and use powdered stevia instead.
            love this. that's totally my kind of style! i love ACV... always forget it's great for baking!... and the stevia, of course
            live mindfully.
            she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

Is it egg whites only or the whole egg? I used six whole eggs...did I ruin them?
              ~Danielle~

Comment

I've been using whole eggs, too, and mine turned out yummy, so you're good.
                Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctus Real View Post
                  I've been using whole eggs, too, and mine turned out yummy, so you're good.
                  If I only used egg whites would the muffins be whiter?

They were still yummy, I added blueberries and a little cinnamon , they were good.

Ill try the acv/splenda kind next time!
                  ~Danielle~

Comment

These sound really good. How long will these last? I just got my first shipment of coconut flour & oil.

...and can I use raw honey? I'm not much of a baker hehe.
                    Last edited by JVAMan; 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Lemon Blueberry Coconut Muffins

This is a version of the original recipe, incorporating some of Riven's suggestions and adding lemon and blueberries. I made mine in muffin top pans. They turned out great, nice and light.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:
                      6 eggs, separated
                      1/4 cup honey
                      12 drops stevia concentrate
                      1/4 teaspoon salt
                      1/2 cup Coconut Flour
                      1/2 tsp baking soda
                      1 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
                      1 tsp grated lemon rind
                      1-2 tbsp. Lemon juice
                      1/4+ cup blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
                      2. Separate egg whites, beat until stiff
                      3. Mix egg yolks and remaining ingredients, except blueberries, until smooth
                      4. Stir 3/4 cup of whipped egg whites into batter to lighten it
                      5. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter until smooth.
                      6. Fold blueberries into batter

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full, bake for 12-15 minutes.
                      Last edited by Adrianag; 07-17-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

That sounds really good!
                        Durp.

Comment

Almond flour good in place of coconut flour?

I may get some coconut flour tomorrow anyway but I do have all the ingredients sans the almond flour for the coconut flour.
                          "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                            Almond flour good in place of coconut flour?

I may get some coconut flour tomorrow anyway but I do have all the ingredients sans the almond flour for the coconut flour.
                            You cannot substitute almond flour one for one for coconut flour. I would start with 1/2 a cup and add more to get a good dense muffin batter.

Comment

Date Muffins

Originally posted by Sanctus Real View Post
                              I bought some coconut flour, determined to be able to substitute for some of the wheat flour I've given up. I knew not everything would be spot-on, but I was disappointed that I had to throw away my first batch of muffins. They were not good, candidates for paper weights. So, I dug around for recipes, finally hit on this one. It is excellent with chocolate chips, and I imagine it'll be pretty good with dried fruit, etc. Anyhow, here's the recipe, and it is yum!

Ingredients:
                              6 eggs
                              1/2 cup honey
                              1/4 teaspoon salt
                              1/2 cup Coconut Flour
                              1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients together, throw in an add-in if you’d like, then pour batter into a well greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 15-17 min. Makes 12 muffins. I was just thinking these would be really good with some cinnamon added. I'll try that next!
                              I just made these and added 2/3 c chopped walnuts, 1/3 c chopped dates, 1/3 c shredded coconut, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. They were fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                              X